BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Rate Card Addendum

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
John DavidsonRate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:19:48 am

I recently decided to add a few new fees to our rate card to alleviate any confusion about unexpected charges. Do you guys think any of these are out of line?
Thanks,
John

Rate Card Addendum:

As part of our ongoing process to stay both client-centric as well as competitive, we've added a few updates to our rate card. The following rates will go in effect starting Jan 1, 2010.

Questioning our use of ProRes codec: $1000 per offense.

Questioning any codec, either for web reference or delivery: $1000.

HD cost per hour is unchanged, with certain exceptions:
1. You provide a home burned DVD that 'should have some clips we need on there'. $5000 per disk.
2. Youtube source is requested - $2000 per clip.

If you would like us to provide an emailed explanation as to why a quicktime web video labeled 'rough audio' doesn't have the VO announcer you requested, the cost is $1000 per email, with an additional $500 per reassurance/reply.

If you bring a Windows PC into my office, there's a $500 disgust fee.

If you ask for an EDL at the end of the project, despite the fact that it won't work in any system currently in production and I explain this to you, the cost will be $2000 per edl, plus whatever costs are incurred by sterilizing you from breeding.

If you tell me to 'go ahead and bill for half the cost' at the beginning of the project, and then tell me 'we don't pay till we get paid' at the end of the same project, you will be required to pay for microphone stand I break by beating you.

Interacting with in-house engineers who haven't learned anything new in 20 years will be rated at $500 per minute.

We do not respond to emails generated from Lotus Notes.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 11:28:54 am

I think you are onto something here, but you should change one line to:

People who say 'go ahead and bill for half the cost' at the beginning of the project, and then tell me 'we don't pay till we get paid' will be submitted to the fair and swift justice of the tribunal for summary execution.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:28:54 pm

Classic, John. Simply classic.

I will add one of my own -- from recent experience: Moaning and whining when a project comes it at the exact, quoted budget even after I've discounted in a few places to keep from going over. First 10 seconds of complaining, $1,000, each successive 5 seconds an additional 20% premium over the original budgeted amount. Bringing it up again before paying the bill, waterboarding until the whimpering stops.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:46:21 pm

There should be a fee for re-compressing and cross-converting the work to a lesser-quality format because the client won't or can't update the software on their end to view the actual product. Which of course is a spot about maximizing quality.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:35:20 pm

Client: (10pm, Saturday) Hi, we lost all the tape and digital masters you gave us, including all the web content. We need you to give us back new copies right away, like right now!!!

Me: No problem, I'll get on it right away!!!

Client: Oh by the way, I know we asked for BetaSp copies we need the project on HDCAM now and also change the web compressions from quicktime to windows media player and provide three different resolutions as opposed to the one from previous request.

Me: Sure let me get you a quote of how much it...

Client: Quote??? What??We already paid you for this???

Me: Yes but I already gave you what you paid for and you are asking for different things now, 10pm on a saturday.

Client: I am not paying you again.

Me: Ok, goodnight.

Client: Wait!!! So can I send somebody over in an hour to pick them up?

Me: look, I can give you digital copies of the master and web compressions for free but we charge $25 BetaSP copies.

Client: Mumble Grumble....Ok what can you give me for $5?

Me: A dial tone (click).

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2010 at 3:54:00 pm

Is this "everybody imitate Bob day"? :-)

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:06:06 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Is this "everybody imitate Bob day"? :-)"

I sure hope so!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:42:48 am

Emre,

Do we share a client? It sure sounds like it from your post! ;-)

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:34:51 pm

Including your graphics from PowerPoint into your video: $250 per image.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:43:46 pm

You would not believe the size of boat I could buy if that was an option.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:58:52 pm

Telling us "I think the logo's on our website, just use that" when a vector file of the artwork is requested...

$1575 per request.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:18:08 pm

Including Powerpoint slides in your video that were created on a machine running Win 2k and with a custom font that the art director "just LOVED" which was in turn created using Fontastic circa 1997 - by the girl he was dating at the time. Priceless.

Return to posts index

Stephanie FredericRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:41:11 pm

I'm new, but I'm in agreement. Mind if we "borrow" a few of those ideas?

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Rate Card Addendum
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 7:47:37 am

Mixing elements from the 3 different design proposals to create a new monster: $1,650 per element.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]