BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Show Proposal

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Wilson
Show Proposal
on Oct 28, 2009 at 11:33:13 am

I have the surprising opportunity to move forward on a show proposal with a major cable network. Idea is solid. Research is solid. I am in partnership with an established production company.I am now working on the proposal. The proposal is a bit of uncharted territory and I am looking for a bit of guidance.

http://www.wailerwoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Show Proposal
on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:03:13 pm

Can't the "established production company" help with that? If they are established enough, they should have people that know what to do.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Wilson
on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:49:57 pm

They are, and they can. I am simply looking to get a wide range of thought on this one and determined that this is a good place to seek out a little guidance.

I am presenting them a more detailed proposal then my initial pitch. My goal is to continue to hit the mark with them as we move forward.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:08:03 pm

AH...ok. Good. I was worried there.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Wilson
on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:21:09 pm

Shane,

My background is in live sports and other sports related programming. This is a new venture and am only looking to arm myself as best as I can. The Cow is full of talented and creative people who have a much broader base of knowledge then I. Just tapping in.

Cheers,

JW

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 28, 2009 at 11:07:36 pm

John,

You need a very compelling "two-pager" that indicates that you know precisely where the drama in your story lies and that you know precisely how to convey it to your audience. Don't simply rehash the story, instead relay the meaning and the drama behind the story.

For example, we all know that George Washington crossed the Delaware. What most of us don't know is precisely what he hoped to gain if he was successful and precisely what he feared he if he should fail. Life and death is the stuff drama is made of, so convey that to your readers in your two-pager and you'll have a winner.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

John Wilson
on Oct 28, 2009 at 11:19:18 pm

Thanks David. That is what I am working on. The proposals are for two different styles of shows, one in the reality vein and the other a host and location driven travel show.

Ironically, at a family reunion in Minnesota this past summer I discovered that I have a distant relative who camped with Washington before he crossed the Delaware. He was not invited to make the trip across but we hear he did a nice job of helping to clean up their campsite.

Thanks again,

JW

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Oct 29, 2009 at 12:09:37 am

Are you asking advice on a one-sheet?
bible?
sizzle reel?
or are you asking for in roads to pitch?
Not sure what you are lookin' for.

Return to posts index

John Wilson
on Oct 29, 2009 at 1:32:38 am

Grinner,

We're only at the point for a one sheet or serious pitch. Not quite sure what you mean by "in roads to pitch". What I'm getting from here and a few other people who have been down this road is I need to sell the stories and the characters.

We're not quite to the bible point and we're good with the sizzle. I am simply looking to get feedback on a more detailed pitch, or proposal.

Elevator speech, right?

Thanks for taking the time...

JW

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:08:24 am

Are you registered for a pitch conference like NATPE or the LATVfestival? If not, take that step. Not only will you get garanteed pitches, you'll go through seminar after seminar that are included in the package and it's much like a boot camp for new pitchers. You will learn a lot, man. Veeery worth doing.
Take your one-sheet and sizzle reel. I'd start working on that bible, should you get a nibble.

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:49:04 pm

I would suggest personalizing it as much as you can based around the client. I've seen this dramatically increase approvals. Things like putting the clients logo on the sheet, writing so the client is not reading about your pitch but reading about their future show, forming the text as if the show is already happening. I find the more you sprinkle in these items the better. I just redid a bunch of my templates and proposals and scaled down the clinical talk and ramped up the personal. I even have sections which are me talking such as:

--
..the project will be completed in two weeks. Approval begins at the end of the month.

Franklin: I feel that this new show has huge potential to extend your brand. Because your demographic skews younger, we are really looking forward to creating a package for you with a fresh new look. I have no doubt that...
--

Stuff like that. Adding in personal stuff to make it less template-y. It may seem less professional but really you are just working to connect personally one on one with a decision maker. You want them to "really like your ideas and how you feel" as opposed to "I got the details and like the project outline".

People hire you more often because they like you as opposed to talent. So it may be worth it to infuse more personality into printed materials.

Frank

Creative Cow Podcast Page
Creative Cow Podcast in iTunes

Media Artist Secrets Blog / Franklin McMahon TV Show: FranklinMcMahon.com
Studio Page

Return to posts index

John Wilson
on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:32:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It all helps to filter and focus and gives me a bunch to think about.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]