BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Me being nit-picky - COW subject lines

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd TerryMe being nit-picky - COW subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:09:09 am

Hey kids...

Maybe this doesn't bother anyone else at all (probably doesn't), but thought I'd air a minor COW pet peeve...

It seems that with semi-rare but increasing occasional frequency there will be a long thread going on of some good discussion about something... and then suddenly.... BAM!!... right in the middle of it someone will change the "subject line" of the thread for a post or two.

Why does this bug me? Because I usually don't have time to actually visit the COW site itself but once or twice a day... usually only to ask a question, or respond to someone who has an issue that I might be able to contribue to. Rather, I get emails regarding new postings or replies to existing ones in the various forums that I help host and a couple of other ones that I haunt.

For those of us relying on the email alerts, instead of an email titled: "Subject: Re: The-thing-you-already-know-what-people-are-talking-about," instead we get "Subject: Something-brand-new-out-of-the-blue."

Ergo... someone might have what would otherwise be an interesting or useful post, but I don't know what the heck they are talking about or what it is in reference to.

Looking back, there have been more than a couple of occasions that I missed what would have otherwise been something I wanted to read or find useful... but I didn't because I didn't know what it was referring to and might not have even read it at all.

I'd suggest that if someone really feels the need to change the subject line of an existing thread, they do it as an addendum to the existing subject, rather than changing it altogether.

As I said... if this doesn't bother anyone else, just ignore me. Chalk me up in the "cranky curmudgeon" category... maybe Zelin and I can get matching jackets.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Me being nit-picky - COW subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 1:14:25 pm

This happens a LOT in the Final Cut Pro forum and is incredibly annoying. Wish the Cow could lock the subjects of each thread so this doesn't happen. Once you set a Subject, nobody else can change it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Me being nit-picky - COW subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 2:50:41 pm

I think this topic-changing feature is called "Mamet Mode".

"Did you talk to that guy about the thing at that place that one time?"

"That thing from yesterday?"

"No, his, ..the other thing..."

"Oh, right, yes. He said what you thought he would."

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Curmudgeons and Dynamic Subject Lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 3:41:19 pm

Bummer, as a truly cranky curmudgeon -- and as someone who likely won't ever stop changing changing subject lines when it makes sense to (or I just feel like it -- I doubt this phenomenon will ever change.

It's been going on like this for the 15 years we've been building media communities. I don't foresee anything changing soon. But who knows, perhaps we'll see a slow gradual change that takes place over the next 15 years or so. There is always hope.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Curmudgeons and Dynamic Subject Lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:01:38 pm

You just did it yourself, Ron; very dry wit, that, if it was intentional. better give yourself a 5-minute time-out in the corner
:-)

Seriously, One of the things I really enjoy about the COW is how disciplined and orderly, yet still cordial and fun-loving it is, compared to MANY other forums and boards I use. A lot of that is due to Ron and Tim's Iron Hand and watchful gaze, and to involved and dedicated moderators, no question, but I think in any forum, you can make the "netiquette" pretty self-regulating, pretty quickly, if someone points out a practices violation to whoever transgresses. They tend not to do the same thing twice if they are made to realize that what they've done is not approved of. Well, except for the thin-skinned and immature ones, but they don't last long here anyhow.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: The Thin-Skinned and Immature Ones
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:35:05 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Well, except for the thin-skinned and immature ones, but they don't last long here anyhow."

Yes, they do not last long here at the COW. The thin-skinned learn to either suck it up and go on, or they find that in a community where hundreds of thousands are posting, they don't get their way all of the time.

No one does.

Not even those that are paying the bills.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: The Thin-Skinned and Immature Ones
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:45:18 pm

You're still doing it. Changing the headings, I mean. Isn't that a mixed message? Or am I trying to read too much into things; I've been doing that a lot lately.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonWhy I change subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:04:49 pm

If a thread morphs such that it needs a new thread, I start it.

But if a thread morphs so that the evolving conversation only makes sense in the context of previous posts in the same thread, then I change the subject line.

This particularly makes sense for people who view the forum with new posts at the top, but it's still useful in thread view. For example, in this thread, it helps to see that not every post in this long line is about exactly the same thing.

Progress and accuracy, man. I dig it.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Why I change subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:33:35 pm

Well, THAT makes sense, Tim.... it's the random changes that are frustrating.

Such as, I'll get an email with the subject "[Cow] Try this, it works like a charm!" and then the message might say "You're right, I've been struggling with that problem for months, but just de-select the second check box on that page and, voilĂ !... problem solved!"

It makes me silently scream "What the hell are they talking about???"... inside my head of course. Outwardly I'm the picture of patience and decorum.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Why I change subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:48:24 pm

I change the subject line frequently, so I apologize if that annoys you, Todd. You don't seem cranky at all, but I have to disagree with you, and would not want to see locked subject lines.

1. There are benefits from changing subject lines. I don't always have the time to look at every post in a thread, so if someone takes the discussion in a direction that sounds interesting, I like to know that. Similarly, I appreciate it when someone simply wants to say "Thanks" or "problem solved" and puts those words in the subject line, thereby saving me the small slice of time it would take to click and read.

