BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Is it just me??

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick HaenslerIs it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 1:29:02 pm

Happy New Year everyone. I haven't been around much as I've been doing quite a bit more photography lately and have been hanging on those forums. I just started getting back to The Cow and some other videography forums and have been noticing a trend. That is...people starting a post and than never acknowledging or thanking folks for responding to their query. I know when I respond to a post I usually put quite a bit of thought into what I'm saying and it would be kinda nice for the OP to acknowledge that. Anybody else notice this??

BTW, it's good to be back. This is a special community where I have gleaned a lot of useful knowledge that has helped make my business the success that it is. So if I have ever done the above and not acknowledged someone for helping me, let me say a big THANK YOU!! to everyone that has helped me along the way. Especially Walter for not only answering my questions here on The Cow, but spending over 2 hours on the phone with me a few years ago when I was just starting out. What can I say...Cow Rocks!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:18:38 pm

Yep, Mick, I have noticed that.

Most of the people here are very gracious and appreciative of the help they get... fortunately. I try to be the same way when it's me coming here to get advice as well as give it.

But... just like anywhere, there are invariably a few clods who do not have any social skills.

There's one occasional poster in particular that will ask for help (they usually aren't difficult problems), be given several thoughtful responses by people, but you never hear back from his original post. Never a "I'll try that," or a "That won't work because..." or even just a "Thank you." He's even emailed me off forum for advice, which I happily gave. I'll assume my emails back to him went through. Can't say for sure because I never heard boo back from him.

Know what? I don't respond to his posts anymore. At all. Even when I might have a perfect/easy solution.

I don't need to be thanked for my efforts... not at all. But it's a bit saddening not to be even acknowledged at all.

Fortunately most people aren't like that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:08:40 pm

Actually the trend I've noticed is people who post a question with a preconceived notion of what the answer "should be."

Then they proceed to tell us why the answer is really what it "should be" instead of the suggestions we've given them.

Or of course there's the classic comeback that "Well Apple/Adobe/Avid/Manufacturer better make this change in their next update because that's the way it should be and if they want to keep this customer, they darn well better listen to what I say."

Careful kid, you're gonna shoot your eye out.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:10:09 pm

Well for those lacking the social skills of basic interaction, it's just more names that go on my Black Rolodex of Death.

I practically came in to this business through the grace of extremely knowledgeable and experienced people, taking time from their lives to teach me what they know. Because of this I have always been compelled to share and also acknowledge those who have helped me.

On the other side of the fence I am equally annoyed by people who answer posts by saying:

"This has been already discussed, just search for it."

I would much prefer(as more commonly practiced here in the cow):

"This has been already discussed here is the link...."

There are times where I have searched up and down the forums knowing that I could not be the only one that has had this problem, but cant find the right answer. Sometimes it just doesnt work.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:16:34 pm

"There are times where I have searched up and down the forums knowing that I could not be the only one that has had this problem, but cant find the right answer. Sometimes it just doesn't work."

That's usually when I do post. And I know I've come up with some interesting ones. (i.e., high in the sky videography) But I try, and sometimes I do forget, to do a search first. I already can tell you that I would have 3 times as many posts if I never searched for my answers first...but I digress...

I think it's a good point about some people who don't understand good etiquette, but I give people the benefit of the doubt if they don't post often in any kind of forum...as long as they try to be polite.

Oh, and like mentioned above...If I too have ever forgot to respond or say thank you...THANKS TO EVERY COW MEMBER THAT HAS HELPED ME IN THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE! You guys are the bomb! Fo Shizzle my Cowizzles.....Word-UP Yo!

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:37:21 pm

I would especially like to thank Nick Griffin for getting me involved in this forum in the first place. In fact, I am thankful for the ability to participate here and elsewhere. It is fun, after all.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:17:26 pm

I would add my thanks to the bunch of you, I've learned something from every one of you, and continue to, daily.

What key do we sing "Kum ba ya" in, anyway? :-)

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:33:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sometimes I think it's me being overly sensitive. We have so many different ways to communicate these days I think it's important to be reminded to show some basic courtesies that can get overlooked if we're not careful.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:08:42 pm

you guys are WAY to sensitive. I use Creative Cow, no differently than most people do - TO GET INFORMATION. Now, I like all you guys, but I want to learn, and if I share a little, I get back. A few minutes ago, I checked on a smart ass answer that I replied to on the Blackmagic Forum about decoding close captioning with the Ultrascope (and other scopes) - a subject that I know very little about. Because my answer was not very accurate, I was blasted (because I blast others), but in the process, I was given VERY ACCURATE INFORMATION on exactly what products ARE doing close captioning decoding. I verified this on these companies web sites, and it was accurate information.

THIS IS THE VALUE OF THE COW. Learning what you cannot learn by yourself. So if I answer questions, and no one says "thank you for the correct answer" - I dont' care - because I give a little, and I get back A LOT.

I have only one thank you - THANK YOU CREATIVE COW.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Is it just me??
by on Jan 10, 2010 at 5:58:12 pm

[Bob Zelin] "So if I answer questions, and no one says "thank you for the correct answer" - I dont' care "

Thank you for your insight Bob. I appreciate you and sincerely hope you continue entertaining us and informing us with your always colorful albeit curmudgeonly responses. There's room for everyone at the table eh?

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]