BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Liability & Insurance question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Gordon
Liability & Insurance question
on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:59:31 pm

I have read a number of threads, but I haven't quite figured out the answer to a situation I have and I'm hoping for some insight.
The situation: I rent my camera to a A, A hires B (a freelancer) who breaks my camera during a shoot for one of A's clients... who pays (or whose insurance pays)? The renter, the freelancer, the client, or the owner?

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
Re: Liability & Insurance question
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:12:54 pm

The "renter" must provide a certificate of insurance naming you as the "Loss Payee" and or "Additionally Insured". The coverage must be "equal to" or "above" the replacement cost of all equipment rented by the production.

If the equipment is broken by the "renter", freelancer, by-stander...etc the "renter" is still liable.

You should also have your own insurance to cover your gear just incase but should resort to it if you cannot make a claim for any reason from the "renter".

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Jon Gordon
on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:36:16 pm

Thank you, very helpful. I guess it would follow that if I myself am renting gear and letting someone else use it I should get them to indemnify me through contract or require them to be insured, right? If I am renting I'd like to insulate my own insurance from their mishaps...

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:08:39 am

Obviously the easiest way is to get them to rent the gear through their insurance but its hard to say if you can give the gear to a third party and get them to insure it through their account. Its really up to your rental company to see if they would except that deal.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]