BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Excited about the NEW COW!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton HockmanExcited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:33:27 pm

Just read most recent Cow magazine and just wanted to say that I'm excited about what I read on the Cow redoing its website.

Can't wait to see all the cool new features they're adding.

Freelancer Designer Virginia
Find out more about me, see my portfolio, and read my blog

Web, Video, Graphic Design Info Blog
My blog updated weekly with industry tips, tricks, and news

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ron LindeboomRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:18:18 pm

Yes, the new COW is in development and should be quite a vast improvement when it is fully implemented by Q3-2010.

During much of 2009, we began working on the "mental process" of completely redefining not only the interface but the very concept of what it means to be a community site in the days ahead. We threw out all of the past dogmas of what it means to be a forums community, and we focused instead on identifying and redefining the very way that people work and interact within online communities. We defined and refined the interface based on what you do and how you work.

What has come out of all of it, is a master plan for a restructuring of the COW that will move you from question to answer in the shortest number of steps and with a great reduction in the numbers of page hops it takes to find the answer. But that is just one item in the whole thing. There is much much more.

We are looking at Q3-2010 as the time when it will all likely be live. Bits and pieces are being added to the existing interface, little niceties that were born out of the work we are doing on the new interface. (One LITTLE item is the new search item that offers the most common searches when you begin to use the search. For an example of this, go to the search function and begin to type in the word ''Panasonic'', for example -- see what happens. It is just a small item but there are many of these things we are adding.)

I suspect that I will be growing increasingly quiet in the days ahead -- [insert foley sounds of audience roaring its approval] -- as I focus more and more on working with our team on these new additions. It is a lot of work, because as I said in the COW Magazine Back 40 column, this overhaul requires major changes in every part of the Creative COW system.

We are testing many ideas, and many have already been approved, but many others are in the development stages. This is no small undertaking but when the year closes on 2010, we will have built a COW that is udderly (sorry, I couldn't help it) unlike any community interface we have seen anywhere on the net.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom and the COW Team
Workaholics Allâ„¢

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mike CohenRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:29:14 pm

The new search can be entertaining, kind of like google autocomplete.

So if you type "Premiere is" one assumes that the first suggestion, "premiere is running very low on system memory" is the most common phrase involving premiere.

Likewise, "hdv is" results in "hdv is dead"

Most exciting is if you type "mike" you get "mike cohen" - how could that not be a cool new feature?

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:56:44 pm

There are entire websites devoted to bizarre Google autocomplete results (look up "autocomplete fails" - and note that many of these are truly, truly NSFW.

I showed this to a couple of minister friends, as well as to my father the missionary, and they all laughed, so take it in the spirit that it's given - but this is a real live Google autocomplete result that you can test for yourself:

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:02:52 pm

One must assume that George Carlin gets more hits than...hmm, better not.

Google auto completes are amusing - try just about any person's name, followed by "is" and you get some surprises.

But we are getting away from talking about the COW.

More COW please.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:21:39 pm

It is certainly worth noting that not every Google autocomplete is bizarre or apparently arbitrary:

Not to give away more than we're ready to, but one of the several impetuses (it turns out that "impeti" is NOT the proper plural in English) that led us to reorient our thinking is in fact our very high rank at Google for virtually any search related to our industry. We have also very often seen high-ranking Google results pointing directly to specific posts, as well as threads where somebody posting actually says, "I found this thread on Google."

So, since people are often looking for specific things, what can do to provide additional results that are also helpful? We've already started by including the "Related Threads" on post pages, tag clouds on the news pages, etc. But as Ron notes, we're going much further than individual search results, to using this information to completely reconfigure the site for each visitor, as needed, on the fly.

Purty slick.

Return to posts index

Milton HockmanRe: Excited about the NEW COW!
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:51:18 pm

thanks for sharing the tool. that's a great feature! will reduce the question that arises when searching for an answer "how should i phrase this" when you see others have had same problem and will generate more results if using the word!

bravo.

Freelancer Designer Virginia
Find out more about me, see my portfolio, and read my blog

Web, Video, Graphic Design Info Blog
My blog updated weekly with industry tips, tricks, and news

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]