BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Cold calling works!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Cold calling works!
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:53:11 am

Bummed. Biz slow. Slowest (or should I say least profitable?) in 33 years. Contacted everyone. All my areas of operation dead. Sent out postcards. Went to network meetings. Shmoozed clients. Losing all bids to cheap kids. Getting websites revamped. Cutting new reel. Used every trick. Shook every tree. Cold as hell. Nothing to do, so....

I start doing research, playing around on Linkedin, and come across a sports marketing association with a local chapter and start seeing marketing (read: need videos!) companies I have never heard of and start dialing for dollars. Third call, forwarded to several folks and I introduce myself to the fourth one with a 10 second elevator speech and he says, "Funny you should call, we were just discussing we need a video for a client." Meeting next week!

So comrades, this has happened plenty before, if they don't call us, we call them! Cold calling works, it's just a matter of the odds.

Good luck!

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
http://www.bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Cold calling works!
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:51:55 pm

"Losing all bids to cheap kids. "

I've heard of this but we never talked about bidding while I was in school. Where does this bidding take place, or how does one bid for a project/client?

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:52:22 am

you just realized this after 33 years ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:53:58 pm

Hi Bob,

I've always cold called, it's just the last resort for me. Ever since the invention of voice mail it's rough to succeed. What I meant by 33 years is that I have never seen business so bad in 33 years, all sectors slow (TV, corporate & documentaries). I had a good '09 since March but I now believe this is a double dip recession. Lots of my work is for Fortune 100s, they're dead. The cable networks will do anything to avoid shooting that includes travel, so being in Chicago is a negative. Documentaries have become do-it-yourself shooting. A perfect storm...

And Rob,

What I mean by "kids" stealing bids is being so young they charge practically nothing, as I once did when I was living in my parents' house.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:04:13 pm

[Ned Miller] "I now believe this is a double dip recession."

People will wish that this is a recession, as it just keeps going on and on.

Unfortunately it isn't one.

As I have said in this forum before and feel compelled to do again, what we are seeing is a complete and utter reshuffling of opportunities and reallocation of money and resources around the world. It is a pendulum effect of redistributing wealth and power, as powers and economies pull and affect the future. It is going to stay like this for the foreseeable future.

Onetime under-performing nations like the "BRIC Nations," (Brasil, Russia, India, China) are no longer what they were. They have become formidable players in the world economy.

Sovereign Wealth Funds (huge pools of money that are the property of nations who invest it) are moved in and out of markets and create huge impacts, good and bad -- depending on how the funds are played.

The internet is having the same kind of "dangerous proximity" effect on economies that air travel has had on biological /bacterial/viral outbreaks around the world.

This is far more than any recession that we have known in the past.

Our children and grandchildren, speaking as an American, will inherit a world and an economy far different than the one that my father and grandfather lived in.

The rules are changing in such core fundamental ways, that to call it a recession is to do one's self a great disservice because it is so much more than a recession.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Jan 30, 2010 at 10:22:35 pm

Hey Ron,

[Ron Lindeboom] "People will wish that this is a recession, as it just keeps going on and on. Unfortunately it isn't one. As I have said in this forum before and feel compelled to do again, what we are seeing is a complete and utter reshuffling of opportunities and reallocation of money and resources around the world. It is a pendulum effect of redistributing wealth and power, as powers and economies pull and affect the future. It is going to stay like this for the foreseeable future."

Amen, I am with you 100%.

The UK for one spent 60 years paying its debts off for fighting World War II, now it will have to spend another 120 years dealing with this thing the experts didn't want to call a recession until it was too late. And now it is no longer a recession, because in our part of the world we have sold/exported all of the Crown Jewels to pay for the last gig - manufacturing, Farming and services.

And then there is the clever ones that tells us that we can innovate ourselves out of this situation with our advanced educational systems and laboratories - hellooo!!! Even if we could, it has been proven that other cultures have no problems in copying our trademarks, patents, software and films. It will just be a question of time before the Indian educational system teams up with Chinese manufacturing, then the rest of us will have a problem...

All sounds like Doom & Gloom - but really, as much as I feel that I have a poorer not as happy life-style as that of my parents generation when they were in their late twenties/early thirties, I also believe that I with all my tools of communication around me has a chance and and opportunity to do my part about solving all of those problems. The solution is really easy:
Bring back manufacturing and start supporting farming again.
Do not allow a large proportion of a country's healthy workers to be on social services when there are jobs they can do, currently been done by people on immigrant visas.
Stop trading with/importing/buying products from nations that doesn't respect your I/P.
And then, innovate, innovate, innovate - maybe a trip to Mars is needed? Certainly green tech and a hopeful lessor reliance on raw materials will catapult us forward.

All so simplistic and still so impossible :-)

My 10c on a slow Saturday.

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Latest video to watch here:

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Feb 2, 2010 at 2:21:09 pm

Funny how a thread on cold calling ended up being hijacked into a thread about world finances and politics.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Feb 2, 2010 at 2:36:39 pm

Yes, let's return to basics: In these trying economic times what are others doing to drum up business, assuming you need more biz? I have a diversified client base and it's very unusual for all sectors to be dead simultaneously. My major retail accounts are not spending one dime on video communications, my corporate clients are actually going back to DV so it doesn't look like they're wasting money, my documentary clients have taught themselves how to use prosumer cameras or are getting slave labor off of Craigslist., etc.

So, assuming you're slow (which is not unusual for the winter here in Chicago), how do you go about prospecting? Are you using email blasts like Constant Contact? Going to networking events? Direct mail? Cold calling? SEO? My websites are dated and I am having them revamped but my history of new business has mainly been referrals so I have had no incentive to pour money into my sites, until now.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]