BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Freelance Rates Australia

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan FlynnFreelance Rates Australia
by on Nov 7, 2009 at 4:04:55 am

I am a freelance video editor/ camerman/ content creator/ motion graphics editor. Basically I have my own camera (a Canon xm2), final cut pro and photoshop and do every part of the video myself from start to finish. I have been working for over three years in Ireland making videos, mostly for the web. I don't have any broadcast experience and do a lot of corporate work. At home I charge 300euro for a half days camera/director work and 500euro for a full day. I charge 300euro for a days editing work, whether that involves making motion graphics or not. These are the top rates that I charge and then I negotiate them down depending on the specifics of the job.

My question is this: I've recently moved to Sydney and I want to know what to charge here to remain competitive. I know it's a sliding scale and different experience and skill can charge different amounts but I'm not really interested in a philosophical discussion, more hoping someone might help me translate my Irish rates into Australian rates. If I convert the monetary values I think the rates that I come out with are much to high so I'm going for less than that.

I'd really appreciate any practical help that anyone with experience of doing this type of work in Australia could give me.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Freelance Rates Australia
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 12:48:03 am

THere are plenty of Sydney based user groups and boards that would probably be a better place to
ask this question. Google it.

Return to posts index

Evan FlynnRe: Freelance Rates Australia
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:36:15 am

Thanks for that Mark. Obviously I did google it before I posted on the forum but to no avail because most people don't advertise their rates that freely. Also if you know of any Australian film maker forums I'd be happy to post my question there, I don't know of any myself, which is why I posted in Creative Cow cause I know some aussies use it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved