BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Time to change my email?...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franklin McMahon
Time to change my email?...
on Nov 30, 2009 at 5:26:51 pm

I know Ron went through this, now I am deciding. My email has been on the web forever and I get thousands of spam messages each month. My mail program snags a lot but every time I check my mail I feel like a gold digger..fishing for a nugget of real info in a sea of sand.

I thought about taking my email, putting an automated reply on it that "my email has changed" with a link to a contact form on my website ("please use this form to get my new email"). Like many of you, my email is my business, so it'll be inconvenient for some. But man..its just getting to be too much.

Has anyone done this? Changed a long-standing email? Any thoughts..techniques..ideas? Or just keep it the same and suck it up!

Thanks

Frank

Creative Cow Podcast Page
Creative Cow Podcast in iTunes

Media Artist Secrets Blog / Franklin McMahon TV Show: FranklinMcMahon.com
Studio Page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Time to change my email?...
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:25:25 pm

We went through this a few years ago. We all started off with firstname@domain.com back in the mid-90's. In the early 00's we adopted the first_initial_lastname@domain.net. I was the last person to kill the old email address because of the perception of legacy contacts. However after a year of having all old email forward to the new email, it was clear that most of the forwards were spam. Once we shut down the old email permanently, our inboxes became much more manageable.

Today, the majority of SPAM we get are those phishing emails telling you to update your facebook or bank account information. The telltale sign of a fake email is one that is signed, "The Facebook Team" or "The Bank of America Team."

Our email server flags suspected email to be deleted upon download into our local email software. Plus you can setup filters locally.

As for "change of address" messages. Best thing to do is send a change of address message to people you know, then just start emailing people you know with your new email address. Once someone replies to your new address, their own address books will be updated (but they will need to manually delete your old address).

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:34:08 pm

Another point I would add to Mike Cohen's advice, is that keep the old address coming but send it all to a folder that you rarely check. Every once in a while, go through the folder and eyeball it to see if anyone is writing you that you may have missed informing of the change of address. Empty and season to taste.

The sad tale is that some of us are not in a situation where we can change our email addresses. I tried but I gave up as far too many of our customers just did not want to update and kept writing me at my old address. So here I am, all these years later hiding behind a wall of rules, filters and exceptions that allows me to function -- just enough to be practical.

;)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:25:56 pm

Sucjk it up but add "capcha" to your setup, you know, where you have to ercognize a random set of hard to read numbers and letters in an image and type them ina nox, to prove you're not a'bot.

Though now there are places in very poor nations where people sit in a one-bulb mud hut with a wifi link and a laptop, doing nothing all day but manually by-passing captcha to allow a bot to get past it. Ah, the wonders of the internet economy... such a sceanrio just a decade ago would have been the premise of a science fiction short story.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Nov 30, 2009 at 6:27:34 pm

I'd recommend just getting a good spam filter. My various email addresses have been on the web for years, and I funnel them all into a single Gmail account. Out of the ~8,500 spam messages I get a week, occasionally one or two will get through.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:51:52 pm

You might want to try adding Spam Assassin to your email server. You might already have it, and just need to turn it on & configure it.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:01:08 pm

I'll tell all of you something that most of you will probably laugh at. I'm still using AOL. Why? Aside from the obvious reason that it's too much trouble to change after all these years, I find that it simply (emphasis on simply) works. Until a couple of years ago I had a "real job" in addition to my independent video/photography work and there we had a so-called "professional" e-mail system. Even after the complex and time-consuming setup to try to train it to weed out spam, I always had to wade through tons of it. To make matters worse, the junk mail filter made it difficult for unknown but legitimate folks to get their e-mails through, so that too often I would get a call from someone wondering why I hadn't responded, so that I then had to wade through my junk mail file to find their e-mail. Between AOL and the very excellent tools by Norton, phishing and other malware e-mails are either caught by Norton or easily eliminated forever by AOL by me simply checking a box next to the obvious spam and clicking the SPAM button and voila, it's gone forever. A guy I was working a job with recently was aghast when he saw I was still on AOL, commenting that "it's so '80's." Yeah well, it's simple and it works.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:41:01 pm

[Ryan Mast] "I'd recommend just getting a good spam filter. My various email addresses have been on the web for years, and I funnel them all into a single Gmail account. Out of the ~8,500 spam messages I get a week, occasionally one or two will get through."

This is what I've done: forward everything through Gmail. It's Spam filters are really quite good. It's probably not the most elegant solution but it gets the job done.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:11:52 pm

I'll add my voice to those suggesting a spam filter. I use MX Logic (through my mail provider), and it's quite nice. I get a daily email with a list of messages blocked, so I can verify at a glance that there were no false positives.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:34:27 pm

Frank,
We run ours through SpamArrest.com It sends a challenge email to unknown addressees and allows them to authorize their email. I can also view unverified and authorize. Spam can't get around this because they use other people's email addresses and therefore never see the challenge response. I can also add an entire domain. So when I am doing business with a company and expect mail from various people they won't get the challenge email. I can still look through my unverified mail and pull any real messages out.

They have webmail access or you can use your email program of choice.

To see my challenge - ed at jumpcutpictures.com

I'm sure this is just one of many options.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:18:27 pm

All great advice.

I am VERY curious about spam arrest though. I looked into it years ago and research showed that it was not the best (like the company was actually doing spamming itself, there were better business bureau reports, etc.)

It was unfortunate because it sounded like exactly what I wanted, and fairly foolproof. Is the company better now? Anyone using it?

Like Ron said...it may be a lost cause to change my email...its been around so long people will still keep using the old one I am sure :(

Frank

Studio Page

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:32:43 pm

As others here have suggested, Franklin, using Google as a place through which you forward all emails, is an option. It is one that Abraham uses and he loves it.

Me, I tried it for a little while and gave up on it as I didn't want private things sitting on some Google server for the next 30 years.

Ron LIndeboom

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:49:47 am

Ron, good point about Google taking possession of private information. The fact that if you have "car" in a message you get an advertisement about cars means Google is storing your email contents somewhere besides your inbox. Maybe. In other words, do you want Google or any other provider storing the paper trail of your business?
There is a paid, ad-free business email service from Google, but who knows what is stored beyond your control?

In my business, I certainly don't want a 3rd party having access to proprietary information to my clients, thank you. These communications will stay within my control.

Mike

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:21:39 am

Good point Ron. I always use my own server/domain for email. I only used gmail once, and it didn't end well.

Several years ago I did a podcast called Rumor Girls, it was very popular and we had opened up an email rumorgirls@gmail.com for the show, like most shows. At some point our email got hacked into, we could no longer access it. We wrote to google and they confirmed the account had been hacked. They shut down the account "for our protection" and had "no further information". We had all our show emails, fan info, email list, everything...poof. Gone.

Of course it was in "beta" then (did it ever leave beta?) and this was like around early 2008 (not too long ago actually) but the lesson was if it's free, you don't have much rights. Since then I have encouraged everyone to avoid gmail for professional use at all costs, even thought most people have their whole life in their google account.

Now maybe these days it's a different story. But yeah..I am not a big fan of gmail...not even as an email dumpster ;)

Frank

Studio Page

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:42:02 am

My crew signed us on to a business G-mail account a year ago and it's not been a problem. Yeah, they got all of our stuff somewhere and it could get out but we had a real mess before and this took care of a lot of problems.

I clear my spam once a day and I just dumped 145 messages a few minutes ago.

I keep several different addresses and use certain addresses for certain things. Some, I only check once a week and others come straight to my Blackberry which will soon be replaced by a Motorola Droid. My wife got one and now I have phone envy. It is blazingly fast. The mail function, maps and internet are faster than my desktop.

We were talking tonight about how Google might actually be the government and they just got around to 1984. Has anyone ever seen an actual person who represents Google? What could G-O-O-G-L-E stand for in gov't alphabet soup language.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:54:42 pm

[Steve Wargo] "Has anyone ever seen an actual person who represents Google?"

Actually, there are many people working at Google here in the Cow. Several of them publicly identify themselves, so they're not that hard to find.

It turns out that Google does a TON of in-house video production. We've been linking to some of it in recent threads. They also do a huge number of live events, almost all of which incorporate video in one way or another.

In other words, they come to the Cow for the same reason the rest of you do.

Minus the lamentations about how quickly the market is changing.

:-)

[Steve Wargo] "...Google might actually be the government and they just got around to 1984."

There's a difference. Government wants to watch everyone for social management purposes. Google wants to watch you to feed you precisely-targeted text ads. I'll let you decide which is more sinister.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:37:28 pm

Since we're talking about mail, I'll put in another plug for Gmail. I've had an account for years, and stopped using it because of the overwhelming amount of spam hitting my inbox - I had never seen anything like it. Well, now, they're the BEST at it I've encountered. Ditto on false filtering - I can't remember the last time it happened.

One of the former dealbreakers for me is that you had a gmail return address - not required anymore. You can use your own domain in one of two ways. If you want a simple bounce - goes from your domain to Google's - they still do a "sent by" goog to avoid spam filters - and again, I've never had an email sent this way hit a spam filter, whereas it happened now and again with my straight domain sends.

In the past few months, they've added a reverse bounce feature - use Google as your email client, but use your own server. That is, your gmail won't touch Google's outbound mail server at all - it will use the web interface to send to, and through, YOUR email server. Unless they open the header, nobody will ever know that Google is involved.

There are a ton of other advantages that fall into the "how did I ever live without this" category for me, especially once you start adding some of the goodies from the Google Labs, accessible in the upper right corner of the page.

Which is to say, yes, Gmail is out of beta, and feels like it. The Google labs stuff is all in beta, but adds immensely to my overall productivity - and enjoyment - of Gmail, with no issues so far.

Highly recommended.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:47:43 am

I signed on for the Postini service from Google via my hosting company. Since I did that, almost 100% of all SPAM now gets stopped before it even gets to my mailbox.

For personal email, I have three GMail accounts mainly for family and for registering for various websites and services, like the Creative Cow. I have one mailbox specifically set up on GMail just to receive all the threads and responses from the various forums I host.

I wouldn't change the email address if it's your business one. Just use some better spam filtering.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]