BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Non-union Hourly Rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh DayNon-union Hourly Rates
by on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:53:15 pm

I am a non-union editor in NYC and I have just been hired to edit a spec commercial for a major retail company. The producer is putting together a estimated budget and has asked me what my hourly rate is. As I am just starting out, I am not sure what the going hourly rates are for non-union jobs. If anyone could give me an idea of what current non-union pay scales look like, I\'d very much appreciate it.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Non-union Hourly Rates
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:22:12 am

There isn't one. While most freelancers in your area charge 60-80 an hour, it sounds like you may wanna go much lower until you get some milage under your belt.

Return to posts index

Roy SchneiderRe: Non-union Hourly Rates
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:50:00 pm

NYC is a large market with rates up and down the board. An experienced editor generally gets between $50 and $80 dollars an hours with OT after 10. That being said there is a lot of editing and a lot of editors out there and good people are working for $35 and $40 dollars an hour to feed there families.

For a spec spot and a young editor I would stay on the $35 to $40 using there system and $50 to $70 with your system. Also talk with the producer and come up with a rate you are both comfortable with.

DON'T give away the house! You may eventually need a place to stay!
Good Luck

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Non-union Hourly Rates
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:23:05 pm

If they say the magic phrase: "Cut us a cheaper deal on this first one, and we'll give you all the future business", this is your cue to look the speaker in the eye, smile, nod, and leave the room without a word. Just grab your coat and leave. Nothing said after that magic phrase is going to get any better, and you'd be a fool to accept such terms.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved