BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Does Anyone Here Have An Agent?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:12:59 am

I know actors have them... professional photographers have them... do video professionals?

I own a small studio in Utah where I shoot TV spots, edit and do a bunch of 3D and After Effects Animations.

Problem is, there is not as much work here as in other places.

Are there agents in LA and NY who I can hire to get me projects? Any advice for a talented but underworked production studio?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Does Anyone Here Have An Agent?
on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:41:53 pm

I knew a friend who had a rep for his editing biz for a while, it didn't work out as cost effective as doing it himself. But lots of directors and editors in the glossy magazines seem to have them.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:29:14 pm

I believe that an "agent" is the appropriate term for someone who would represent you in attracting and negotiating a job, or at the least a long-term project. You are probably thinking more along the lines of a "sales rep," someone who brings in lots of smaller projects like TV spots. The good ones function as a producer and the not so good ones like a salesperson who just hands over the client and collects a commission.

Over the years there have been many discussions here on the merits (and mostly) faults of various sales rep relationships. I suggest you go back through the archived years and search "sales rep" and related terms. That is unless some of our regular participants would like to again share some of their horror stories. (C'mon guys, it's almost Halloween -- tell us some scary stories.)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:03:45 pm

[joseph wilkins] "Problem is, there is not as much work here as in other places.

Are there agents in LA and NY who I can hire to get me projects? Any advice for a talented but underworked production studio? "

Joseph,

You have identified the number one hurdle to getting an agent, which is, if you need an agent to find work for you, then you don't qualify. Agents are a bit like parasites, in that they make their living off of a successful and healthy host. So, there's a "catch-22," as far as agents are concerned, because you need one to help you to flourish, but unless they see you as someone with a flourishing and sustainable career, they don't want any part of you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:19:12 pm

My classmate from college was our sports anchor. When he graduated he wanted to get that elusive on-air job at ESPN. So he hired an agent, and for 10 years he waited and paid royalties on freelance work. In the meantime he got entry level reporting jobs, eventually being a sports anchor in a small town network affiliate, got some work on his reel, and then got some freelance weekend work in Albany and Providence. Now he's made a name for himself within New England. Then he parlayed his affinity for boxing commentary into a column in a boxing magazine and did some NESN work. Now he's actually managing a boxer and is involved with the celebrity boxing circuit (Jose Canseco vs Sugar Ray Leonard Jr. - life doesn't get more exciting than that kids)

In other words, he got his name out there, got his work out there, and realized an agent pretty much makes money for not getting you your dream job, assuming that elusive ESPN anchoring job remains elusive. That's my only knowledge of agents, but an interesting story.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:27:59 pm

Not since I was an actor.

Ari Gold isn't stretching the stereotype of many of them too much. Of some, none at all.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 24, 2009 at 10:10:47 pm

Hi Joseph,
you can get an agent easily, and many of the companies that are active on Creative Cow, and that get work "in the glossy magazines" have them to - it called a SALES REP. How do you get one - YOU HIRE ONE. There isn't a single advertiser on Creative Cow that doesn't have someone hawking their product, day in and day out, month after month, year after year, selling their product. Ad agencies have sales reps (called account reps), and so do production companies, post houses, graphics faciltites, etc.

You may say "but I can't afford to hire a sales rep, I just need someone to give me some work" - well, get a job, or start pounding the pavement, and SOLICIT ON A DAILY BASIS, like the rest of us do who maintain and run small companies.

There are plenty of companies in Utah that are very active, and successful - so don't blame it on not being in NY or LA. You would starve in LA or NY too if you didn't get yourself out there.

In Utah, I can think of -
http://kaleidoscopeme.com/
http://www.8fish.com/
http://www.creativemediagroup.com/

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:46:18 am

Now is a very bad time to get an agent. There isn't a whole lot of work out there, and even people with really great track records are scrambling. An agent won't be able to do anything for you right now.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer, Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:52:45 pm

Hmm.. I would imagine a sales rep or agent for video professionals would be someone who is very well connected. If he decides to represent you because he has some people that he could sell your work to (graphics, editorial etc) great.. who cares if he takes a percentage, he got you the work!

Unfortunately the best reps work for successful companies that give them good salaries and commission.

Although there must be some freelance agents/rep's out there looking for talent to sell?

For example, Picasso Pictures (Great Britain) represents Laundry mat for the GB market. (mograph house) and a ton of other smaller directorial duos and graphic houses.

Maybe you would be looking for a similar situation? I'm not sure how that business relationship works but wold be interested to find out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]