BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

video to accompany touring art exhibit

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fetchovideo to accompany touring art exhibit
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:14:14 pm

I've been working on a doc about a now-deceased and quite famous artist, and have secured all rights to materials used in the film. I've been approached by a curator who is organizing a touring retrospective exhibition of this artist's work. They would like to screen a "gallery cut" of the film in conjunction with the exhibition as it tours to various museums, etc. It won't be very difficult to cut something they can use, since I've screened several short cuts of the film as previews already. My questions: are there any guidelines available for licensing a screening of this sort? Should each venue pay a separate licensing fee? Or should I negotiate a blanket fee with the presenter? What are some standard amounts that exhibitors pay for artist profile videos used in conjunction with shows? Has anyone here ever done anything similar, and can you offer some advice?

Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: video to accompany touring art exhibit
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:00:45 pm

A flat price is how you'll sell it in. Of course there is nor norm for price point on this as artists' popularities vary... and that is always more when they move on to the next life. I can tell you to get it at the time of the deal. The powers that be are not always scammers but they are always dreamers. They may talk big but don't get sucke dinto their dream. Get what you need and hand it over. It will do ya good to look at these artists like ya would a local band. No money... big talk. Aint bashin', just stating what I know. I'm an artist too. and I dream big too. I just don't do that when talking money with someone doing business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved