BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

New Film Studio- Advice Required

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Whyte
New Film Studio- Advice Required
on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:57:02 pm

Hi,

We're a small film film and media production company based in the UK.
We're about to move into new premises and are trying to decide what equipment to buy. We currently film on SD mainly although we've started doing HDV more and more using Sony Z1's. In terms of cameras we've been using Canon XL1's for a couple of years and they've been great, so if there is an alternative of similar standard for HD/HDV that would be interesting?

Any advice on Cameras, Sound kit, Lighting, Storage etc would be great!

Thanks

Sean
c>media

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: New Film Studio- Advice Required
on Sep 5, 2009 at 10:26:30 pm

Gravitate to what best suits your needs/budget. From a marketing stand point, I'd not call it a film studio unless you really work with film. It'll cost you much more clietele than it'll gain ya by calling it soemthing it isn't.

Return to posts index

Sean Whyte
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:55:31 pm

Thanks for that Grin.
When you say gravitate to what best suits our needs that's what I'd like advice on..
We don't have a massive budget but we can afford to buy some semi-pro/prosumer- standard gear.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 6, 2009 at 7:46:24 pm

Well, it depends on yur needs.
I like Sony's FX-1 and my favorite NLE today is FCP. This is not the perfect set up for all. It depends on budget and again, needs. My feeling is you are probably not ready for the overhead of a commercial location and should probably rent as ya go first. Before that though, It's my humble opinion that you should staff until ready to freelance and freelance until ready to start your own company. Buying stuff before that may just mean unemployement with a depleated nest egg.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 5, 2009 at 11:55:00 pm

[Sean Whyte] "We currently film on SD mainly although we've started doing HDV more and more using Sony Z1's."

How do you film on tape? I've never understood how that's possible.

[Sean Whyte] "Any advice on Cameras, Sound kit, Lighting, Storage etc would be great! "

You're asking for advice on a "new film studio" but it sounds like you're not going to have a studio at all, just a field package. IF that's the case, then just go with the Panasonic AVC-Intra series of cameras up to and including the Varicam.

Not sure what you mean by storage. You mean equipment storage or editing storage?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Sean Whyte
on Sep 6, 2009 at 3:11:58 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your post.
In some ways your right, most of our work will be done out in the field, but we do intend to shoot some podcasts in a small studio we are setting-up.

Camera-wise we really want something aimed at the semi-pro user, along the lines of the Canon XL1's a few years back. We were thinking of the Sony Z1 or the Panasonic but were a bit put off by the cost of the P2 cards.

Regarding storage, apologies should have been clearer, I meant file storage. I've heard a lot about GTech and Drobo - any suggestions?

Also lighting and sound gear. Again whatever is best in the semi-pro range?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 7, 2009 at 12:18:27 pm

[Sean Whyte] "Camera-wise we really want something aimed at the semi-pro user, along the lines of the Canon XL1's a few years back. We were thinking of the Sony Z1 or the Panasonic but were a bit put off by the cost of the P2 cards. "

Even the cheaper P2 cards that just came out? Panasonic blows Sony out of the water in terms of picture quality and color, but if P2 cards are too expensive for you, then go with the cheaper Sony.

[Sean Whyte] "Regarding storage, apologies should have been clearer, I meant file storage. I've heard a lot about GTech and Drobo - any suggestions? "

Don't use either for our day to day work. We run Maxx Digital Evo HD series (32TB) and WiebeTech in our shop. We have some older GTech and LaCie products we use for temporary storage or to ship files to clients.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]