BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Issues with logos being seen?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welksIssues with logos being seen?
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:18:37 am

I want to create a weekly web show/podcast that I intend to do product reviews and interviews with. What liability, if any, is there with me using my Macbook Pro notebook and having the logo display? What about other corporate logos that might appear on the show? Perhaps someone being interviewed wearing
a shirt with a logo, etc.

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Issues with logos being seen?
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:23:12 am

We deal with this on many of our broadcast shows all the time. I can tell you that many of the "blurs" you see on TV have more to do with product exclusivity deals than any fear of liability. For example, if Pepsi is sponsoring the show, they don't want to see the cast drinking Coke.

I would say that in your case you have nothing to worry about. (But I'm not a lawyer... )

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Issues with logos being seen?
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:30:10 pm

You should get releases signed any time you interview somebody. In situations where I ask for a signed erlease, I usually shoot them on camera signing it and agreeing verbally as well, so there is no misunderstanding.

If you use a compnay's logo without their express permission, they can protest it, (doesn't mean they always win) and in the case of youtube, that can get your video yanked immediately until all the drama can get straightened out. By the time the drama is worked out, the reivew is likely too stale to bother putting back up.

Doing your due diligence up front saves a lot of pain and waste later.

Return to posts index

stan welksRe: Issues with logos being seen?
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:46:32 am

Hi Mark and Mark,

I want to do some product reviews. Based on what you mentioned, if I am doing a review of a product and showing, say a laptop and the logo shows, are you suggesting the company could protest and cause me issues with that? Would you blur a product that has a logo to ensure against these types of issues?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Issues with logos being seen?
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:56:01 am

If anything, a company might issue a cease and desist notice to you, and then, and only then, if you disregard the notice, might they proceed further.

You are probably overly concerned. The Internet is a very, very big space, and it's hard to get noticed for most, even if you try very hard to get noticed.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved