BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Flu Season

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CohenFlu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 1:31:24 am

It's that time again for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere - cold and flu season, to say nothing about H1N1.

What are you doing as individuals and businesses to keep yourselves healthy?

Is anyone planning for contingencies if multiple employees get ill at once?

As for me, I got the standard Flu shot, drink a lot of water, take Vitamin C (those chewable tablets are yummy but too much Vitamin C can cause kidney stones so be careful) and drink herbal teas with honey before I get sick or when I am about to get sick (I have an unusual ability to know a few days in advance before I get a serious cold). Also try to get some exercise even if it is chilly out - fresh air is good for you.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:34:36 am

any maybe some sleep, water, lots of fruit.

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:09:43 am

Lots of hand washing, that's about all. Get enough sleep so you don't run down. Eat more fruit, any way you can get it, excess vitamins in pills don't do you any good, anything close to a balanced diet already gives you what you need, the body just flushes out what extra it can't absorb, the proof is in your wallet and the bathroom when you go. I take pains not to touch my eyes or mouth with my hands until I wash them, most especially whenever doing anything related to public spaces with high contact probability like the grocery store or kid's school event stuff.

But honestly, I have always had an immune system like something out of the Borg from Star Trek: colds or flu that seriously down family or friends for weeks, barely register on me in the first place, and I'm over them in 24 hours, generally. My family hates that: they all infect each other over a week's time, and there I sit, unfazed, or if I get it, it's a mild sniffle for a day, (once just a half-day, that REALLY pissed off the wife after hers took a week) and done. So I'm probably zombie-proof, I reckon. The worst flu I had lasted 72 hours and I treated that with a hot bowl of cream of mushroom soup and a nap... I think the massive amount of sodium in it disrupts the cell walls of the virus or something... I actually thrive in cold weather, like a big bear. My protective blubber layer shrugs off the chill. I wear short sleeves and eat ice cream outside in January. Its nice, because you can take your time with it then. Namby-pambys at the office complain about weather in the 30's, pha. "I'm from Chicago, and this is tanning weather, back home." Its excess humidity that's my Kryptonite, neither hot nor cold affect me otherwise.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:24:21 pm

My boss pays for everyone to get flu shots. We're probably the healthiest company around. Ounce of prevention is a heck of lot cheaper than a pound of cure.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:49:05 pm

My family just got over N1H1. Was no fun. I skipped it but this old cowboy just doesn't have time to get sick. I wash my hands a lot, take no vitamins and eat horribly. ;)
One thing you can do is skip the shots. I see many go wait in line to be injected with the flu then act surprised when they feel bad.
I have no use for doctors.

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:02:05 pm

I get the powerful sneezes & sniffles once in a while... most of the time it doesn't amount to anything serious, but it clouds my mind and pretty much kills my day.

That's why I've started carrying 2 kinds of Vitamin C's in my messenger bag - one's a lozenge-like candy and another dissolves in water [makes for yummy orange-flavored drink]. When I feel tingly, I go for them. Usually helps.

It's been pretty wet and rainy over here, so I also see it as my personal/professional responsibility to not get caught in the rain. Always pack an umbrella, that's what I do.

FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.2 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

moody glasgowRe: Flu Season
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 6:04:45 pm

Me and my family are just starting to get over the H1N1.

I'm the type that normally dont get sick, but the H1N1 knocked me on my @ss. Our contingency plan at work is this: I go to work anyways and do as much work as I can before I get too tired and go home.

I've never had a flu shot in my life, and that has worked for me until this year....

moody glasgow

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.Re: Flu Season
by on Nov 21, 2009 at 3:56:57 pm

My wife/Senior Producer is also a doctor. Talk about free medical to all employees.

Emre Tufekci

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved