BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Another one bites the dust

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Curren
Another one bites the dust
on May 27, 2010 at 4:54:55 pm

Matchframe Video in Burbank closed their doors yesterday. All the staff were laid off with about 1 hour's notice.

Since i was employee number on there, and spent 16 years helping to build the place, this is particularly sad. I still have friends who worked there.

It's a testament to the fact that bad management can even ruin a solid company with a great staff.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Another one bites the dust
on May 27, 2010 at 5:53:37 pm

WOW! Really? Holy cow...I worked on so many shows that were onlined there.

Keep up your GOOD management Terry...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 27, 2010 at 6:04:11 pm

Ugh!!! I hate to hear that news. They were once so busy too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2010 at 6:46:14 pm

This is always sad to hear, but I'd have to wonder if the economy isn't a major factor, coupled with the trend to go lone gunman with your post since the gear has come down so far in cost.

I can remember walking down some streets just off the Magnificent Mile and seeing too many post houses to count, when I was a college student in Chicago. And those were HUGE places. The DV revolution killed off a lot of what hadn't already succumbed to the recession and the rise of boutique editing shops.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 27, 2010 at 7:00:07 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I'd have to wonder if the economy isn't a major factor, coupled with the trend to go lone gunman with your post since the gear has come down so far in cost.
"

Undoubtedly true Mark.

In addition, as I recently found out when visiting my home state of Louisiana, the huge tax incentives that are being dished out in states other than California, now apply to post and to equipment as well.

In the past, Hollywood production went to those states, but post was typically brought back home for a Hollywood finish. Now, a 30% kickback on post, facility build-out, equipment purchases, and even music recording has taken the whole enchilada away from Hollywood. And Gov. Arnie, who vowed to bring the biz back, has effectively failed miserably.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 27, 2010 at 7:30:38 pm

What is now called "River North" - the whole area from the Chicago River up to maybe Chicago Ave. was full of the edit facilities, sound shops, optical houses, at least three full service motion labs (Astro, Douglas, Cinema Processors) and a lot of production houses.

Ahh, memories.

We're getting old, Mark.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2010 at 9:05:12 pm

Speak for yourself, Alan; I just turned 49 this month and consider myself only "2-pass" still:-) OTOH somebody has seriously messed up all the mirrors in my house because they do not read right.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on May 27, 2010 at 11:17:33 pm

Mirrors out of adjustment? Yours too?

Mine seem to have been miscalibrated to "gray hair" mode.

Who do I write to to complain about that?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 27, 2010 at 8:18:48 pm

Well it's a depression and easy to obtain technology that is leading the evolution of video but it's the failure to evolve that closes these places doors. You just can't buy a francy couch and expect to bill 4 times the amount of worth. That was neat in the 80s... which is where minds of these failing managers dwell. These places made a fortune out of double and tripple billing. You know the game. Send stuff to the audio room and other elements to the animation department when the client just needs a show. This workflow was required 20 years as there was no other way to do it. Now that there are other ways of doing it, well, they should probaly live in the now and make a show. Companies can't afford budget surprises anymore and they are no longer impressed with the most expensive in town. They'd rather just have the best.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2010 at 9:09:24 pm

G-man, you bring up a good point, in that back in the day, billing on a cost-plus basis was the thing, with the mad men at the mega ad agencies footing all the bills. They were all off buying Rolexes and sports cars and snorting coke off off buxom companions and didn't care about overages, as long as things looked cool and got done on time. In cost-plus contracts, there is no incentive to save anybody anything; the more things cost, the more you make as a percentage OFF of that cost. Well, that ride came to a bumpy end by the mid-eighties.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 27, 2010 at 8:11:32 pm

It's amazing how many places with unlimited potential are so eager to place folks with no experience in management seats. We've all seen it. Frustrating as an artist when you know what is on the horizon for the very place yer trying to build up. In a nutshell it's why I finally had to fire all bosses.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 28, 2010 at 2:44:19 am

Within a few hours of this news I've already received offers from other post houses to "Come here to finish your project!" I picked up a NTSC to PAL conversion order from Matchframe just yesterday! Whew! Glad we got it out of their vaults before they padlocked the doors. Anyone wanna buy a used Davinci? Cheap?

Mark

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on May 28, 2010 at 3:01:53 am

"Within a few hours of this news I've already received offers from other post houses to "Come here to finish your project!"

Whole lot of LOVE in this Business

If you want to see the best in Humanity throw
10 people in a box with enough food for 9
The corpse isn't even cold yet and the Vultures
have smelt the dead meat.
It doesn't make me warm and fuzzy

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Neil Hurwitz
on May 28, 2010 at 2:56:33 am

Hi Terence,
Would you please expand on your "Bad Management"
comment. I am in NYC so have no dog in this nor do I know
any of the principals. I just seek knowledge.
I myself closed a Big Iron facility in January of 2000
This was a direct result of the internet bubble. Commercial space
in NYC was bid up and over 50.00 per square foot by
Dot.Com start ups with a ping pong table, a dog, a business plan
and 25,000,000.00 in IPO money and NO PRODUCT. So after being in the same spot for 15 years and at the end of a 15 year lease I was
presented with a 400,000 rent increase. No amount of better management would have changed the landlords position. I was there for
15 years, they owned the building for 18 months. Things happen in business that are somewhat out of the control of management.
Facilities close for a variety of reasons. In ten years from now
all of what we do might be outsourced to China via 1000GB internet
connections being wirelesly piped to the 10th generation Ipad.
Oh that's impossible you say, well I for one, who once
spent 15,000.00 on a pair of 3 gig Avid Rmag drives 18 years ago
(one of BZ's first installs, I can still hear him swear out a Quadra 950) Have no problem invisioning it at all.
Now 15,000 will by you 32 TB and I got 8 gigs on my key chain.
I wouldn't want to be the guy who buys a big Facilis system the day before BZ and gang announce their 10gige FCOE for 1/5 th money.

The point being If you blame bad management, I'd like to know specifically what you mean?
What did they do wrong?
This is a good learning opportunity.

My advice to all facility owners is to keep your eyes on two lines
and a number. The first line being revenue over time. The second being expense over time. The number being, If you pulled the plug
tomorrow what would you walk away with after settling all obligations . It is quite resonable to
think that this case was "Good Management" in that perhaps they
pulled the plug without missing the next payroll, without
stiffing their suppliers, without not paying freelancers,
without taking on personal liability
for unpaid taxes, without missing medical insurance premiums and letting everyone's insurance lapse, Knowing when to pull the plug
can be good management
I hope it doesn't happen to any here BUT for sure their is some
kid in high school somewhere with a dream of Hollywood and eyes on your rice bowl.

Neil Hurwitz

Return to posts index

Terence Curren
on May 28, 2010 at 3:10:13 am

There is a lot to learn from the story, and i can't do it justice in a sound bite. I will expound more this weekend when I have some time.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]