BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How do you manage your invoices?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bann
How do you manage your invoices?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:06:30 am

hello,

i was curious what programs you guys use to manage your invoices?

i usually just have a folder with my invoices in .doc format, but have found
its a bit messy and hard to keep track who paid me!
(especially during tax season)

in your opinion, is pdf format better than .doc?

thanks
shawn

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How do you manage your invoices?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:33:17 am

Quickbooks Pro.

I think you'll find that's the choice of lots of small business people here.

Does a heck of a lot more useful stuff than just invoicing, too.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Bann
on Jan 8, 2010 at 5:41:19 am

drat-
looks like it is PC only

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:00:25 am

One of the many, many reasons that millions of Mac users...like me...are using solutions like BootCamp and VMware Fusion. There are too many PC-only applications that are absolutely critical to making your life, and especially your business life, easier...a reality that Apple has clearly acknowledged by investing millions of dollars to support Windows.

No worries about hating Windows, which many dual-OS users still do. Substitute the Win control key for the Mac command key in keyboard shortcuts, and you're mostly done. You'll find that Quickbooks, as well as the "real" version of Quicken, make easy sense to use, and are more than worth that minor effort to manage keyboard shortcuts.

And if that's really a stumbling block, there's a free utility you can download to remap Windows commands to your Mac keyboard.

Improved productivity and more efficient collection of money from your clients are at hand. Go for it.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:15:10 am

I just switched from QuickBooks to Clarityaccounting.com for this year. It's all web-based, like Gmail or Google Docs, and it's cross-platform (unlike QuickBooks ActiveX-based web system). I haven't been using it enough yet to comment authoritatively on it, but I already like that I can access it anywhere, from my Mac editing system or my Windows netbook.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:45:47 pm

I have to second what Tim said. I run have been running Quickbooks Pro in Parallels (on my Mac) for a number of years and can't imagine trying to run my business without Quickbooks. My primary business is duplication and replication, so the majority of what I sell is taxable. Quickbooks makes easy work out of managing sales tax. I think you can get a free demo of Quickbooks, but you would have to have a host OS to run it, and I don't think you would be able to demo the virtual OS part of the equation.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:05:51 pm

Quickbooks Pro since we opened in 2001. At tax time we simply give a copy of the account to our CPA. Very simple to use.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 5:36:04 pm

There is a Mac version

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting-software/mac-accounting-sof...

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:10:38 pm

I just use word. Easy. Quick. No worries.
Ihave a paid pile and an unpaid pile. Once peid, my wife moves it to the other stack.
Very technoid here. ;)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bonano
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:55:26 pm

Grinner is technologically up to date as much as I am. I just build my own Invoice in Word, then I send a .pdf version to my client via e-mail and in person just in case. I like .pdf because they can't change it when I send a quote to them.

And while I keep a copy on my compy, I still like to kill trees and file a hard copy with any "paid" notes or "faxed date" notes, etc...

I find it's easier to jot down a quick note on the back of my copy of the invoice just in case I forget something. I just pull their invoice and paperwork whenever I need to reference something. Including how many times I've tried calling them for payment and the time/dates attempted.

...but then again, my business is still small enough that I'm not overwhelmed by too much paperwork come tax time. It's bad enough I have to deal with tax exempt government clients, but that's pretty much the worst of my paperwork!

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:12:23 pm

For bookeeping, we work in Quickbooks using Parallels/XP on a mac because the mac version is crap. That's for our accounting - but to coordinate between several of us, we keep a full list of projects, payment status, budget codes, etc., in a numbers document on a shared idisk folder. When a project is completed, I update the document, it syncs via mobileme/idisk to the other macs, and then our accounting person picks it up and has all the billable information.

We also use our own pages document/invoice template to invoice clients rather than using quickbooks. We had problems with quickbooks being slow on delivering invoices - I forget what the situation was, but quickbooks didn't allow a simple pdf export function at the time. Regardless, all invoices are also stored in mobile me servers, so they're accessible from my iphone or any computer with internet access.

