BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Archival Footage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan AsselinArchival Footage
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:54:37 pm

Like many of us I do small projects that my customers wish to archive for long periods of time. With the reliability and longevity issues of standard hard drives and DVD's what do people think of the new Solid State Hard Drives as a possible alternative?

Thanks;

Dan

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Archival Footage
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:49:49 pm

I dont think solid state is there for cost effectiveness yet.

The best alternatives is digital tape based systems like VXA or LTO.

VXA is probably the most cost effective where LTO is more the industry standard. You can purchase a starter system for $500-$600 and bill the clients for the tapes (just google "VXA3").

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Archival Footage
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 9:56:57 pm

We never anything but grief from LTO. Your mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Archival Footage
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:00:49 pm

Hey Mark,

Can you tell us more about the problems you are having, we are moving from VXA to LTO so any insight you have would be helpful.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Archival Footage
by on Apr 2, 2010 at 1:22:55 am

Past tense, now. We had an LTO system that came with our Panasonic Postbox NLE system, was supposed to be an efficient and flexible archival system. The Postbox was really a wonderful little turn-key early NLE system and very intuitive to use. We still have it idled in a corner as a backup against, I don't know, when the Daleks come back maybe.... actually, it was banked as a possible :loaner" system for clients that wanted to work on their own long-term projects, but I think thats's fallen through now.

The LTO was a beast from hell that would pretend to work, but nothing you recorded to it was ever readable back out. We had such a miserable experience with it it permanently soured our entire shop on LTO.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]