BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Renew Yellow Pages or not?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey GouldRenew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:57:47 pm

Hi, It's that time of the year for renewal of my Yellow Pages ad and I'm not sure what to do. I can only think of one job that I got from it, about 3 years ago...but that client is still coming to me with projects and the ad has paid for itself many times over. But since then I only get calls from people wanting to "rent videos" (I'm not a video store) or transfer old movies or VHS to DVD, which I don't do either.

Do the Yellow Pages still carry the weight they used to, as far as credibility goes (not a fly by night company) or is Google King now? I do use Google Ad Words and on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Thanks for any direction.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:06:09 pm

I can't remember the last time I opened the Yellow Pages. I used Google this morning. I imagine a lot of people out there don't use the Yellow pages anymore. If the Yellow Pages aren't charging you a lot of money why not?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:35:28 pm

The biggest and most difficult part of any marketing plan in my opinion is tracking the results. The most simple thing to do is simply ask EVERY person that contacts you where they truthfully got your name. Some will say google, but they more than likely got it from a peer or something else and then googled you. You need to know this. (Plus its a great way to keep in touch with that other client and say thanks.) You also need to gauge the ROI on each effort.

With regards to the phone book, which I quit about 10 years ago, you need to know which book - not just "the yellow pages". Verizon, Sprint, YellowBook, etc AND which year. The Yellow Book guy was the one to shoot himself in the foot when he told me to ask which page they were calling from. This told me without fail the year and book they were using. It confirmed no calls for 6 months came from Yellow. He had no argument. It also told me most people use 3-5 year-old books!

For me, like you mentioned, the amount of annoying calls from job seekers and lesser work was more of a hassle than the 1 or 2 legitimate jobs that came in.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:26:24 am

would you hire an editing facility, or dub house from the phone book ? Only grandma, who wants to make a copy of her 8mm movie of her wedding would use the yellow pages. And perhaps the happy couple that needs a wedding photographer/videographer.

With that said, if I needed a plumber or locksmith, I would STILL use the Yellow Pages.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:23:51 pm

[Bob Zelin] "if I needed a plumber or locksmith, I would STILL use the Yellow Pages."

A couple of years ago I might have agreed. But Google has built into its intelligence the ability to localize users based (I believe) on their IP address. So if I type in plumber, it gives me a list of local plumbers as top choices. So I quite literally NEVER check the paper-based yellow anything anymore. (And for plumbing I call my friend Joel.)

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:28:43 pm

Hi Bob, I agree with all you wrote, so true about the Plumber, Electrician, Locksmith type of work. I asked a few friends and they said they never reach for the phone book, they Google, even locally.

Stephen, The YP ad I use is only $125 a month, but I'd rather put that money into Google Adwords. If even one person in the past three years of any value called me due to the YP, I wouldn't even consider not renewing.

Steve, thanks for you conveying your experiences with Yellow Page advertising, I appreciate it.

Nick, Just saw your post as I was typing this and I agree with you and that also goes along with what my friends told me. Also, as I get older, I find it hard to read the phone numbers in the phone book and its just not worth getting the dollar store reading glasses out for that. :-) Thanks everyone. Jeff

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:24:27 pm

[Jeffrey] Stephen, The YP ad I use is only $125 a month, but I'd rather put that money into Google Adwords. If even one person in the past three years of any value called me due to the YP, I wouldn't even consider not renewing.

$125 a month, oh my...that is a lot of money. That is $1,500 a year. I would put that money into a SEO person to help bust your search engine ratings. (If your site needs it) The guy I use is great.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:30:34 pm

My neighbor has a car service and he pays almost $500 a month. I used to have a 1/4 page ad that was a few hundred a month when I shot weddings. I'm glad you agree with taking the money and putting into SEO/Google. Thanks.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:13:51 am

All I put in the yellow pages is a link to the website.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:44:23 pm

General rule of thumb: match medium and message.

If you make or consume via a screen, best to advertise on a screen. Online is a better bang for the buck of course, but look at how much better movie listings work online. You can even buy tickets online. Screen, screen, screen.

If the service has nothing to do with a screen, the Yellow Pages still works best. Just for grins, compare your local restaurant listings online to Yellow Pages. It's amazing how little is available online. And as Bob points out, any kinds of trades are best found in the Yellow Pages.

The one one one exception is if you need somebody in your immediate vicinity and can't figure it out from the Yellow Pages. But even Google gives junk returns, and misses some of the options that may work best for you.

For us, though, online is best for *advertising.* Plenty of ways to do local *marketing* that are more effective than YP.

tw

Return to posts index

John BaumchenRe: Renew Yellow Pages or not?
by on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:50:37 pm

If it isn't driving business your way then it's a waste of money.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2010 at 4:03:02 pm

Thank you everyone for your input...I'll be putting the dollars elsewhere.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]