BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Now THIS is how to ask for a job

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonNow THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 13, 2010 at 8:49:13 pm

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 13, 2010 at 8:58:12 pm

So in other words, the people looking for a job posted an ad for themselves, knowing that when they applied to companies they would be googled. I wonder what the content of the ad and the links looked like.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 13, 2010 at 9:31:04 pm

More like he did the equivalent of this:

You can't hate the guy for having the good idea and the guts to try it. That's what ad agencies need.

Return to posts index

Matt SepetaRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 13, 2010 at 9:40:26 pm

Mike, I think you got it wrong.

I believe this was totally unsolicited. The prospective (Alec Brownstein) made up adword campaigns (one for each CD of the firms he wanted to work at), counting on the fact that people like to google themselves from time to time.

When the time came that the CD googled himself, he saw the personalized job request from Alec.

Alec essentially posted an ad for a Creative Director, not for himself. I wonder how long the ads were up before he got the first email?

Sheeeeer genius.

Good Day
http://www.mattsepeta.com

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 13, 2010 at 10:26:45 pm

[Matt Sepeta] "I believe this was totally unsolicited. The prospective (Alec Brownstein) made up adword campaigns (one for each CD of the firms he wanted to work at), counting on the fact that people like to google themselves from time to time."

That's it exactly. The movie shows exactly how one of the ads looked - pasted below.

The entire content of the ad was "Googling yourself is a lot of fun. Hiring me is fun, too."

He targeted 5 guys, got replies from 4 of them, and job offers from 2 of them.

Nobody else was bidding on the names, so he got them for 10 cents/click each. The whole campaign cost him $6.

Here are a couple more details, but you've already heard the best stuff.

Genius.

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 14, 2010 at 8:13:08 pm

This guy is brilliant. He should've gotten job offers from all of them!! I'm takin' notes...

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Now THIS is how to ask for a job
by on May 16, 2010 at 6:16:42 am

I remember this campaign Google made to hire people.

If you figure it out the address and entered there, there was a page requesting people to work with them.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]