BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Best option for blog?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JenkinsBest option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:33:24 pm

I probably could have found this info with a search, but for whatever reason, searches aren't working right now. What is the best option for adding a blog to my website? I want something that is hosted alongside my existing site, not some other server. Are there compelling reasons to use commercial blogging software over just creating a new blog/web page on my own? I don't need anything too fancy, mostly text with embedded videos from youtube, vimeo, exposure room, etc... Thanks!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Milton HockmanRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 6:41:01 pm

Since you have your own webserver you can easily integrate a WordPress blog into your existing website. Just go over to Wordpress.com and download the latest version. Its as simple as turning on a MySQL database (from your server) and uploading the files to your site.

Works automatic. If you want to get fancy and start changing the look of the blog you can. My website was customized to look like my existing site. Check it out in my signature if you want.

Owner
Plus More Media Group
Website Design - VA, Corporate Web Site Design - PlusMoreMedia.com
Marketing designs and videos that do more for your business!

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 7:39:05 pm

Hi Milton,

Thanks for the info and the example. Is there an advantage to using the Wordpress software versus just building a blog page with Dreamweaver?

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Milton HockmanRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:12:00 pm

building a blog page in Dreamweaver would require a lot of work. Blogs are made up of multiple pages and coding.

Unless, you were looking just to create a static HTML page and add HTML posts to it? Were you?

If so, I would push you not to do that. Blogs are popular for a reason, especially for marketing your business. Every blog post is a "new" page for your website. If you post 100 posts, that's 100 pages of content added to your site. Search engines love content and now you have 100 more possibilities of getting found in the Search Engine.

Also, real blogs allow people to post comments, track back, share with friends etc.

Adding Wordpress to your website is so easy! If you want, you could always sign up for their website for free and start a blog on "their server." Your link would be, myblogname.wordpress.com though.

If you don't mind that URL then go ahead - but with such a cool site like your's I would keep it internal.

Owner
Plus More Media Group
Website Design - VA, Corporate Web Site Design - PlusMoreMedia.com
Marketing designs and videos that do more for your business!

Return to posts index

Matt SmithRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:25:07 pm

Yes building a Wordpress page will be far easier then anything you could ever do in Dreamweaver. While Dreamweaver is a great program for making static page with html coding a blogging platform is the best thing you could do for your business.

I made a short post a day ago about some great Wordpress templates and reasons why you should install Wordpress. Check it out and as always let me know if you have any questions. I would be more then happy to answer any Wordpress install questions or help you out in any way.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/17/866820

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 10:24:48 pm

As Matt alludes to, I know people that have coded their entire site to operate from a wiki or blog software base.

The advantage is that you are immediately able to update and see these updates, from customers, friends -- and the negative side, you can get updates from nefarious types, too.

If you set the site to where all updates have to be approved and you do the approvals quickly enough, you can maintain the advantages while avoiding the disadvantages.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:50:32 am

Thanks, Ron. I appreciate your input.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:47:52 am

Thanks, Matt. Good information there.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:36:10 pm

Thanks, Milton. I'd forgotten about all the features of a true blog. It sounds like a good idea to use the Wordpress software.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 1:52:53 am

As I posted in another thread. I've tried wordpress and I don't find it to exactly be "easy." I build webpages too so after reading about wordpress I figured I'd be able to just jump right in. But it does require quite a bit of work and learning to set it up. It's not as "automatic" as everyone makes it sound. I spent an entire day working through their online tutorials (which are very good by the way), but I still didn't have things looking and working the way I wanted and I was still confused about many things.

Not to mention if you aren't familiar with database software (as others have mentioned you can implement), then those functions also add to the learning curve. Yes it's not as hard as learning a web design program, but just read the "about" page on the wordpress site and most people will leave scratching their heads at some of the jargon and terminology. Things like XML-RPC interface, Trackback, Pingback, Ping-O-Matic, open proxy checker etc.

The easiest places to build blogs are the ones you build directly from templates on web-based services. My wife has a couple that are very nice looking and she has zero web experience and isn't all that proficient at computers in general. If I sat her down at wordpress and told her "build that same blog" from this, after 20 minutes she'd shoot me.

So I think you have to go into using wordpress just like you'd go into building a web page. With a plan and with many, many assets (like images and navigational plans) already in place.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:47:19 am

Thanks for the warning, Chris!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 12:20:06 pm

I'll throw in another recommendation for WordPress. That's what I use on my website and it's ridiculously easy to set up.

Oh and iWeb even has a really easy Blog tool as well. We're actually redesigning our entire site in iWeb but will keep the WordPress blog in place when we make the switch, especially now that it's all fully automated on the updates.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:38:17 pm

Cool! Thanks, Walter.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Best option for blog?
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 7:49:17 pm

Searches should be working now.

Abraham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]