BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Missing NIC & DVD Decoder

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HughesMissing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:03:20 pm

Sorry to ask a question unrelated to Production/Post-Production, but there's nothing that comes close to the level of intelligence, experience and practicality of the contributors to these boards.

I have an older Dell Dimension 2350 desktop computer. I wiped it clean and restored it with the Dell restore disk. When I plug in my ethernet cable, I can't get the internet. Comcast tried to help me but said the computer needs a NIC, a network interface card. I searched the message boards for this computer, tried everything that was suggested, including re-restoring the computer, but can't get the internet. Any suggestions?

Also, it won't play a DVD. It throws up an alert that says Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer. What is the solution to this and why isn't it part of the restore disk?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: Missing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 4, 2010 at 12:40:24 am

You probably just need a driver for the network card. And you'll need some DVD player software, not Window Media Player. Try VLC from

Post production is not an afterthought!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Missing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 5:26:08 pm

Windows computers may come with a DVD drive, but not necessarily DVD playback software. We encounter this all the time with clients on large corporate networks.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Thomas HughesRe: Missing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 6, 2010 at 6:53:26 pm

Thank you for your help. I literally was without a NIC, nowhere to be found on my computer. On the Dell message boards, I searched this problem and was guided to the NIC download. I had to download it from another computer to a flash drive since I didn't have internet access from this computer, then was able to load it and presto instant internet. The other issue, the DVD decoder, again on the message boards I was guided to a free download. I downloaded it and presto perfect DVD playback. I'm not at that computer right now, so I don't remember the name of the free DVD decoder download, but if anyone needs it let me know and I'll get the name.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Micah McDowellRe: Missing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 9:50:09 pm

I'd be very, very cautious with free DVD decoder software.

I downloaded a "free" decoder codec once, and while it certainly worked, it also came with a full compliment of spyware and whatnot that started trying to take over my machine. Generally, DVD decoder codecs cost money, and I wouldn't touch the ones that do not. I could be wrong, but you might want to do a virus/spyware scan to be safe.

VLC player is a free download and plays DVDs (and just about everything else) nicely, spyware-free. However, it's a standalone application, and not a codec package, so Windows Media Player still won't play a DVD with VLC installed.

Return to posts index

Thomas HughesRe: Missing NIC & DVD Decoder
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 10:03:09 pm

Good advice. Thank you. It's my home computer. I'm at the office and just now quickly accessed my home computer to do a scan. I use Trend Micro for that. It actually had just finished a routine scan. A few things showed up, and were taken care of by Trend, but nothing out of the ordinary. While I was on the computer I checked to see what the decoder software is called. It's called K-Lite. Thanks again.

Thomas H

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved