BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

You knew this was coming....

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonYou knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:13:15 pm

Reporters have been responsible for editing their own stories for years now, and a wide range of tools has been created for them - mostly oriented around the idea of editing video as if it was a group of paragraphs.

So here's another variation, wrapped up in a pretty bow, and ready for your iPhone/iTouch. It's actually not a gimmick, or so it seems to me. Adds a nifty little mic, built-in FTP and integration with broadcast newsroom software and infrastructure. Obviously dandy for podcasters, educators, etc., but they're obviously aiming pretty high.

The editing metaphor is a hybrid of the paragraph-oriented stuff you see in products like Avid Interplay, and the sticky, modular approach of SmartSound, which I've always been a fan of.

In any case, take a look at how they've managed touchscreen editing, incorporated auto-orientation, multitouch, and some other nice little tricks. I'd be happy to see some of these features in pro desktop tools...and in Pro Tools!

I'd love to see a demo for the video toolset, but this look at the audio tools is pretty compelling. A compelling 1.0 offering, sez me.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:48:39 pm

Indeed, this is the natural extension of what we've been doing all along.

Radio is MUCH easier, obviously. Right now, when I shoot a TV news event, I still have to drive a tape to an uplink site, maybe twenty minutes, maybe 4 hours away... but some day the cost of the kind of laptop satellite FTP tool AP sells to video reporters will come down enough that I can just find a landline phone line or FTP wirelessly from near the shoot location.

I have been saying for years that microwave vans and uplink trucks are living on borrowed time, at least in the sense of how we use them today. I was working on an exoperiment for this kind of thing earlier in the year, loading my video via firewire into a mac laptop, using QT pro to encode it as h.264 on ingest, and FTP'ing it about 200 miles over a proprietary fiber network to our uplink site, where the file would be loaded into Final Cut and converted to a timeline item we could play out to air for uplink to news services. The technical issues were actually relatively minor; the paperwork and topology of the private network turned out to be the hardest thing about it.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:38:52 pm

nowadays, stringers have fcp in their cars and can deliver finished pieces within the hour. I think it'd be fun work. The stations here in STL adhere to union wages though so most freelancers can't really justify scanning.

Return to posts index

Nicholas BierzonskiRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:42:44 pm

The world is changing rapidly. We've seen this on the news. We're getting less retroactive reporting and more instant cell phone footage of events reported in the news.

Examples, The teen beating in Chicago. The hazing at college campuses

It's only a matter of time before a Video version is available for your cell phone. Then "Reporter/Citizens" on location can fire it up on You Tube.

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:32:43 pm

Looks quite useful for many applications.

For example, recording and editing audio using Windows or Mac computers is a challenge for non-technically oriented people. Many of my clients who are doctors have an iPhone yet they struggle with doing audio recording on their computers. This could be a perfect solution.

It's like QT Pro and the computer from Minority Report had a love child.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:40:28 pm

Nice tool, nice interface. A few months back I alerted the FCP group that the built-in Voice Recorder app on the iPhone made a dandy recorder for scratch track V.O. Poddio takes that several steps farther.

I wonder if the $20 mic they offer is the best one available for the job, or if there is anything better? I'll research that, but if anyone else knows anything please do chime in.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:35:02 am

It's going to be interesting to see how the aftermarket accessory ecosystem evolves. I doubt that it will be as extensive as the add-ons for optimizing DSLRs for video, but it will surely be bigger than it is.

Note that while the demo clip is for the audio feature set only, there is indeed a video app. I'm curious enough that I dropped a line to one of my peeps, who I just found out is a VP there. Small world and all that. I met him in England, when he was based in Norway I think, and before that, Australia with a detour through Asia. He's in Canada now. So there you go....

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: You knew this was coming....
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 9:23:48 am

I just ordered the voice activated FCP-HD app for my Blackberry.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved