BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Filming Public Events (Farmer's Market)

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Crow
Filming Public Events (Farmer's Market)
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:16:16 pm

Hi,

I wanted to test out some functions on my videocamera (AG-HVX200) to try out some new modes. So I decided our local Farmers Market would be a colorful, fun place to do some handheld filming.

Let me point out that the event is held on a closed off public street every Sunday.

I wasn't there 5 minutes before the "marketing director" of the event asked me to stop filming unless I had gotten specific permission from individuals. I didn't feel like making a big deal of it but I did ask him if I had a still camera instead of a videocamera would his request be the same.

I did leave without causing a scene however I always thought that a public event where individuals have no expectations of privacy was ok to film at without model or location releases.

Am I right, wrong? I have no doubt that the event organizers have secured permission from the city to hold the event but that doesn't make the event "private" does it?

Please educate me!

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: Filming Public Events (Farmer's Market)
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:55:18 pm

Hey Steve,

You didn't tell us the location of this farmers market?

In any case; a public street, is just that, a public street. So if people didn't want you to film them, then they are free to go elsewhere. However, your local council might have certain "rules" for filming on a public street all depending on how you intend to use the footage. But it is not down to the "marketing director" to enforce those, unless he/she is the local mayor :-)

Today I've had two film shoots going on within a short walking distance of our firm, one was a 15 person shoot with a light travel kit (read short film etc) the other was the full line-up of production trucks at the local market street (no market on Sundays). The latter had 4 uniformed police officers looking after them, so not a cheap gig.

A good approach is always to ask the person you are filming if they are ok with you doing so. Give them your business card to contact you with any concerns or follow up (you never know, they might become a client) and bring a release form in case you get a really good shot - make sure it also cater for parents of kids with ice-cream all over their face + bring I.D. in case you do get stopped and searched by the Police.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Latest video to watch here:

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38:24 pm

The location is a mid-sized town in California and the marketing director was not a government official.

It occurs to me that maybe the Farmer's Market was, in essence, arguing that the event was "private" since they had a city permit to hold it but I don't really buy it.

A city can't issue any kind of permit that would say "within the market the first amendment doesn't apply" - my filming is protected as free speech and free expression isn't it?

My viewpoint had been that anyone at the market could not have a reasonable expectation of privacy and so, technically, I didn't need anyone's permission even if I stuck my camera right in their face.

I know news organizations are given wide latitude but I am not affiliated with a news organization.

Like I said I wasn't going to sell any of this footage or even broadcast it - but for arguments sake, had I wanted to sell the footage then maybe I could see an individual person who is recognizable in the video might have a fair claim to make that they should be compensated or at least give their permission.

I think even in those circumstances there is an exception made if the person's appearance on the video is incidental as in they were just walking past my camera.

Return to posts index

Rob Jackson
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:29:01 pm

Here in Charleston, SC, you need a permit to film downtown in any public area, only if equipment is going to touch the ground. Handheld or shoulder mounted cameras don't require a permit, but the second a tripod leg hits the ground, you need one. The permits are free, and can be received same day if needed, but they do require proof of insurance. However, I have filmed plenty of times downtown and never been asked to show it. I am also friends with a few police officers and they have all said they only care if someone files a complaint, for instance if you were to chase an unwilling participant down the street with a SteadiCam.

Events are a different story. From what I've gathered, if the event is in a closed off area then you need permission from the organizers to film the event. Insert appropriate disclaimer here, but my understanding is that if someone rents the public space, that space isn't considered public anymore for the duration of the event. Again, just what I've gathered from local event organizers.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:24:08 pm

"Insert appropriate disclaimer here, but my understanding is that if someone rents the public space, that space isn't considered public anymore for the duration of the event. Again, just what I've gathered from local event organizers. "

Yeah, I think that's the premise this marketing director was working on as well but I am not sure I buy it from a legal/constitutional perspective. I do hear all you people saying "phone first or ask first" and that's all good and can't really be argued against but my question really had to do with what the law says on the issues regardless of permissions.

I would be surprised to learn a public space can be converted to private in the sense of "new/different laws apply once you step across this imaginary line and enter our event space."

Good discussion, what we really need is an attorney to chime in and set us straight.

(BTW, I did read the PDF linked to in the earlier post on photographers rights but it's quite dated now and the author/attorney gave himself so much wiggle room on the topic that I wasn't sure what info we can actually rely on and where the bottom line was. Oh and by dated I mean "post Patriot Act" - I would totally buy it if someone said that my rights to video had indeed changed after this particular act passed Congress.)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 7, 2010 at 6:59:25 pm

You can consult your local government to find out what regulations apply to shooting in public, and what authority the "marketing director" has to regulate the public at the farmer's market (I suspect none).

What you do after that is up to you. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything now.

If I had been harassed by this person, I'd not have made a big scene, but I might have asked the "marketing director" for official identification, and ask what authority that gave him to regulate a private citizen at a public event. Or more likely I'd just have politely told him to buzz off before I called a cop.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 7, 2010 at 7:36:30 pm

In mayor cities in Mexico you MUST have government permission to shoot in public places. Of course, if you look like a tourist the police probably will not bother you, but if you look anything as a pro (like shooting with a tripod) you can end in jail.

Permissions, however, are given free. But you need at least two weeks in advance to go with all the paperwork. It can really be a pain.

Many producers here just shoot without saying anything. Some friends even have Hi-Def handy cams to do public shots of buildings without being bothered by the police.

All this permission controls are, I think, for security reasons. Local TV News staff, that's identified with uniforms, is never bothered.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:09:26 am

"The Photographers Rights" Carry a copy with you.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

KB

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:17:18 am

The rule is get permission or ask forgiveness.
... or pretend you beling there to a point you require neither permission or forgiveness.
Y oudid the right thing by saying okey dokey. Never hesitate to offer free promotion in cases like these but really, making a phone call before hand is no big deal.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:42:56 am

What I want to know is what kind of marketing director chases off ANY chance at video publicity for their event? Sounds like the Director may not have any such authority, but it is best to call the city that issued the permit and ask them, and to avoid making a scene over this.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:46:23 pm

That's why a phone call paves a lot of freedom. Seeing a camera that was not planned puts many, perhaps most in defensive mode.

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:55:25 pm

as a government video hack... i can tell you the line for us is drawn between public right of way and private property... and kids... always ask permission for kids... always. if i go to our local library i can shoot whom ever i want legally... your expectation of privacy is not with you when you enter a public facility or at least not at the same level as at home or on private property... but i always ask permission just as a courtesy and a way to hand out the freelance business card... always the dollars

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:01:35 pm

Here's a link that has some good information and a PDF for download. Although it's aimed at photographers, the same laws apply to videographers.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

If we as a group start giving in to these unlawful demands to not photograph or video. The we are giving up our rights as American citizens.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:18:31 pm

Ready for some irony?

Guess whom I've now volunteering to work with on a high visibility project???

The City government! :-)

I will share details as I can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]