2. There's no substantive negative from changing subject lines. Visually, the way the COW lays out threads makes it quite easy to tell which thread a given post belongs to. Being able to scan a thread and seeing in a subject line a new twist to the discussion is like chapter headings in a book - very useful.

3. The alternative of opening up new but closely-related threads would make the busier COW forums more time-consuming to plow through.

Where I might agree with Todd: gratuitous subject line changes. But I can't say that's ever really annoyed me.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Why I change subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:00:44 pm

[Bob Cole] "There's no substantive negative from changing subject lines."

For those of us who get 99% of our COW info from email, there is.

[Bob Cole] "Visually, the way the COW lays out threads makes it quite easy to tell which thread a given post belongs to."

Which again, requires us to log into the site to see that... especially if I'm out and about on the go, I can't do that except a couple of times a day.

It's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. It seems to me that just amending or adding to the existing subject line rather than changing it to something completely (especially something that blindly sounds completely unrelated to the previous topic) would make everyone happy.

But that's just me.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Why I change subject lines
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:00:59 pm

On o few of of the email boards I use, what we try to do is, when we feel like we need to re-title a thread, because the topic has morphed or split or strayed, the new header will go something like:

Color bars test, WAS (name of previous thread).

or

WAS (name of previous thread) NOW (new name of thread).

All that does is give folks like Todd (and me) a quick reference to follow what came before, and I think it helps reduce confusion, particularly if you get most of your COW stuff thru the email updates. You don't have to change any hardware or software, just your own behavior when posting, totally a subjective personal call. Also, it lets the people that want to stay with the original topic, do that more easily. We don't do it 100% consistently, but it does seem to help. Maybe that's worth a try, just putting that out there.

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoHappy cows come from california
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:50:23 pm

[Mark Suszko] "A lot of that is due to Ron and Tim's Iron Hand and watchful gaze..."

...So is Ron like a Cattle Rancher with a piece of straw in his mouth and Tim is....like...Lassie or something like that?

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonWhat's wrong, Lassie?
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:35:58 pm

[Jeff Bonano] "Tim is....like...Lassie or something like that?"

Happy cows come from California and Timmy's in the well.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissHow to stop ruminating
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:58:27 pm

The Hunstville market has evidently slowed down in January, and that cold wave throughout the south probably hasn't helped much, so it's easy to start ruminating about all the things that are wrong with the world. Believe me, even though it's 76 and sunny here, I can still commiserate.

So Todd, use your free time to exercise, and get pumped-up for that New Orleans Saints victory that's coming tomorrow. The cold snap will be over soon and you'll see that The Cow will again become perfect.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: How to stop ruminating
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:09:12 pm

Ha... David, there's that wry wit we love :)

Yep, we're doing nothing here but reading magazines and watching our "stories" on daytime TV.

Actually, I multi-task and ruminate when doing other things. Fortunately, we're pretty darn busy... lucky enough to be the proverbial one-armed paperhangers. Today I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off. We've just produced a big multi-spot commercial campaign for a large client which will be the first local commercials in our market to air in HD, starting Monday. That might not be a big deal to most of you guys, but here in the sticks it is. The local stations have only been passing on the networks' HD signals until now, with no local HD production... until we forced their hands. I've been running around testing files at TV stations to make sure they play flawlessly. A zillion test files later, and it looks like it will work. Someday this will be like bragging about color TV or stereo audio, but here at our place today it's something to talk about.... ha.

But you're right... been bitterly cold here. Thank God's it has warmed up a bit.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: How to stop ruminating
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:14:10 pm

[Todd Terry] "We've just produced a big multi-spot commercial campaign for a large client which will be the first local commercial in our area to air in HD, starting Monday. "

What, no 3D???

Congrats!!! Being the first in town to go HD should be good for business.

See, things are lightening-up already and your serotonin levels are returning to normal.

Go Saints Go!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenThis is why i would change a subject line
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 1:53:40 am

For example, occasionally there is thread entitled "Clients we hate" or something similar.

I may have something useful to add, but I don't want Google associating my name with "clients we hate" (aside from this post :) ) so I may change to something like "client satisfaction" or something more benign.

Todd - sorry I changed the subject again - seems to be the theme of this thread.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: This is why i would change a subject line
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:50:33 am

I agree with the Google bit. When was the last time any of you googled your name or business? Like doing an annual credit check, it's always a good idea to check yourself out on Google from time to time...Lassie would have wanted it that way, right Tim?

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Steve WargoGuilty!
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 1:43:06 pm

I am guilty of this quite often.

I tried to type GUILTY in the subject line but Ron wouldn't allow me to.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Guilty!
by on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:35:13 pm

[Steve Wargo] "I tried to type GUILTY in the subject line but Ron wouldn't allow me to."

Yes, we have the mechanism set to disallow ALL CAPS subject lines because they look like crap when people use them.

:)

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Guilty!
by on Jan 18, 2010 at 7:35:22 am

Drats! Foiled again.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .