BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Post Production Consultant?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan JohnPost Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:34:13 pm

Being the creative resource the Cow is, I couldn't help but want to throw this out there to you guys and gals.

I am in the process of revamping my website, and in essence rebranding myself. Considering I freelance as both an editor and post production coordinator, my web designer floated the idea of calling myself a "Post Production Consultant", which would be used in the header of the website.

Additionally there will be a bio page explaining my background and my goals/work ethic.

So two questions:

1) Does Post Production Consultant work? Or does it sound too gimmicky? Do you have any other suggestions I should use in the header that reflects what my services are and is not as long winded as "editor and post-prod coordinator"?

2) In a short bio page, what would you address? The basic theme of mine is I'm genial and laid back but dedicated to a quality product. I am also going to address what I have worked on, skills, etc. and have it polished by a copy writer. So anything else I should add?

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

- Evan

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Post Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:40:22 pm

I would ask, what type of work do you do most (and what's most profitable)? Or what area of your business do you most wish to grow?

The only real problem that I have with "post production consultant" is that it doesn't sound very hands-on... which of course editing is very much hands-on. "Post production consultant" sounds a bit more like a guy who shows up in a suit and wants to "take a meeting" to discuss how to better help your production... rather than someone who gets in there and gets his hands dirty.

Maybe that's just me... there are far wiser brains in this forum that will probably chime in...

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Evan JohnRe: Post Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:52:47 pm

I agree about the suit and tie bit. It looks like the header will stick to something like "Post-Production / Editor" and explain in the bio that I do coordinating as well.

- Evan

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Post Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:42:53 pm

It would drasticly limit the work you otherwise would have gotten as an editor. Beef up your boi all ya can and don't be afrraid to add an consulting jobs to it or your resume but know that it would limit you if you made that your title.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Post Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:40:20 pm

I agree that a "consultant" is a person who "consults." Rather than trying to make yourself appear more useful or impressive with a fancy title, just put your best foot forward and show your best work and/or skills available for hire.

If you need something for your website header besides just your name, come up with a clever or memorable DBA name and use that.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Post Production Consultant?
by on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:47:52 pm

I'm with the consensus on this one. Consultant sounds too passive and removed. How about something very active like "Post Production Editor / Process Improvement Gorilla." Only half kidding with the Gorilla part -- you need something which implies action.

As to: [Evan John] "explaining my background and my goals/work ethic."

Explaining your background is one thing but goals gives your prospects a chance to come up with the idea that your goals don't match up with their planned future plans. And you REALLY don't want to be the one who is promoting your "work ethic." That sort of thing is best done with testimonials from past clients. Has a LOT more credibility that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved