BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

The End of the World

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
The End of the World
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:48:02 pm

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/steven-spielberg-and-tom-h...

Spielberg at the White House using what loops like a Flip cam.

Granted, he is not a technician so he can't be expected to use a camcorder with multiple buttons, and he is a dad, so he can be expected to have a point and shoot camcorder. Although in a later shot it looks like he is shooting with his iPhone, so maybe the Flip shot was staged.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: The End of the World
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:32:19 pm

And this from a guy who used to shoot home movies on Super 8 and take them to get professionally telecined at Super8 Sound. And who can AFFORD TO with home movies. I guess he wants the quick turn around, and can't be bothered with nicer cameras? Or did the Secret Service nix the HPX-3700 for the meet and greet?

I won't fault him for the choice here...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:46:45 pm

Well, in the very first fraction of a second it can be seen the cameraman with a Canon SLR doing the actual video. I assume that's Spielberg shoot of the crew.

Also, there are just a couple of shots that are hand held and probably soothed with a point and shoot camera or Spielberg's phone.

Just guessing, but I think Spielberg is using an every day look by putting the "Youtube style" shoots there to add some credibility.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:00:53 pm

The White House has actually done a good job using video to propagate their, er, propaganda. They also have a nice visual style, uniform fonts etc. I noticed that during the health care summit a few weeks ago the name cards on the tables even followed the same design guidelines as the website.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:21:06 pm

Relax, the little cam was just a gag.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:32:22 pm

There have been Cows in the White House for a couple of administrations now. No kidding. The first time we saw whitehouse.gov domains sign up, with addresses in the West Wing, we thought it was awesome. Still do.

Bessie herself is in the GREENS Party (All You Can Eat). Bessie, she all about the All You Can Eat, and puts her vote where her mouth is.

When I was a producer doing video for gubmint clients, I had my work publicly, and loudly, attacked as "slick propaganda." I'm sorry I didn't save the clippings, and I'm still not sure which adjective I was prouder of.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:44:39 pm

If the critique came from FOX, relax, Tim; you're normal and a good guy.:-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2010 at 12:37:55 am

Perception rules.

I won't risk the sources, but I trust them like they were family. Big Name tech company. Big Event. A few years ago, back when money was loose, they bought a HUGE fancy tent - like think Cique du Solie - in order to hold a big annual outdoor event in a big west coast city. Cost Mega-bux. Was approved and costed out to be used for the next 3 to 5 years for said event.

The following year, the economy took the dive. - so they mothballed the BIG tent they already owned and went out and purchased YET ANOTHER much smaller tent in which to hold that years shindig.

The point is that they couldn't risk the PERCEPTION that they were over-spending in tough times - even when the reality was that they spent MORE to achieve that perception than just using what they had already paid for.

Thus often operates the world.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:34:27 pm

I think it was to be YouTube cool. I've had at least two clients tell me that their flip camera is just as good as the professional stuff we use. I joked and asked them when the flip camera with interchangeable lens was coming out.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:19:09 pm

There are some interesting web videos showing how to add a cheap aftermarket wide angle adaptor to a flip cam. These are for specialized uses such as a "crash cam" for mounting on a bike or car for driving shots at funny angles where a larger and more expensive camera would be inadvisable or at least risky. I look for Zacuto or Bandpro to sell a clip-on flip pro optics lens holder any day now. Maybe with a depth of field attachment using pager motors to wiggle a ground glass screen, It will come with a matte box and French Flag:-)

I am only HALF-joking.

Where the flips fall down most is in their audio; when a flip with a mic-input jack comes out is the time to worry more. ( Yes I know some non-flip cams have one now) The casual frat-cam users are unlikely to bother recording double-system sound with quality mics and a suitable recorder, and bothering about synching it up with the flip footage before posting it. The flip represents in this respect the laziness of users that just don't want to do the extra work of post.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:27:42 pm

See, I think it, they do it: this is being released for the "serious" youtubers first of next month; the model 4110:

I can be the mod for the new COW forum for this!
;-)

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:41:13 pm

Think the Flip is a joke? It almost saved my career yesterday...

HERE'S MY UPDATE: Today is late Wednesday afternoon and I just completed (barely) shooting 3 days for a giant international IT consulting firm that had simultaneous large conferences in Chicago/Paris/India. Each site had a pro crew and by early afternoon we had to select best takes and upload at the Westin to Paris so the footage would be edited overnight and shown the following morning at each of the 3 sites. Chicago is 5 hours behind Paris and they edit through the night because India is way ahead of Paris, so you can imagine the pressure.

Well, mid Tuesday AT&T shut down (or perhaps we crashed it?) the Westin's internet capability because we exceeded their capacity and the place went bonkers! Imagine an IT symposium with no internet!!!! We had been provided a dedicated ethernet vlan line of 4MB but still choked it. Solution: I had my media wrangler/editor rush to his alma mater and upload on their T1 line.

The point of the story is: I came within a hair's breath of using the client's Flip camera (although I have never touched one!), double recording the audio on my Panasonic HPX300 P2 camera, and sending the audio separately as a wav or MP3, which probably could have been emailed or taken to Starbucks or Kinkos for an upload, and then synced at the French editors. We were extremely close to doing that! And although I have been a DP for 33 years I am not sure my footage would look any better than a Flip because I had to shoot in the DV codec to keep the file size small, then in FCP export convert into PAL (ugh), upload to Paris, they edited and converted BACK to NTSC (another ugh), and show on hallway plasmas at the hotels and convention centers.

So...It may be useful to have a Flip in one's toolkit? I suppose soon they will have an audio mini jack input? Or record audio separately like the old film days.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
http://www.bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:11:45 pm

Ned, love the dramatic story, and it was well told, but what I take from it is that the flip was not the potential answer, rather, a better and slimmer codec and way to transmit it was. Because it was your transmission/distribution *pipeline* that failed; not the shooting or edit gear. I have long said that the next codec breakthru that enables smooth sharp quality realtime full screen AV over POTS lines is going to revolutionize our business models. That's not physically, visually sexy, like a camera is; you can't hold up a codec and look cool using it. But what it DOES is what's sexy; enabling you to make these kinds of feeds live from the field without an uplink dish or microwave hop, just a phone line.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Mar 19, 2010 at 12:07:14 pm

[Mark Suszko] " I have long said that the next codec breakthru that enables smooth sharp quality realtime full screen AV over POTS lines is going to revolutionize our business models."

Amen Mark. Once this happens, it will change the distribution pipeline forever and open up incredible opportunity for the savvy business owner.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]