BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How much Social Media do you need??

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton HockmanHow much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:23:52 pm

What social media outlets do you use for you business? And do they help bring clients? And, are they expected nowadays?

I'm wondering how important it is to do certain things, like facebook, youtube, blog, etc.

Before I would export a video clip, send it to a client and I'm done. But now with all these Social Media outlets my "post" work is taking even longer on certain projects. And is it worth the time?

For example,

When I create a video, I then upload it to Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, etc. I usually do a press release about it also, and copy it to my blog, to article search engines, facebook business page and group page, twitter etc.

When does this all end? I know it broadens reach but, am I going overboard or is this expected in today's world?

What's your thoughts?

Owner
Plus More Media Group
Marketing Design Services - PlusMoreMedia.com
Marketing designs and videos that do more for your business!

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:37:43 pm

No matter how much you decide you need, and which ones to take advantage of, please consider this:

1) Upload your videos to the Cow. Your reel, shorts, spots, trailers, etc. They look better than the other services. You can go bigger. More secure, you can embed them in your own site, blah, blah, blah. But seriously. Upload your videos to the Cow.

2) Tie your reel and other clips to your listing at services.creativecow.net.

Why? Video hosting and service listings are free. You can extend them and integrate them in a variety of ways, anchored around your profile page.

Google yourself. The #1 result is your Cow profile page. There's no need to make potential clients follow a link if the information they're already looking for -- your reel, services, resume, etc. -- are already here.

Your profile can also link to your LinkedIn account, Facebook page, your blogs, your Twitter feed, etc. -- all in one place, along with all the other stuff I mentioned, in the place that most people are likely to find you.

3) Heck, they can even read your posts. Perhaps, Walter, you can tell the rest of the class how effective posting at the Cow can be for building your business. :-)

PS. It's not shocking that the #1 Google return for you is the Cow, Milton, since you've been here long enough to make nearly 500 posts. We've seen it happen for other people within a small handful of posts. Silly not to take advantage of it.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Return to posts index

Milton HockmanRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:33:41 pm

wow. that's amazing. #1 on google from Cow! sounds like a good place to post more of my stuff!

is there anyway to get my business name #1 too?

Owner
Plus More Media Group
Marketing Design Services - PlusMoreMedia.com
Marketing designs and videos that do more for your business!

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:42:49 pm

[Milton Hockman] "is there anyway to get my business name #1 too?"

A good place to start is to use it in your COW sig file as you are doing. The Google search system sees the COW as a trusted and important site and so anytime a search term is used that is pertinent or relevant to the COW, it gets heavy weighting in the search results.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:18:49 pm

I generally HATE social media stuff as just too fluffy and irrelevant to me. But here's an anecdote.

Guy calls me out of the blue recently about a potential video project. Apparently, he got my name thru a google search that involved my love of the x-plane flight sim as well as my home town, and that I make videos. That turned me up in some COW threads, and he decided I looked like the guy he needed for his project.

Now, it hasn't turned into an actual GIG yet, however it could wind up to be not only a fun job but quite lucrative. Still, I did find it kind of creepy to have been found that way instead of more traditional word-of-mouth, and because the net is a wild and wooly place, full of people trying to scam you, I did vet this guy before begining to take him seriously.

No, he's not from Nigeria.:-)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2009 at 8:08:42 pm

[Mark Suszko] "That turned me up in some COW threads, and he decided I looked like the guy he needed for his project."

That was my point in referring to Walter: your posts at The Cow become not just part of your resume -- they become part of your references. People can see whether you know what you're talking about.

They'll see for themselves whether you can DO what you're talking about. The Cow just helps with the talk.

I'll let him elaborate when he gets a chance, but Walter has said elsewhere in the Cow that folks working on Good Eats at the Food Network saw his posts in the Cow, and got him to work for them. He also had one of his clients refer Walter to someone else, telling the guy to check out Walter's posts for himself.

My general feeling about social media is that it's only as fluffy as you make it. "Social" is just people. "Media" is just media. Do you work with people? Using media? Then maybe some aspects of social media can work for you.

But if you're working in media in this field, then READING the Cow provides one kind of help. POSTING in the Cow can provide another.

Now, Cow self-promotion aside, I'm interested in hearing more about what folks are doing, and what's working.

One example I heard from the fine folks at Molecule in New York. (Their current gigs include VFX for "Rescue Me.") They use Twitter to push subscribers to their blog, where they post really (and I mean REALLY) compelling write-ups of their own work. The idea is to remind customers that Molecule is there, and that they do great work.

The way I heard of Molecule? via their reel in the Cow -- which, even though it was posted only 14 days ago, is rated just below their company's own website at the GOOG when you search for "molecule VFX." Check out their reel, which is of course connected to their Cow Services page.

Not that we're not happy to help, and their use of them is still evolving, but they're figuring out how to combine Twitter and their blog into hardcore marketing tools that are bringing them business.

Anyone else?

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:36:53 pm

Speaking of SEO - what's today's opinion on meta tags in web pages. One book or blog says that meta tags have been so abused by idiots that the search engines ignore them, while other current publications say they are a must, and others say they are not important but still do it just in case.

I see that the COW's home page has lots of meta key words, so that makes me say to myself "do it, it might be a good idea after all"

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:40:28 pm

The META tags are legacy items, Mike. They really are a thing of the past, for most part.

We haven't updated them in forever as the important search engines largely ignore them.

They have a very minor importance but the real importance is in understanding and learning to utilize SEO in a major, ever-changing and updating pertinence relative to what industry you are in.

Don't worry about META tags in most cases.

Ron

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:00:58 pm

My social media experience of late has had to do with the Connecticut film industry. Turns out, as in many regions, everyone knows everyone - go figure.

On Facebook, if you work in media and you are in New England, there is one producer who has likely friended you. As a result, you are connected to his thousand other friends. But I don't make a habit of friending people I don't know.

Fast forward a few months. I hired a couple of local actors for a shoot in Hartford. A few days later I noticed that one of the actors is FB friends with he who must not be named, so I friended her too. Then in June I attended a few events at the CT Film Fest, and added a couple of more FB friends, who it turns out are also friends with the actor and you know who.

Finally in August of this year there was a CT Film Industry Summer mixer - a wrap party to the annual mixer held during the CT Film Fest - so there I met a few new actors and other producer types as well as people I connected with previously at events and on FB. In other words, social networking online is just an extension of social networking done with actual voices and drinks in hand.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Matt SmithRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:33:47 pm

With meta tags in mind it does not hurt to leave them. Therefore it would be in my opinion to put them in just in case. Lets be honest how much effort does it actually take to add them?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:43:37 pm

And they do help show up information about you in the search description fields, etc., so they are not totally worthless...just mostly useless.

Ron

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2009 at 1:26:33 am

[Milton Hockman] "What social media outlets do you use for you business? And do they help bring clients? And, are they expected nowadays?"

There is a bigger issue than just social networking, in general, and I see it with many media professionals...

I know businesspeople that ignore the net, and I believe they do so to their own eventual demise. I know that sounds apocalyptic and too doom-and-gloomy for some, but here is why I think that...

We are ultimately in the communication business. And, if as communicators, we do not learn to use the tool that is (beyond even that of the printing press) the most massive and expressive communication explosion in human history, then how will our clients eventually see us? Especially when they look us up and we are not to be found, as we are not in attendence.

Personally, that sends a message to clients that I would not want to be sending. Especially the good-paying clients who want to trust the fat contracts to the people that they trust they can follow, as it's clear that they know how to lead these clients to success.

That is my opinion. Others may think differently.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:44:52 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "then how will our clients eventually see us? Especially when they look us up and we are not to be found"

Clients are not to be trusted. How can they be, when they don't do exactly what you tell them to do? You can only raise them right, and hope they grow up to make their own decisions wisely.

So start by building the kind of marketing that you want your clients to deploy. To use one obvious example that ties directly to social media, are you really going to advise your clients not to have a website? Are you going to advise them to make sure it stays out of date?

No? Then make sure you have a website good enough to serve as an example to them, at least in form and timeliness. Here's how to use text, here's how to use pictures, here's how to use video. Here's how to update it. The specifics will vary widely, but best practices are best practices for a reason.

re: social media in particular, learn enough about it to have something wise to offer. Not just your own experiences. Learn why and how specific forms of social media can play a role in marketing, maybe even sales.

We have observed in many other threads in this forum that there was a time not that long ago when the web was solely the domain of UFOs, Elvis, kitties and vacation photos -- often some combination of all of them.

Ron was actively and aggressively derided for stepping onto that ridiculously shaky platform that NOBODY would EVER use for professional communication. Seriously. It rained down like brimstone. That has obviously changed as the web has become "use it or LOSE" for most businesses...

....and many people have never forgiven Ron for being right.

This pattern will absolutely repeat for the tools that extend networks in new directions...because networking ain't going away. Virtually nobody needs to use EVERY outreach platform, yet virtually nobody can afford to dismiss social media out of hand.

Which is a typically long-winded way of asking in return, how much outreach to other people can you afford NOT to make? People are using social media because they WANT to make connections. That includes your current and future clients. Will you be there to meet them?

The idea is not to find reasons for rejecting new outreach platforms, but to find ways to exploit them to your benefit.

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 1:46:03 pm

Social Media has worked quite a bit for us. We have a fairly small market with many players - a mix of experienced production houses that have been in he business for more than 10 years and run by people well-connected to he industry and also many tiny startups and one man bands doing work of all quality.

Where we stand size-wise is on the tiny side but quality-wise, I'm fairly confident we've been punching above our weight.

I'm kind of in-charge of all our web activities but unfortunately, my web building skills are stuck in the 90s, when HTML just came out. So our website
is still... Under construction.

BUT it seems like having a blogspot blog is giving us even more exposure than a traditional website would have. We're getting pretty good hits (I've been tracking with a counter) and has received calls from potential clients who googled. We also have production stills up on Flickr and a regularly updated YouTube channel. I've also begun uploading our recent works on Facebook, tagging my cast and crew.

If anyone searches for 'Singapore production house' on yahoo or google, we're within the 1st two pages. Same term on Youtube finds us filling up the first page.

I've never really read up intensively on SEO but just relied on many years as a net geek to pull these things together... Seems to be working!

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:04:41 pm

[Kai Cheong] "BUT it seems like having a blogspot blog is giving us even more exposure than a traditional website would have."

As you may have noted when I talked about Molecule in New York, I find blogs to be generally more effective. Easier to update, that's for sure. Especially when combined with things like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc...even good old email updates...to drive current customers to regularly check out your new stuff. We all know that repeat business is the best business, but too rarely directly market to our customers. Social media is PERFECT for that.

FWIW, searching on your name, the Cow is #3, behind Kai Cheong Trading Company, and the Forbes Magazine profile of Kwan Kai Cheong, executive director of a high-powered telecom company in Hong Kong. You're in fine company!

Searching on Intuitive Films, your Cow services page is behind only your own site (of course), a stock footage company with the same name and YouTube - and that's with only one clip at the Cow! Add the rest of your portfolio to make a Cow channel, and I think we can put you ahead of YouTube. :-)

In any case, you guys are doing great work. I'd love to see it at reels.creativecow.net. (We also host shorts, spots, trailers, etc.)

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: How much Social Media do you need??
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 2:50:21 pm

I pitch ad campaigns much of the time. I leverage social networking sites to do this. It's very easy to explain that their paying for tv advertising is paying for folks to pee, hit the fridge and tivo through their dollars. A presence on myspace, facebook and twitter that uses content from a custom youtube channel offers hella more bang for the buck. This is why my social networking sites are listed on my website. Most of my new clients for this don't know anything about em other than than their daighter spends a lot of time on em. I can then get paid to update these and it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]