BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne MarxStandard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:11:48 am

Hi there,

For the last few years I've been editing documentaries outside of the US, and for independent clients and my rates have varied.

I'm quoting on an editing gig for a US client that is prepared to pay 'industry standards' for a 60 Minute TV special/documentary.

I imagine being on the show for at least 6 months.

Now,I know there's no such thing as an industry standard, but can anyone give me any guidelines as to the average range.
Is it closer to $1250 a week, or $2500 p/w?
Or $6000 p/m, or whatever?

They want to work with me because they've seen my work and know it's solid, and will be prepared to pay a little more for it - but not an exporbitant amount.

Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks,

Wayne

MBP 2.4 - 10.5.6 - FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:46:29 pm

One thing that always comes into play is LOCATION. Where are you located? An editor in LA or NY makes more than one in Iowa. Now, that being said, the Union base rate is about $500/day. $2500/week.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:47:10 pm

Yep, $2500 a week is the average big city pay for someone with experience. If you use your own equipment and/or premises, of course, that number should be adjusted accordingly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Wayne MarxRe: Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:45:51 am

Thanks for the prompt replies, gents.

Dave, Shane was speaking about Union rates, would your suggestion of $2500 p/w also apply to non-union folks, too?

Thanks,

Wayne

MBP 2.4 - 10.5.6 - FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

by on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:12:26 pm

The union base is what we use as a standard for non-union work too. Non-union at $2500/week is cheaper than Union at $2500/week. Because in union, I might get $2500, but then the production company has to send another $300-$400 to the Union...weekly. To cover health insurance, pension and stuff like that. This is why people can pay non-union editors a union rate...still cheaper.

Shane

Return to posts index

Wayne MarxRe: Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:52:04 pm

Thanks Gents,

Wayne

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Standard/Average Editing Rates For Documentary
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:06:19 pm

6 months on one show is kind of wack and will prolly get ya booted out on this prop but your normal hourly rate is quite the norm. If offering a weekly discount, you can round down a little, especially if bidding such an obsurd time frame but know that this will take you off the market for that long too so shooting yourself in the foot is quite possible if offering something like 2500 a week.
You mentioned they like your work, want you on the gig and are willing to pay more for it. May as well charge em accordingly.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:11:16 pm

I typically charge more, but often if the gig is long term, I cut deals. If it is shorter, like DAYS, then I charge more. Hourly at that point.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]