BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Music Irony

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan AsselinMusic Irony
by on Dec 20, 2009 at 12:25:46 am

Because of the many conversations that have been held on this forum regarding music rights I thought everyone would find this interesting. Please note that the article starts half-way down the page for reasons only their web people would know.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: Music Irony
by on Dec 20, 2009 at 6:13:32 am

I've come to see the whole issue of rights enforcement as essentially unsolvable. For a while I thought the iTunes model where access was made so simple and the pay per use fee so insignificant that the pendulum was swinging back a bit towards rights compliance. But now I'm feeling that even a system that makes it trivially easy to comply with paying the creators can buck the human desire to simply get what we want NOW without regard to who gets paid anything.

It's sad. But inevitable. And I'm afraid "lottery penalties" where some poor 15 year old suburban girl gets hammered for downloading songs every now and then is about the ONLY thing that can have even a small chance of effecting behavior in practical world where any creative construction that's digitized can be cracked and posted for the worlds masses in 10 seconds flat.

Without that, we'll inevitably have a world where a composers beautiful, touching musical creation is synced with pictures of the Holocaust by some neanderthal in DeMoines without the creator having any say in it whether that's OK or not.

Tough subject. Two sides with legitimate desires, the freedom for one eternally and directly kicking dirt on the perceived rights of the other.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Music Irony
by on Dec 20, 2009 at 12:46:17 pm

I feel for the musician, composers and artist who don't get paid for their work. It's no different than us turning over the project and the client deciding not to pay us.

We can at least choose not to work with grinders, their content is already out there.

Emre Tufekci

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Music Irony
by on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:25:03 pm

Great article, Dan. Thanks for pointing to it.

It really does show the hypocrisy of humanity, doesn't it? The longer I live on this globe, the more I scratch my head in befuddlement at the way in which people will bemoan the way that people do one one thing to them, while they do the exact same thing to others.

Ah, least it's consistent -- as I always say (looking into the mirror and searching for those consistencies and how they play out here in Paso Robles).

People wanted relativistic ethics and now that they have them, they don't seem to like them much -- especially not the affect that it has had on their neighborhoods and such.

To me, the issue runs deeper than music. (Though hey, I just bought the Beatles Mono Boxed Set, and damn these things sound like they used to sound when I was a kid spending every dime I had to get their latest record.)

I'll never forget the story a friend of mine told me about when he recorded under the control of the infamous rock and roll impresario, Don Arden, who owed him money. When he went to him and asked for it, he shoved him out of a third floor window and dangled him there, telling him that if he ever asked again, next time he'd let go. He never asked again, but waited years for his contract to expire so he could move to a new band -- which he did.

These Canadian record company moguls are slicker and more finessed than Don Arden.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved