BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Advice for Fixing Filemaker?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Advice for Fixing Filemaker?
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:20:16 am

We do our client contracts and keep our associate database on Filemaker. Works well, we've used it for years. It just got buggy. We're pretty convinced that it's infected. It keeps acting up each time in a different way.

I think we have to call our IT guy, have him dump Filemaker, reinstall it then reload all of our info that we have backed up offsite. I wouldn't trust myself to do it, I'd be concerned I'd make it worse.

Before I call him and go broke paying him $100/hr, does anyone have any suggestions that would cost me less? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Advice for Fixing Filemaker?
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:34:36 am

One quick way to help resolve MANY Filemaker issues is to create an EMPTY CLONE file save of your database.

Then, make sure that the database that is acting all wonkie (the technical term for database corruption), is open to all records showing. Close it in that state.

Open the new clone copy that is empty, and import the old file into the new Filemaker clone.

Tada, many of FM's deepest seated psychological issues are resolved in this manner. (I have been using Filemaker since it was first introduced as Filemaker 1.0 by Nashoba and was licensed to the Forethought people who also developed and sold PowerPoint to Microsoft. Nashoba wouldn't let them sell Filemaker. In fact, I still have my 1.0 packaging and discs around here just because I refuse to give them up. It's a nerd thing.)

Trust me on this, it is a great way to solve MANY recurring (though it is rare for Filemaker to get these kinds of errors) issues that may affect both Filemaker and your nerves.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:52:37 am

Thanks Ron, I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:06:46 am

Beat me to it. Exactly the solution. You'll get 'her going.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:02:45 pm

Ron, Can you tell me how I go about doing what you've described? We have Filemaker Pro 8.5 on a server here in the office with about five computers working from it.

How does one go about creating "an empty clone file save"? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:59:16 pm

Under your "Save As..." option in the FILE menu, you should be able to "Save As A Clone."

Here's how...

When you go to the "Save As..." menu choice the dialog will open and where you see the arrow pointing, change that drop down dialog to read as you see in the following image...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:03:05 pm

PS: While my save dialog shows FM5, I am on FM7 and I think it still uses the appendage because it's pulling from the file that I originally created long ago in FM5. I don't use FM8x yet and so yours may be a little different.

Ron

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:09:46 pm

Hi Ron, This is my last try at this, then I'll have my IT guy come in. I appreciate you trying to help. I can't find a window like the one you've displayed. When I go to the File pulldown, there is no Save As option.

Remember, I've got this on a server. Even when I bring up Filemaker there, there's no Save As option.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]