When it's time to send an invoice, the Pages / Share function is dead simple and provides a rock solid PDF that our clients love. It works, and keeps everybody happy and not completely attached to a single computer.

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:17:49 pm

I used to have a similar workflow, but a few years ago I switched completely to Quickbooks. I use the Print to PDF function to emails invoices and since our credit card processing is all done through Intuit, I have it set to include a link in the invoice to pay online using a credit card. They click on it, and it forwards them to a little site with out company logo on Intuit's server and they pay securely. As soon as they pay, I get an email and then I can go into Quickbooks and sync the payment that posts to their account. Works wonderfully.

I like you idea of having it sync with mobileMe to be accessible on your iphones. Intuit, I think it's time for an iPhone App that syncs with my Quickbooks file.....

Return to posts index

Edber Mamisao
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:58:51 pm

is the Mac version of quickbooks that much different?
Their website claims it has equal features as the PC version.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting-software/mac-accounting-sof...

sounds like quickbooks is the hands down winner!

thanks
shawn

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:02:35 am

Unless these have been DRASTIC changes made in the last year, YES, the mac version IS VERY different than the Windows counterparts. Last time I looked, they might as well not be sold under the same name.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:08:14 am

[Edber Mamisao] "is the Mac version of quickbooks that much different?
Their website claims it has equal features as the PC version."

We could never get a copy to our accountant that he could use from the Mac version, despite the claim from Intuit that you can export from Mac and have a PC user read the file.

So we run it on a PC here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:38:46 am

That's been our experience as well. The real insult here is that the head of Intuit is also on the Apple board. Quickbooks is one of the most non-intuitive programs I've ever tried to use. God help you if your accountant is on a year version that's different from your bookkeeper.

There really needs to be more competition in accounting software - and certainly more interoperability between versions. Especially if every year the one major player we have updates itself out of function with other versions of itself.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 9, 2010 at 6:53:50 am

[walter biscardi] "So we run it on a PC here."

I know Walter is not alone. Except for one graphics Mac we are an all-PC house, so it's not a problem. But a friend who is a businessman with an office full of Macs was constantly tearing his hair out and fighting with Intuit over problems with the Apple version.

So, like several other people I know of, he just bought an inexpensive off-the-shelf PC and dedicated it to accounting... and has been happily running Quickbooks ever since.

He found that was cheaper in the long run, rather than wasting valuable time wrestling with the Apple version. It's not a power-hungry program, so could might even be able to run if off a $300 netbook... or a cheapo eBay or CraigsList machine.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Stankoski
on Jan 9, 2010 at 9:32:22 pm

Isn't anyone here using QuickBooks Online? We've been using it for a few years on Macs with no issues.

Michael Stankoski
JungleTV, Miksta Media
http://www.jungletv.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Alber
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:23:54 am

I know this isn't common for folks on this thread, but I've been using an app my Marketcircle called Billings Mac (http://www.billingsapp.com). It's really popular among the graphic design/web design community.

I like it. I've used it for a year now. It's simple enough to not get in the way, but offers some great features. They just released an iPhone version on the iTunes App Store, which I also own. They sync together so I can invoice and track time while I'm away from my Mac.... and since you're on a Mac, I think you'll feel at home with it.

It's not a standard like QuickBooks for PC/Mac, but check out the site and the application's reviews.

Also, if you're needing a CRM solution, you might consider Daylite and Daylite Touch (also made by Marketcircle) and integrates with Billings.

Nathan.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:45:53 am

I use Peachtree software, mostly because I do my own payroll and back in 2001 there wasn't a great solution that my accountant at that time could exchange with me. I believe Quickbooks did not have a Payroll option then. But Peachtree has been a good investment. It has been solid as a rock and payroll and other HR and client management needs have been rock solid.

Knocking wood...

BTW, run it on my only PC in the office, and it does a few other conversion tasks etc...we even convert Avid bins on that old PC.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Bann
on Jan 12, 2010 at 1:46:51 am

the billings app is pretty attractive
especially at the $39 price point & iphone integration.

thanks for all the feedback!

shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]