BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

freelance or corporation

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzo
freelance or corporation
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:58:07 pm

I have been an editor for 12 years for the first 6 years I was a freelancer and for the last 6 I operated my own company as a post production house. Now I'm finding with todays economic times I did not have many contracts at my own studio so I'm looking to freelance at other studios to make up for the lack of work on my end. Just wondering how would I represent myself? I am applying to places that I used to consider my competition but I don't think they know me. There was an add placed on the net for a 3-4 month contract to work in there studio. Do I apply through my corporation email address or my personal address? I have a company website with samples and a personal website with samples. What should I use or do I use both? The company that I am applying to needs me to send them a cv and online reel tomorrow. What would be the best way for me to represent myself? how do you guys do it? I don't know if I apply as a company if that would scare them off or not or maybe this would be a standard thing in our line of work. At the end I will bill through my corporation anyways so, do you have any advice for me?

thanks for your help in advanced.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: freelance or corporation
on Dec 20, 2009 at 5:28:29 pm

Be honest.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:21:26 pm

Actually presenting yourself as having owned and operated a company (in my book) would be a plus. I get a lot of freelance work outside my company and I always send them my direct company links as reference/demo reels/contact info.

There is nothing wrong with working your own business and than getting hired to work for other because of your expertise.

Good Luck.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Dec 20, 2009 at 8:54:33 pm

so would i send them an email from my personal website or the company? they are asking for a cv as well, should i put my company info on that cv? my company's services provides the same services to the end user as the company that I'm applying to, would we be in competition?

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Dec 20, 2009 at 9:31:55 pm

Send them the CV to make sure you meet their application requirements. You can also make a reference to your business website for more information and your demo reel. In the CV you should mention your company,it would be extremely easy to find you and your business by googling it anyway.

-If they think you are the competition but youre good at what you do, they will ask you to sign a non-compete contract.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Dec 20, 2009 at 11:43:59 pm

Would I send this from my personal email account or my business emails account? I have a portfolio on both websites, should i send him both. One represents more services I do as a company the other is personal and only mentions editing and compositing along with my bio. What about rates? rates with gear and without is that what people do? sorry did not freelance for a long time. What is a good rate to charge for my experience? i have been cutting for 12 years, live in toronto, canada. I think this contract would be corporate kind of stuff, he did not mention what the kind of work is all I know its a lot of After Effects.

thanks for all your help so far.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:05:25 am

Maybe it will help you if you define what do you want. Do you want to get job for your business or you want to freelance as a person? Go from there.

Review the mission and objectives from both your business and your personal life plan and decide what to do.

You may want to present yourself as a person, but if you find out an opportunity for your company in your interview, then talk about the other services your company does.

As an extra advice: show determination and security. There could be different rates in different places, but you must know your price.

Man, you have a business. Ask yourself how much will you be willing to pay to a Freelance?

PS. I'm from Mexico, so posting my local rates will not help you.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]