BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

teaming up/cutting costs

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hesterteaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 8:17:19 pm

More and more, we are seeing alliances that prove to be successful for all involved. I was recently asked to move in with an up and coming production company downtown. The overhead is so low, man, I just can't pass it up. I'm stoked for the move!

Return to posts index

Ed CilleyRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:00:18 pm

Congratulations Grinner!

I'm sure the exposure you'll get being allied with the production company can only lead to more work.

Best of luck.

Avid and FCP Preditor
Anything worth doing at all, is worth doing well.
- Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:22:10 pm

Hey grin,

Good idea, just be careful that your post-card doesn't alienate all the other producer/director clients that you work with.

I switched my company's direction a few years back to go down the route of offering full production services, which was mainly in response to my client base buying their own editing equipment.

Just a few penny thoughts :-)

All the Best
London, UK

Latest video to watch here:

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 11:11:07 pm

I've seen this scenario work and also blow up. It works so long as everyone respects client boundaries. It doesn't work when clients start bypassing the original production contact for someone else in the building. "Why should I pay you a markup for a service you don't provide when I can just go directly to so and so across the hall?"

Also, be sure you have EVERYTHING in writing about what is yours, what access you and your clients have, etc.... I had a situation where an ex-partner decided to change the locks on the building and remove all the equipment "for the protection of the company" when we had a dispute.

It sounds like a very exciting opportunity and I wish you the best of luck, just be careful.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 11:28:05 pm

I will, man. I know these guys well and we all get along great. We don't compete for the same clients in any way. It'll be all good for everyone. Almost makes me wish we'd have done this years ago.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 12:31:57 am

I think the client boundaries can be relatively's a top-of-mind thing.

My business move of the same type just ended without much warning as the production studio I sublet the edit suite space from decided to go live with a production company in a bigger facility.

So...these things ebb and flow. Try not to become too inter-dependent on each other for work as that can be a problem when the ways part due to one of you outgrowing the space available, or maybe the larger of the entities needs to can all happen and happen fast with no malice or ill intent. It's all business...

It's a good overhead move to be sure, but keep your head up and your eyes open. I just signed a lease and need to execute a buildout in about two weeks in the "dry" season. It's a little hectic.

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:44:16 am

Ummmm... Grin.....

Are your new partners aware of your boxer-shorts-and-bathrobe situation? Isn't that your usual M.O.?

Kidding... I will say I'm surprised, though. You always sounded like it would take a stick of dynamite to get you back out of the house again.

Hope it works out great for ya!

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:12:55 pm

thanks, brudda.
Yeah they do know I'll be comfy in there. I met this dude 8 years ago when he moved my family here from Indianapolis for a staff position. I showed up the interview in a tie-dyed shirt and sandles. lol
It's why he wants me in his building. Sometimes people forget we are in a creative industry. Hence the dockers you see that can easily scare away clientele.
Put yourself in an ad agency's shoes. You have a spot that needs wit and creativity done by next Monday. You talk to one production company that has preppy clean cut accounting lookin' dudes walkin' around. You then visit a place with a barefoot guy burning insense who calls ya dude. I know which place I'd go to to get my taxes done but I surely know who I'd put in charge of my creative.
It's a ying and yang thang. He already has the ying. I'm bringin' the yang. I'm a bit yangy and could use some ying. It'll be all good for both of us. PLus, it really will be good for me to get out of the house. To be able to edit without a dog that barks at every motion outside will be a treat.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:42:09 pm

Best of luck, Grin. Sounds like you may have a good match. For a little over a year I've looked for a good path for my business to grow to the next level and have yet to find that logical combination. Then again I'm tough to "live with." Just ask my wife.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2010 at 5:07:00 pm

I hear ya.
I've been window shoppin' locations for a little more than a year. Anything that I like or would be ideal has been out of my budget's comfort zone. I even enetertained moving into a neaby use to be mall, now state-funded art center. I could afford it but it in no way would have been a step up. This opportunity came to me.
I reckin' John Lennon knew what he was talkin' about when he spoke of life happening as we make plans.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: teaming up/cutting costs
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:37:30 pm

Congrats, does this still mean you're staying near STL? or did you move already, you were thinking about that a while ago, I know.

One worry: Get it on paper that everybody shares not just the profits but the expenses. If you ever shared an apartment with a deadbeat room mate, you'll understand.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:21:41 pm

Shoot, aint nobody splitting profits. This is not a partnership. I'm simply a squatter. Math will only come into play at lunch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved