BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How did I miss this great business opportunity?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How did I miss this great business opportunity?
on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:54:40 am

'>

l

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: How did I miss this great business opportunity?
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:56:05 pm

"Why is she touching the wall? I dunno, that's what depressed people do, right? DON'T JUDGE THE B-ROLL!"

BAahahahahahahaha...

No but seriously... Is there any value to commercials that are built almost entirely from generic b-roll? Infomercials aren't pretty or high art, but for cost/benefit, they are effective. Are cheap generic commercials effective enough to be worth it?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:10:44 pm

Clever. Reminds me of a pretty funny SNL skit of a few years ago. It was the "Stockies," the equivalent of the Academy Awards for stock footage.

The nominees were:

*Pharmacist's hands counting pills in tray

*Woman in park smoking

*The lower half of fat people walking away from the camera

I don't remember who won. Ahhh, the old "news days"...

We have one particular commercial client whose scripts will call for some very very specific action, but when we get into pre-prod for the shoot he will invariably say "Oh can't you just use stock footage?" Like it just appears.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:43:57 pm

[Todd Terry] ""Oh can't you just use stock footage?" Like it just appears."

Years ago when I was spending 90% of my time doing radio we had a client who actually thought that in the studio we had records (vinyl) of announcers saying individual words. In his limited mind he had the idea that we just dubbed the words from the records onto tape and cut them together in the order that they were on the script. Yet he could never find the time to come to an actual session and just wanted to hear the final spots for approval. Any wonder I moved on from radio?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:16:36 pm

[Nick Griffin] "we had a client who actually thought that in the studio we had records (vinyl) of announcers saying individual words."

Actually Nick when I was in college at the student radio station (10 watts!) we did have a big set of vinyl "production elements" records with a booming cheesy voice-of-God announcer with lots of reverb saying endless words and phrases.... "That's great!," "Fantastic!," "But wait!," "And the sale ends Saturday!," "Now hold on!," "Starting Monday!," "For two weeks only," "Now's the time!," "Today!," "But we're just getting started!" and on and on and on. There were probably thousands of phrases.

There were also a couple of records in the set with a cheesy chorus of vocalists singing disc jockey's names... "Now heeeere's Dan," "Now heeeere's Art," "Now heeeere's Don," with several hundred names.

I never heard them used, and the records were considered ancient even back then. Boy I wish I had them today though.... if just for grins.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:53:50 pm

[Todd Terry] "Actually Nick when I was in college at the student radio station (10 watts!)"...

Gee, Todd. Me too. 10 - 15 - whatever watt carrier current radio is where I started. After interning for a summer with Ty Ford (Audio Pros Forum Host) I came back to school and completely re-organized the music library so people could actually find things. Alas, the station got even with me. They made me General Manager.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:13:31 am

I started as a DJ and Promotions director at our college FM and Carrier-current stations and wound up General Manager by my Sophomore year, maybe partly because nobody else wanted to do 10- hour airshifts over summer break... We seem to have more in common than we knew, Todd:-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:30:41 pm

Ask Thought Equity.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:22:09 pm

How come every time I go to look at the Youtube video Mark posted it says deactivated when I click play, yet everyone else seems able to see it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I want to play too... Please!

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:28:52 pm

Looks like something got borked with the embed. Here's a link:

=)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:39:42 pm

Thanks Ryan!!! That's well worth asking for.

What a find Mark!!! I love it...

Clearly Aaron Rabinowitz saw this before creating his Crowd Control site???

http://allbetsareoff.com/products/crowd-control/

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:18:36 am

At least now I have a place to send people when they ask me what b-roll IS....

I was joking about Thought Equity earlier, but I went and looked at their generic template spots and some are actually pretty nice and clever. I still don't think i would ever use them, but I can see where a local cable spot production office certainly could.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]