BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Average salary for AE artist

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paterno
Average salary for AE artist
on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:29:34 pm

I am sure this has been asked before but I am curious as I am contemplating a job offer. I am currently working as a freelance AE artist for the same company that wants to hire me on staff. The company, a large advertising agency, is located in Philadelphia and the bulk of their work is with large corporations. The work itself isn't the most exciting but they like what i have done so far and they are exceptionally busy...so they are looking to add another staff AE person asap.

I have been enjoying freelancing for the past 3 months. Before then, I was on staff at a production house. Obviously the pay is better freelancing but with a family, I would like to move back to a position where I have benefits.

So, can anyone chime in with at least a range? Forgot to mention that I am 32 with 10 years experience.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Average salary for AE artist
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:47:58 pm

The bottom line is; you're worth whatever you can get them to pay you. So, you might as well aim high. Negotiate downwards if you have to but have a minimum in mind. If they won't pay what you want, try to get more benefits to sweeten the deal. I wouldn't sell myself to anybody full time for less than $80k w/benefits. But that's me.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:32:06 pm

The bottom line is; you're worth whatever you can get them to pay you. So, you might as well aim high. Negotiate downwards if you have to but have a minimum in mind. If they won't pay what you want, try to get more benefits to sweeten the deal. I wouldn't sell myself to anybody full time for less than $80k w/benefits. But that's me.

I second that, if you are a very experienced AE guy with 10 years of experience you would be worth 80K to me.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Jun 9, 2010 at 6:34:23 pm

Damn, 80k? I'd love to hear if they went for that. Due to saturation of AE artist in LA, I know a lot of people who are lucky to get 45k.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:41:35 pm

A fundamental business principle: don't try to read their minds. Ask 'em.

You're right, it will be less than what you're making now. My step into corporate life cost me tens of thousands of dollars. Ten years later, I still wasn't making as much as when I was paying myself.

But add 30% for the value of benefits (more if they're matching 401K...probably not in your case), security (including how few salaried gigs are left), the almost incalculable value of paid vacation and sick leave...my guess is that you'll know IMMEDIATELY whether you'll want to take their offer, the SECOND you hear what it is.

Keep in mind that there's a sense in which nobody currently working has ANY advice to offer you about rates. Chances are good that they were hired in a different climate, and came in at a higher level that you may never reach. That's the way the calendar crumbles.

So ask them. I'm curious how you'll feel about their offer, and would certainly love to hear how it turns out.

Hey, and FWIW, consider the general lack of challenge as one of the benefits. Having extra mental bandwidth for yourself is worth a whole, whole lot.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:15:36 pm

As a facility owner in the midwest, I have hard-time believing an AE artist with 10 years experience is going to get $80k, even in Philadelphia!

We've worked with a handful of clients based in Philadephia and we've been shocked by their expectations on rates. They think OUR rates are high! They think charging $100 for a piece of needle-drop music is high. They think charging $500 for a national quality voice-over track is high. They think charging $85/hour for scriptwriting is high!

Anyway...I have to agree with Tim. There is so much more to consider when taking a full-time job than just the salary. Work environment, cameraderie, heck...even fun. Are they a fun bunch? Are the work conditions pleasant? Are they mindful that you have a life outside work? Are they fair about comp time if a project requires extra work or overtime? All of that can make a HUGE difference when it comes to assessing a salary offer.

Money is great, but if you're miserable making $100k...it still sucks!

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com
Read our blog http://www.videomi.com/blog

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:33:43 pm

As a facility owner in the midwest, I have hard-time believing an AE artist with 10 years experience is going to get $80k, even in Philadelphia!

Then I am overpaying my people, some heads will roll! All joking aside I understand your point and agree. The guys that work for me are hardcore AE guys that work at breakneck speed and churn out high quality stuff all the time. Depending on your market and clientèle those rates will definitely vary.

We deal with our share of "unbelievers" at our rates but we usually send them elsewhere (like craigslist).

And like to think I am a fair and just employer but I hope people that work for me think that way as well.

NOW GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:35:43 pm

If Bill can get 80K a year He should JUMP ON IT
A good salary for a AE guy in any market.
He is not bringing any clients with him so his value is lower
than if he were negotiating with a post house.
Bill, Jump on the 80K or whatever because the hidden
message here is that your client wants to spend less money
for whatever you are providing them with.
They are telegraphing you here.
If it's not you, It's for sure going to be somebody else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]