BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Professional video associations?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MalerProfessional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:25:50 pm

Hi everyone - Do you have any suggestions on professional video associations worth joining for networking and talking business?

I found the DVPA (digital video professionals assn) and the AVP (assn of video professionals). DVPA is $200 a year, but AVP is a lot more expensive - $1200 a year.

Any experience or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks for your insights.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:53:43 pm

I'd say ask yourself what is the return on your money? What the heck can AVP give you back that is worth $1200 a year? I can't even begin to imagine.

I personally belong to no groups or trade associations except those that are very focused, specific, and geared to an exact discipline or specialty. I.e., the American Advertising Federation, the Steadicam Operators Association, AFTRA/SAG from my pre-directing days as an actor, etc.

Just evaluate what you are getting back (or are legitimately likely to get back) from forking over such a boatload of cash. It'd have to be a pretty darn good payoff, for me.

Now... if the governing board wanted to offer me an ASC membership, sign me up.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

John MalerRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:09:10 pm

Hi Todd - thanks for the post. I was wondering how AVP can charge so much for membership - and how others may have justified the expense.

I'm a member of our local Final Cut Pro users group (here in Indianapolis) which is free and has been good for networking.

Would love to connect with other locals in the video biz, but haven't found too many places to do so.

I also am on a very active message board from the professional photographers assn which is a constant source of great business info. Anyone know of a good message board for professional video folks?

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:27:36 pm

[John Maler] "Anyone know of a good message board for professional video folks?"

I believe that you have found it but are apparently not cognizant of the fact.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

John MalerRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:45:39 pm

Ron, you're right. These boards are great, and I'll keep trolling to learn more.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:22:07 am

Hey John,

I would say too, like everybody else in here, that the COW totally out-performs any association that you can find out there. Not only in a professional network, getting quick answers and find new friends. But also that you'll find that your posts will figure quite high on the search engines, should a client decide to see whether exists - which in it self is good for business.

Having said that, I've in the last 7 months been totally converted to Network Marketing and have as a result joined several organisations locally including BNI (If you hadn't noticed already ;-)), DUCC - Danish/UK Chamber of Commerce and various one off groups. The initial cost was expensive, but I've already made that back by a factor of 5 times investment. So rather than spending money on meeting your competitors, try instead and aim at places where you can find some new clients.

All the Best
London, UK

Latest video to watch here:

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:00:01 pm

Umm... at the risk of being sarcastic, ever heard about I've never found an organization/association/web site/magazine/whatever with a fraction of a percent of the depth and community offered right here. But perhaps that's just me. I'm biased.

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:45:54 pm

It ain't just you Nick. COW ROCKS!! Plain and simple.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 11:21:59 pm

I've been a member of several organizations, including some you mentioned, but it seemed most of what I got in return was junk email.

They may have helped when I put them on my resume for corporate video jobs, but I like to think that my reel matter much more.

If you are going to join an org, make sure it has goals that are in-line with yours. NAB, NATPE and DVPA all have benefits, but like most relationships and I'm guessing just like your local user groups, you get out of it what you put in to it.

To get the most out of, try some searches, check out the podcasts and videos, ask more questions, offer some advice... and above all have fun exploring, learning and cultivating relationships. We really look forward to seeing you more, John.

Return to posts index

Karl SoehnleinRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:09:01 am

Consider joining MCA-I (Media Communications Association International), especially if you have a local chapter in your area. MCA-I is an organization that offers a variety of benefits to its members (programs, competitions, discounts, etc) and will allow you to meet professionals face-to-face. I joined in 2007 and have met dozens of business contacts and clients through it. The annual fee for individual membership is $160/year. It's worth every penny.

Karl Soehnlein
Reel Wave Media, LLC

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:38:18 pm

I was quite active for several years back when it was ITVA. A board member of our local chapter, even, for two years - co-chair of programming.

MCAI (at least here in MN) is far less active than ITVA was.

We used to be a jumbo chapter. Now, I don't even hear about it any longer. The chapter web page is highlighting a December 2007 event. Other pages are similarly "fresh".

YMMV, but I'd save my bucks for some other purpose.

Nothing personal...

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:03:23 pm

Only recently joined the MCA-I CT chapter. The main reason I joined was that there is this producer in my state who seems to know everyone and has his hands in lots of interesting projects. Through him I have met a few interesting members of the film and TV community in my state. They have these film industry parties a few times a year featuring short film screenings, lectures, project pitches, booze and food - fun for networking and socializing.

So in Dec MCA-I were having their holiday party in the next town over, so I decided to join and go check it out. I met about 20 interesting people including narrators, animators, shooters, actors, one wingnut who was there for the booze, and about a half dozen people who I had either known in college, worked with previously or knew of. One person had even read an article I wrote in the COW magazine. Perhaps it would be of interest to other readers:

In fact, the current president of the chapter was a professor of mine from college. Freshman year I took an intro to theater class with him. Then Senior year we had a single camera production class, in which we shot a 40 minute MOW style show. There are numerous amusing and educational anecdotes from that experience. Here is the first part of the edited show.

So overall the MCA-I membership has proven interesting. They have monthly events around the state, including one this month about using online video to promote your business.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Professional video associations?
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:46:47 pm

Karl is right. Our chapter here in Madison, WI is the largest in the organization....we currently have over 120 student members alone, and our web site for our local chapter rocks.

See it at

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved