BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

How would you bill for cover up shot?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton HockmanHow would you bill for cover up shot?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:45:34 am

I have a client that has 3 previously created commercials on DVD. They need me to cover up a website address that is on the original DVD clips, and change it to a new one.

Its simple, capture the DVD clips, throw a text block and black box over the existing section, export for the web.

How would you bill for this? There are only 3 clips and not a considerable amount of work to do. My freelance rate is $50/hr - but as a business I charge $100/hr.

I was thinking of charging $200 - what do you think?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How would you bill for cover up shot?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:47:09 am

Even if this job only takes an hour, you will probably kill most of a second hour just organizing materials and/or handling the output for delivery. If you don't mind eating any shortfall from an unexpected surprise, like finding out the DVD's are copy-protected or something, then I'd say bill them 2 hours complete for $200. They are paying for your skills and time as well as for access to your gear. The danger you face is, the "simple" projects have a tendency to grow add-ons over time. This could be good, if you bill for each add-on. Bad, if they keep adding-on jobs for the fixed price they already paid.

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: How would you bill for cover up shot?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:17:10 am

Write them a "scope of work" of what you understand the job to be and what you will be providing-this is billable time too.

The understanding is what you you wrote above, then you will be providing:
Capture existing 3 commercials
create graphic overlay with new phone number
create and upload client preview version (watermarked of course)
create hi rez version and upload
cost as outlined $200.
$100 to secure services, balance at time of delivery; or full payment at completion of edit.

Will the client sit in on the edit? Are you comfortable with your tools?

I have another question, did you create the original ads or is the client bringing you a customer copy of someone else's work? I'd make sure client has the right to do the web versions - music rights, VO rights, etc. Why isn't he going back to the original company? You've heard the term grinder here, if he's just moving around be aware. Due some due diligence.

This could be an opportunity to gain a good client. Treat them well and be firm about what you you are offering and how you expect to get paid. Keep it simple. Business is business.

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Milton HockmanRe: How would you bill for cover up shot?
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:33:42 pm

I did not create the original ads. They were created by another company and/or by themselves on a Mac.

I figure they don't have the original projects or have time to fix them. I am currently creating a website for them with a News/Media section and that's why they asked me to fix the phone number.

Freelancer Designer Virginia -
Find out more about me, see my portfolio, and read my blog

Graphic Design Info, Web Page Tips, Video Production Guide BLOG
My blog updated weekly with industry tips, tricks, and news

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: How would you bill for cover up shot?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:51:38 am

just stick to your hourly rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved