BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Filemaker Pro Question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas HughesFilemaker Pro Question
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:37:40 pm

I've got a server running our office (the business side, not editing) with about five computers hooked up to it. We do our contracts and keep our associate database on Filemaker. I was cleaning removing some programs from my computer, the computer at my desk, and saw that Filemaker was taking up almost 400 mb. I thought, "Well that's odd, Filemaker has to be on the server since all five computers access it. The Filemaker on my computer must be something that was left over before we had the server." I dumped it. The next time I went to my Filemaker shortcut icon to open it, it couldn't find Filemaker. I checked the other computers in the office and found that they all have the 400mb Filemaker program. And theirs work fine.

It occurred to me that we had five computers sharing Filemaker before we got our server a couple of years a ago. I just checked and the server backs the six Filemaker files up each night, but it doesn't have the program; for Filemaker, it's not the server we're all working from.

I'm not clear how it works for the five computers to share Filemaker if they're not accessing it from the server. I'm just curious about that. What I really need some input on is what steps to take to have Filemaker access at my computer again. Do I reinstall it from the original discs? That doesn't seem to make sense because if I did that, how could it have all of our files in it? Or do I make a copy from someone else's computer and load that copy to mine? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Terence CurrenRe: Filemaker Pro Question
by on Dec 13, 2009 at 8:25:30 am

As I understand Filemaker serve(and I'm no expert) it just plays traffic cop in updating files between clients. It doesn't actually host the files locally.

Caveat: I reserve the right to be wrong about this....

Terence Curren

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved