BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Best Superbowl spot this year

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Best Superbowl spot this year
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:38:57 am

I liked the Snickers Betty White, the VW slug bug game, Favre 2020 Hyundai made me smile, but I thought the best spot overall during the game was by Google: the entire Campbellian "Hero's Journey" in 30 seconds (or was it 60?) of just text from a search history, no fancy effects, just a narrative. KGB gets an honorable mention for "Sumo" spot because it amusingly demonstrates the advantage/benefit of faster search.

Surprisingly poor spots IMO: Doritos, Bud, Coke/Simpsons,Boost Mobile Shuffle,E-trade, Monster and Career Builder.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best Superbowl spot this year
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:12:02 am

Forget about all those disappointing 2010 recession ads. They were nothing like the ads of past years.

But how bout dem Nawlins Saints??? My home team beat the Colts big time and won the game doing it exactly the way they won all year.

Geaux Saints Geaux!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:36:04 am

Agreed... the commercial field was a bit weak.

The Google "Parisian Love" spot, however, was nothing short of brilliant.

I also liked the Dodge Charger "Man's Last Stand" spot quite a lot. I believe that was Michael C. Hall doing the voiceover, though not 100% sure. The writing and narration sold it.

Bud, disappointingly, was weak weak weak.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Bierzonski
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:25:57 pm

I agree. The Google "Parisian Love" spot, was the only spot that stood out in my mind.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:35:14 pm

I like the Bud Light spot with all the guys talking on the phone in the "autotone" voice. For us tech guys, it was the only one that made me physically laugh out loud because of all the "hype" around using the digital effect in just about every music video.

Return to posts index

Matt Sepeta
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:17:13 pm

Best:

-Google. Simply brilliant. I watched the game with my girlfriend and her room-mates, and it made a few of them actually cry! It must have been pretty cheap to produce, too.

-Dodge Charger. It made me want to man-up and buy a Charger and go drive illegally fast.

-The Bud Light Auto-tune. Pretty funny. Would not be caught dead buying bud light, but it was clever.

-Brett Favre Hundai spot. I love the guy, and being a Vikings fan, I appreciate the fact that he can constantly poke fun at himself, with the Sears ads, now this one.

-Kia commercial with the toys in Vegas. Sock monkeys gets me every time.

-Audi Green police. -HILARIOUS, yet terrifying. I am not sure I understand their angle with it. Mocking the "green movement", then trying to sell a "green" car... Regardless, its funny.

The worst:

-All of the Doritos commercials.

-Godaddy commercials.

-All of the spots with guys in underwear.

-The E-trade commercials. Was funny. Not anymore.

Good Day

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:12:39 pm

Yes. Google...brilliant!

Wait...somehow, I want a Guinness about now...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:49:24 pm

Interestingly enough, as it turns out the fantastic Google spot wasn't even intended to be a Superbowl commercial... or even a television commercial at all.

It was one of the spots that Google previously created just for an online campaign. It went over so well on YouTube that they decided to air it as a TV spot in the game.

I'm guessing by far it was the cheapest of the SB commercial spots... and my opinion by far the best.

Tight writing, perfect storyline, right-on-the-money music.

Incidentially, since the original version wasn't created to fill any exact TV commercial avails, it was of an oddball length... about :52. For the Superbowl version, it was padded out here and there to turn it into a full :60.

There were some other subtle differences as well... for example in the original version, there is a search for a flight to Paris on Amercian Airlines. In the broadcast version, it is a search for a Delta flight.

Darn darn good stuff.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Sepeta
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:57:46 pm

Re: the google ad: I was discussing it with friends, and we cannot decide if it was CG or if it was screen captured. What is your take?

I feel it was all (or mostly) generated, because some of the "close-ups" looked pretttty crisp.

Good Day

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:10:43 pm

[Matt Sepeta] "we cannot decide if it was CG or if it was screen captured."

I imagine it was a combination of both. The closeups were definitely not screen caps.

Interestingly enough, they are real Google searches. I was so enamored with the spot that I replayed it (a number of times) and stopped to do all the same exact searches on Google. Pretty much the exact same pages popped up (with minor variations here and there).

Some tweaks were obviously made... such as the search for cafes near the Louvre, in the commercial some of the same cafes pop up if you do a real live Google search... but in the commercial the number of reviews for them are different... in fact, the number of reviews in the commercial are higher than show up in a real live search.

I think it was all created, and probably mostly re-created, but based on live real searches.

I'm about to go watch it again. I can't stop watching this spot. It moves me. Which says a lot about a TV commercial.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:19:50 pm

[Todd Terry] "I'm guessing by far it was the cheapest of the SB commercial spots... and my opinion by far the best. "

I don't know, all the Dorito ads were made for a contest, so Dorito's only spent money 25k because non were voted best of the super bowl.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:27:26 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "all the Dorito ads were made for a contest"

And it showed.

But yeah, I forgot about those as far as production costs go. Much like I forgot about them as far as commercials go, too.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:21:44 pm

Funny (or not, in this case) thing about the Doritos spots; last year's were produced by civilians thru a contest and were much better than this years, though this years's all had better "production value" in them, i.e. shot in high def and used better sets and etc.

Just goes to show you it is the execution of a creative idea and not the budget that makes the spot.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Feb 9, 2010 at 12:51:03 am

Re: A creative idea...

A few years ago, FedEx ran a Super Bowl spot that was SMPTE bars with a bit of audio hum and some font running over it, to the effect that someone had spent a boatload of cash to produce a spot and buy the avail, only to have failed to use FedEx to get the spot there on time.

My friends and I thought that one was very clever. And it certainly didn't cost the earth to produce it. Running it? Of course...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:27:32 am

Apparently when you are in Mountain time, and it is not your native time zone, the Superbowl starts early. So I saw the halftime show at the bar at an Outback restaurant, but with only closed captions since they refused to turn off the muzak. The Who with subtitles is not very exciting.

I have watched some of the commercials on Hulu. The Dodge Charger commercial was funny the first 27 times I saw it this evening, then it got a bit old. Most of the spots were so contrived and overtly made to get press that they made me want to not use the companies they were advertising. Ok, I'm a bit punchy after a weekend trip.

cue Michael C. Hall narration:

I will read the forum posts in my inbox.
I will create clever blog posts.
I will take grainy pictures on my cell phone.
I will listen to Bob Zelin criticize my posts.
I will listen to Bob Zelin criticize my friends' posts.
I will watch tutorials about after effects pre-compositing.
I will view demo reels from motion graphics artists.
I will encourage my friends to subscribe to the magazine.
Why?
Because I am a creative cow.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:44:13 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "I don't know, all the Dorito ads were made for a contest, so Dorito's only spent money 25k because non were voted best of the super bowl."

Not so. I think the Doritos "underdog" spot earned its maker $600,000 (against a production cost of $200) and the "House Rules" spot some much lesser amount. There's a story in the NY Times (and plenty of other places I bet) about it.

btw - imho, best Superbowl spot by a country mile: "House Rules." Absolutely brilliant.

The NY Times story said that Madison Avenue should be afraid, because of the success of the consumer and company-generated (e.g. Google) spots.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Nicholas Bierzonski
Re: Best Superbowl spot this year & Spot Link
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:54:11 pm

The thing I liked the most about the Google spot was the subtle use of Sound Effects in the background.

Examples; When searching for "Study abroad Paris France" we overhear the noise of an airplane and a loudspeaker announcement at an airplane terminal.

When searching for "long distance relationships" we hear a phone ring twice. A girl picks up and says "Hello" with a French accent.

Subtle but nicely done.

Also the music slowly builds and gives a nice heartbeat pace to the whole spot. It resolves nicely on a major chord.

I thought this spot easily was the cheapest of the night yet it was
the most original and effective.

Kudos to whomever created this spot!

Here's a link to the spot:

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Best Superbowl spot this year & Spot Link
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:48:41 pm

[Nicholas Bierzonski] "I thought this spot easily was the cheapest of the night yet it was
the most original and effective."

"Cheapest" is relative. Google's ad was internally generated, so the costs aren't visible, but I believe that Google does pay its employees. And the Google research that informed those employees in their creative decisions is priceless.

Cheapest was probably the Doritos "underdog," at (allegedly) $200.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]