BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

The ultimate product placement

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
The ultimate product placement
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:04:11 pm

Anyone who saw this week's "Modern Family" (ABC Network, US) witnessed what has to be one of the deepest product placements of all time. The episode revolved around the husband character wanting for his birthday -- more than anything in the world -- the new Apple iPad.

The iPad was in multiple scenes and multiple jokes starting with the line "It's like Steve Jobs and God got together to create exactly what I want for my birthday." (Or something along those lines.) Brilliant placement on one of the funniest sitcoms around.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: The ultimate product placement
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:30:22 pm

I LOVE Modern Family! One of the best new shows in years.

This was actually part of a roll-out of some juicy new ABC/Disney/Apple goodness. One of the laments of lack o' Flash on the iWhatever is that you can't take advantage of streaming video services like Hulu. ABC just rolled out an app that allows this very thing -- free streaming of 20 of their shows, supported by very light advertising.

I'm also a huge fan of Hulu, streaming from a channel's own website, etc. I never thought I'd enjoy TV on a computer, and in fact love it. Talk about unobtrusive, too - sometimes advertising takes up as little as a minute or two TOTAL in a streaming show, and several shows now offer an option of integrated, shorter ads, or watching, say, a movie trailer in exchange for commercial-free streaming.

And as you'd hope from a cleverly designed app, you can also go to iTunes to buy an episode or season pass in one click.

Check here for a great iPad clip from Modern Family.

Another great product placement from Comedy Central below, which includes a joke about product placements. "The big story tonight is...*I* have an iPad." My favorite quote: "Just like the iPhone, you can't make calls with it."

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Stephen Gets a Free iPad
http://www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorHealth Care Reform

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:37:30 pm

Stephen Colbert had one in his hands for the entire Colbert Report last night. According to UPS mine is still in China so I'm not sure how it's going to make it across the ocean and to my door tomorrow, but we'll see....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:45:31 pm

That's part of what makes it so magical and revolutionary. It can travel oceans in no time at all. :)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:57:32 pm

Interesting article on how "Apple's war on Flash" for the iPad might be over already. In addition to what this article mentions, Hulu.com has already announced a compatible player for the iPad.

Looks like folks are ready to do what it takes to have their content appear on this device. I'm looking forward to watching a movie on my way to Vegas in a week.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/techtonicshifts/archive/2010/04/02/the-ipad-...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: I'm WEAK!
on Apr 3, 2010 at 3:40:22 pm

Just bought one. Line at the Apple Store but Best Buy had 3 left. If Elon can forgive Tiger will my wife Deborah forgive me?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 3, 2010 at 3:50:43 pm

Still waiting to see if UPS is actually going to deliver it today. I ordered it the first hour they were available online, but it looks like the shipments got held up. Supposedly out for delivery right now, but we're not sure if it's actually out there or not.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 3, 2010 at 5:57:22 pm

Well, what do you know, it IS Christmas morning after all. iPad in hand and already have the mail accounts set up on it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]