BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

shopping a pre0vis

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
shopping a pre0vis
on Sep 5, 2009 at 3:32:39 am

I was recently hired to produce a pre-vis, (a previsualization); like a trailer, but we shot and edited only enough of the script to make the pre-vis. That was parts of about 20 scenes.

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/HotFlashMovie.mp4

It's a pretty funny script, but these days, we are told no one has the imagination to envision from reading a script. So although my job is done, I feel connected to the project and would like to help the author if I can.

The idea has been to try to sell rights to the screenplay, or get enough local money to make it ourselves. The main script needs a little work, but we can make it work.

Where would you go to shop it?

Wha' da' ya' think?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: shopping a pre0vis
on Sep 5, 2009 at 2:34:41 pm

It seems like more of a handicap than an asset to just have shot a trailer. The first question coming from a catcher when pitching this, should they like it, is "so it's in the can?"
"mmm no."
They'll then wonder what they watched and why. The appealing part of a viewer watching a sizzle reel is knowing there is already a product to market. The handicap involved is it removes their thumbprint from production and limits their distribution market. You would have been far better off either shooting the entire production or printing a nice pitch piece on paper.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 5, 2009 at 6:43:21 pm

grinner,

thanks! it's not a trailer. we have gone to great lengths to make that distinction, but apparently we need more.

If they want to scrap the whole thing and start all over, that's fine. If this makes them want to see the script, then it has achieved its purpose.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 5, 2009 at 7:22:20 pm

Indeed.
There are no templates to this... don't let anyone tell ya otherwise. It's a matter of who you are pitching to. If your teaser can get em wantin' more, you have done your job very well.
...and lined yourself up to handle the whole enchelada. I'm thinkin' that's your motivation in this one.
Best of luck, man. Positive mojo comin' your way.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 6, 2009 at 12:31:14 am

thanks grinner,

the pod bay doors are open. mojo is rising.

ty

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Sep 6, 2009 at 8:30:03 pm

I spoke directly with Ty at length on this earlier today, so I'm just posting some of our discussion here for the record.

Technically I think it's extremely well done. The lighting is good, the jib arm moves, where used, add a lot to the production value and the audio is invisible -- exactly as it should be and the music choices and mix are top notch. (I would expect nothing less from Ty Ford.)

The video is, if anything, too clean. It needs a pass through a good colorist to make it look more filmic and have more of a mood. I've seen what the COW's own Walt Biscardi does, you might want to talk with him.

The acting and directing are solid, although I do think the Exorcist-style scene is a bit -- OK, more than just a bit, overdone. The male lead is pretty much just playing a straight man, but he's doing it well. The female lead is doing a competent job but needs to be less normal, edgier, more out there, more sizzle, more of a wacko, more... more.

What I don't see is that the writing is where it has to be for this piece to fly. The basic premise is approached as if from a distance and as a viewer I don't feel inside of it. Maybe more close-up, facial acting would accomplish some of this, but for me it's not yet coming through. And as a 58 year old MALE, maybe I'm not the intended target audience. But then I'm not the target for Marc Cherry's Desperate Housewives either and whenever I've seen that show I think he nails it.

Now the real issue. Why is a pre-vis of this length and complexity needed? My guess is that it's not for showing it to TV and film industry professionals, but rather to obtain funding from an individual or group who is not familiar with reading a script and really has to have something produced put in front of them. On that level it succeeds quite well. Maybe that kind of investor could fund shooting the whole thing so you're shopping a show that's already in the can. Possibly not the safest investment one could make, but there are people out there who want to be in show business and have money to risk.

I believe that the best place to get this sold is through one of the female-oriented cable channels. But before even going out to pitch, it should have a much punchier script with a good twist or two and maybe a couple of other options for the female lead. Maria Bamford and one or two other of today's new group of just starting to make it stand-ups comes to mind.

Ty reminded me that this is the first project of this nature that he's produced and, on that level I'm blown away. Incredible job for a first time producer, Ty. Now why did you wait so long to get started? We're not getting any younger, bub.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 8, 2009 at 6:14:14 pm

I liked it but would play down the wandering grandma thing. I think it distracts too much from the "A" story, and it is a delicate topic which might turn off investors. I was impressed by how "finished" it already looks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 8, 2009 at 6:55:09 pm

Mark,

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I'll pass it on and thanks for your nice words.

We shot and edited in 1080p with a slight color and gamma bump. Sony EX3 camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]