BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Emailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welksEmailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 7:47:22 pm

I would like to start a newsletter for a college that will be emailed to around 5,500 teachers/administrators around 5 times a year (not spam, I work there).

1. Can anyone recommend a service? I started looking into MailChimp and myemma.

2. Is there anyway I should even consider doing something like this internally without using an outside service?

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Emailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:24:37 pm

I think you will find this article helpful.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Emailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33:51 pm

One of the pro services for this is called constant contact. But they don't do anything you couldn't do yourself, if you want to spend the time and energy.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Emailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 9:17:10 pm

We use Constant Contact on a weekly basis. The best part about this service and others like it is the tracking of opens and clicks. Since we are selling products and services, we can directly see what the most effective links are, if the link has converted to a sale, phone call or other inquiry, and then we can take the list of people who opened an email and / or who clicked a link and create a more targeted list for more specific messages.

Plus you get automatic list management - when someone opts-out they are automatically removed from the list.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Emailing a Newsletter to Around 5,500 People
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:26:56 pm

We use They don't have great templates but they have GREAT customer service. They also have an online layout program so you can build and layout your newsletter on their site, they're incredibly affordable, and they offer the standard tracking that other services offer.

Our webhost also has a built in E-newsletter service that allows you to build and distribute e-newsletters all from within our website's FTP. It's also very capable and free, but we'd already bought a year worth of MyNewsLetterBuilder so we stuck with it.

We've also demo'd Mailchimp but found their online layout engine very buggy. Text and graphics won't stay where you put them (things won't stay centered and when we demo'd a year or so ago, the code it generated wasn't as clean as MyNewsLetterBuilder).

I also demo'd Constant Contact and a couple others, and while's site doesn't initially appear as slick as the others, their customer service blew away the others. You can chat immediately with support people via instant message and whenver I've called I've gotten a live person almost immediately every time.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved