BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Career and Location Moves

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen MontgomeryCareer and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:49:38 pm

I had posted this question a couple weeks ago in the "Art of the Edit" forum, but wanted to cross post it after finding this forum. I should have posted it here in the first place.
So the fiance is in the process of getting a company move, to which city is still up in the air. If only my post house had a sister company, but no. For the first time in my life I am about to start a job search from long distance, as if its not hard enough getting a job within 20 miles as an editor. I am slightly at a loss at how to break down some doors when I cannot physically break down some doors without shelling out 300 bucks to do it (which it may come down to eventually). I am confident in using internet tools to do research and narrow in on the places I would like to work, but it is the next step after that which I have not figured out. I was hoping some of you could share experiences in moving for family and career, whether it be with or without a job waiting for you on the other side. Thanks so much in advance, the advice found here on the COW is always golden.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:27:38 pm

The hard part aint landin' a gig... the hard part is ironing out a house and a move on Friday and being in and ready to work by MOnday. lol
As mentioned on the Art of the Edit forum, let the local companies know you are relocating. Should they need any help at all, it's appealing to them to not have to relocate you at that point. From production guid directories to yellow pages dot com in that area, you have many places to call. Cold-calling means many dead ends so do it earlt in the morning, lay off of it by noon and stay chipper the entire time. MOndays are the best day for this because that's when they feel overwhelmed with workflow. Later in the week they are just tired of sales calls, primed to bark no thank you and ready for the weekend. Hit the known job sites and search that particular market.
Also, don't forget that location has very little to do with what we do these days. Bandwidth is aplenty. It's just a matter of making the places you wanna work with comfy with your working unsupervised.
Lasty... never call your bride to be "the fiance". Sweet cheeks, cumquat, and sugar boogar are better than "the". Call her angel for now. She'll be paying your bills for the next three months.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:52:01 pm

Rumpole called her: "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

Return to posts index

Glen MontgomeryRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:07:51 pm

Oh Grinner,
You killed it on the future wife call out. I am torn because I want to show it to her because it made me laugh out loud, but if I do I know she will print it out and hang it on the bathroom mirror so i can see it each morning. Again, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. Much appreciation.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:27:08 pm

thanks for having a good sense of humor, brother.
When's the move? Hop on the horn today. Even if you have a few 'call me whan you get into town"s, you'll be making your fiance feel better.
Fret not. Again, I moved my family to five states in as many years. It requires far more guts than knowledge. lol

Return to posts index

Glen MontgomeryRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:20:34 pm

Grinner, you are the man.
We have a a month or two, so luckily a good amount of time to make a long distance impression before storming the gates. I am trying to make a vertical move as well career-wise, either in quality or responsibility, so I am putting extra time into the research phase to focus the hunt. Your comments echo so much of what I have heard from editorial podcasts and interviews, that just as important as talent is fierce tenacity. I know i'm gonna hear "no" plenty of times, I just can't let that be the last word. Also, I had to share your comments with the "shoe shopping-czar" and thought you would like her response, especially the call to action.

That is one of the funniest things I have even seen and such good advice. With the time change it is still morning in Denver, did you take his advice and make any calls.

Guess it a great opportunity to use the lunch break to get on the cell.

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Career and Location Moves
by on Oct 29, 2009 at 1:18:43 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Rumpole called her: "She Who Must Be Obeyed"."

Inspired words, from a man who to ski

And quite possibly Mark's shortest post ever. I don't know, I'll have to do some research 'cause this could be big....reeeeal big!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved