BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Cost Breakdowns

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher HillCost Breakdowns
by on Oct 3, 2009 at 5:54:41 pm

I'm very new to the world of Freelance, and fairly new in general to a lot of post-production elements (read: Novice) except for Editing (which I'm fairly well versed in). I was curious if there is a resource out in cyberspace or if you fellow COW's have any advice on determining what to charge for various tasks. I realize that there's no real set-standard, but a place to start would help.

Should one charge by the hour? Should I set a specific price for different tasks? Does one estimate how many hours the overall job would take and charge a fee based around that?

Specifically, I'm curious about prices for Editing footage (I haven't done freelance, I'm currently an in-house editor for a production company), Rotoscoping, Keying/Greenscreen, Footage cleanup and Line-Removal.

Again, any help or constructive responses will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Christopher HillRe: Cost Breakdowns
by on Oct 3, 2009 at 5:58:12 pm

Embarrassingly, I just realized I may have asked this in the wrong forum... if I did, my apologies. If that's the case, could you redirect me to the proper forum? Thanks

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Cost Breakdowns
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:35:02 pm

If I were you I`d spend most of a day at my worktable planning charges type for type. In some types you`ll charge by the hour, on others you`ll charge by the half- day, others you`ll charge by the project. Project and very- custom charges are the hardest to plan because you don`t know how far the over- runs will be. Price somewhat high and give the customer breaks (sooner or) later. In rendering, you`re about to find out how slow your computers are. I don`t dare make up standard charges from a different? area of the country. Try to do whole productions in general instead of just editing in order to maximize profits as well as have the high profit work next to low profit work until you know the difference. Don`t take on oversized duplicating projects. Good Luck. F J

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved