BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Video production workshop - Is this course worth it do you think?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Williams
Video production workshop - Is this course worth it do you think?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:30:50 pm

Hello everybody,

Retirement is coming up soon and I'm new to video production but somebody suggested this course,

http://www.videoproductionlabworkshop.com/

Do you think it looks like a good course for someone to begin learning video production?

I'm not sure about the modern day style that people expect and wonder if this video is really a good example of modern video production.

Please let me know what you think.

Charles Williams

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Video production workshop - Is this course worth it do you think?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:32:22 pm

doood, I'd run far and fast from that.
Grab a camera and an inexpensive NLE and start creating. If you like, take a few classes at your local jr college. None of this has to break the bank. I leared a long time ago that any promotion that starts with "make money" just wants your money.

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:52:06 pm

I agree with grinner...the first clue...why is he not looking at the camera...is he looking at the car's??....dicey...If there is a local indy group or like grinner says a night class at your local college, it will be way more for your moneys worth..walk before you run on your learning path...but RUN from this offer....

pearl

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:38:52 pm

Well, his own intro video itself is nothing short of terrible. What does that tell you?

Hopefully they are not teaching web design, either.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:58:42 pm

Charles, your best value in training would be to sign up for your local cable access channel and work on team productions there. And once you take the training they offer, you can produce actual programming that goes on air.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:45:23 pm

Is this a joke??

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:38:54 pm

No, people have been trying to make money off of other people by teaching them the secrets of video for some time now, Mick.

You can even get a diploma for it, I'm told:-)

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:04:29 pm

I agree with Mick. This is sooo bad it has to be a joke.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Mar 22, 2010 at 10:07:29 pm

Charles,
This reeks of "color-by-number" self help that will sell you pre-packaged emails for $35. My opinion? I don't think they really want the $35 so much, it's getting your contact information as a potential lead to sell more gimmicks they really want.

The quality of the video on his page is abysmal. No lighting, horrible audio, a composite that my 8-year old could do. All these promises to point you to "free software".

Remember the line in the movie "Good Will Hunting"? “You blew $150k on an education you could have gotten for a buck fifty in late fees from the library.” Well, $35 isn't quite $150k, but I get the impression that $35 would be the first drip as they try to get you to turn on the money faucet to keep "learning" more.

Seriously, a DV cam, iMovie and a library subscription will take you farther and faster than anything this guy offers. Add in the internet and you are already way ahead of the game.

A quick sidebar, but on a related topic... one of the things I really liked about creative cow from the very start was that there wasn't a single "video expert" leading any of the forums - especially a "self-proclaimed" one. You may get different opinions on some subjects here, but that's because all the forum leaders and the forum visitors keep each other honest... and we are all continually learning. Kudos to you for continuing to grow and learn new things throughout your career!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:07:42 am

I'm thinking this was a bad commercial for a bad product by the original poster. One post and it's a link to a scam site.
Me thinks Charlie is self-pluggin' badness.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:37:31 am

That intro video is really a "great" example of how to capitalize the benefits of using video on a web site. The guy looks as he just drop down from bed, then he talks and talks for minutes looking at... err, my left hand? Oh, I got it, the audience in the picture. That's creative!

If they are really trying to start a viral campaign, then they may be successful, but in a negative way.

And if they are just trying to get a higher page rank by placing links to their site, well, good luck with the black hat SEO. They may be banned soon.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Charles Williams
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:23:39 pm

Hello,

I appreciate your concern grinner and assure you this product has nothing to do with me!

On another forum I visit (which _is_ actually about marketing things on the internet) there is a thread where people seem to think it's great. Like you suggest though, things are not always as they seem on the internet.

Please forgive me posting another link, here is the forum thread where most people seem very enthusiastic about this course.

Video Production Lab Workshop Q&A - All questions here please

Thanks everyone for confirming what I suspected - that this is more about the marketing angle than producing quality videos.

Charles

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:38:38 pm

Charles, thanks for solve the mystery of your identity. I will say no more about the links you posted.

There are so many aspects around video production that it will be hard to recommend a single course that covers them all. Here's a link to one that I considered can worth the investment, if you are interested in the subjects they teach. Look for the samples page to see how they explain the concepts of film language and visual effects.

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us

Of course, this may not be what you are looking for, and maybe others have different recommendations, but this is a good example of what for me is a good way to sell a course on the web.

I have to mention I found this site posted in one of the COW forums (free stuff), as they offer green-screen plates, free to download, to experiment with visual effects.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:17:44 am

Charles, if the people on that forum think your work is worth signing up for,they are so easily pleased that their work would place them in utter amateur status. It is clearly junk.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:59:20 pm

I followed the link to the thread that featured the glowing reviews and saw where the teacher of the course recommends that the students get a Flip camera to use during the course. Um...I'm still searching for the right emoticon to use in response to that...

Meanwhile, I think Charles W. was just asking about the course and what we thought about it - and expressed that he (Charles) doesn't have anything to do with it. Is that right, Charles?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:23:44 am

I have doubts. First post, leads us to a scam site, and says he has a friend that recomended it.
Any of you have friends that would do that to ya?

Return to posts index

Charles Williams
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:12:53 pm

Grinner,

Once again I appreciate your concern, however I never said this was recommended to me by a friend - it was merely a suggestion from an online acquaintance.

As the consensus is now clear I would be perfectly happy for a moderator to remove the links or even the entire thread. I was just looking for professional opinions.

What I have learned here is that it seems like product quality is just a part - perhaps even a minor part - of an overall marketing campaign.

With the low barrier to entry and huge popularity of the medium perhaps it's not surprising that some self-proclaimed experts are apparently preying on newcomers to the field.

Thank you all for your input.

Charles

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:03:17 pm

It's not that hard to see that site as a scam at a glance. They pretend to teach video/marketing but obviously need to take some video and some marketing classes. I'm sure you can understand why it looks like you are promoting this scam as it was your first post here at the cow.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:25:26 pm

[grinner hester] "I'm sure you can understand why it looks like you are promoting this scam as it was your first post here at the cow."

That, and the fact that when people responded, he (Charles Williams) also defended the site and program by trying to point to another site where users gushed effusively about what a great program it is.

These two things combined, to quote the Bard in Hamlet, make me think that there is indeed "something rotten in the state of Denmark."

Ron Lindeboom

P.S. -- I forgot to mention: "Welcome to the COW."

Return to posts index

Randy Wheeler
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:36:24 am

Plus, he wanted the entire thread deleted after all the negative responses.

Just Google searched the phrase "Video production workshop Kevin Riley" and this thread was 3rd in the results right below his blog.

Bet Kev ain't too happy about that.

Randy

Return to posts index

Simon Stutts
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:19:05 am

[Charles Williams] "Please let me know what you think."

I think that there are high school students producing higher quality work than this.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:25:08 pm

I feel a bit sick to my stomach. There are so many things wrong with what happens after the jump. The website follows the format of your typical MLM scheme or conspiracy nutjob - lots of text on a very long page, glowing testimonials from people who don't know any better, promises and talk about reselling some product.

That being said, there is a subset of consumers who are wowed by 10 minutes of the same composite and likely buyers of his system.

A sucker is born every minute. Some suckers figure out how to make money from other suckers.

Don't be a sucker.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Randy Wheeler
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:13:07 am

The owner of the domain name VideoProductionLabWorkshop.com is Kevin Riley who is based in Japan.

http://whois.domaintools.com/videoproductionlabworkshop.com

Here is his website:

http://www.kevinrileyinc.com/

Randy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]