BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How do you Bill for Other Creative Services?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Hockman
How do you Bill for Other Creative Services?
on Sep 2, 2009 at 5:27:54 pm

I offer video editing, graphic design, and web design.

How do you all bill for these other creative services? Are you billing the same hourly rate for all ? or adjusting it?

tips would be greatly appreciated.

Motion Graphics Artist and Non-Linear Editor
Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How do you Bill for Other Creative Services?
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:30:58 pm

We have different rates for different services. We don't have tons of different ones though, really just three or four.

1) Shooting is our most expensive hourly rate, whether on stage here or on location. We have one basic shoot rate that includes any and all (or none) of our "toys," just whatever is needed. Could be just a camera and sticks... or could include a jib, dolly, full HMI package, sound, whatever. It doesn't matter if it is handycam DV video or 35mm film, the hourly rate is the same. I imagine other people have adjusting rates depending on what equipment is used, but we found that very hard to keep track of... and we like to think (or make them think) that clients are paying for talent, not the hardware... so there is pretty much only one rate for shooting since it always ties up the same personnel. We will add to this rate if something is complicated enough to require additional crew members or if we have to rent equipment (such as a special lens we don't have, or more HMIs than we own), but it usually stays the same... except that we have a slightly higher rate if a shoot requires a teleprompter or Steadicam.

Of course, that's just the rate for shooting... and does not include things like talent, expendibles, tape or film stock, location fees or permits, or any special expenses incurred to "get the shot"... but I think that goes without saying. The "base rate" is the same.

2) Editing is our next-tier hourly rate, anything that happens in one of our edit suites is billed at this rate. This could be editing, graphics production, animation, rotoscoping, compositing, dubbing, etc.

3) Next comes what I will call "administrative/creative." This is pretty much a catch-all for anything else.... writing, meetings, casting, conference calls. It's basically anything that takes up our time, but doesn't tie up a shoot crew and equipment or an edit suite.

4) Lastly is travel time, which is (I think) usually just flat-billed at half the shoot rate.

Other people probably do this very differently, but this works for us.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:47:52 pm

There have been numerous threads on this recently. Todd summed it up nicely. The only thing I will add is the Hourly vs Project methods of billing.

Depending upon the client and/or scope of the job, it may be advantageous for one or both parties to bill for the project vs hourly.

For example, it may take you 80 hours to build a custom web page from concept to launch. At $Y/hour that's $80Y . Or you may make a proposal listing your deliverables and responsibilities, but rather than breaking down the price by hourly estimate, list line item costs for each service. You can then make the line items add up to more or less than your estimated hours times rate depending upon how you want to split the benefits.

If 80 hours is your estimate, but you will likely go way over - it is beneficial to the client to charge by the project.

But if you will likely be under the hourly estimate, it is beneficial to you to also charge by the project.

Others, of course, just keep the meter running, but that's what you do when you work day to day. As a small business owner, you need to work longer term, so project pricing is often better for your business, and makes your work for hire business into a professional service vs a hourly worker.

To compare apples to apples among and between clients, make up a rate card for the different types of deliverables, ie, commercial show open website etc.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:58:26 pm

None of my time is worth less than other time. It's all the same rate no matter how they elect to spend the time.
I do offer flat rates for turn-key projects.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:34:13 pm

[grinner hester] "None of my time is worth less than other time. It's all the same rate no matter how they elect to spend the time.
"

There is definitely something to be said for Grinner's approach in this regard, because it simplifies everything for everyone. The last thing you want to be doing is spending your time calculating a hodge podge of different fees for your services. It makes the clients struggle too.

I'm not a big fan however of flat rates for anything. Date rates, hourly rates, weekly rates for me, but no flat rates please.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 9:32:53 pm

i read a book on freelance and it said the same thing. But, isn't it hard to justify when comparing web design and video editing?

I know people who charge between 150-250 an hour for editing. Can you really do that for a web page? Or for a business card design?

Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 5, 2009 at 10:30:13 pm

It's not hard at all. You are selling your time and expertise. I do very little web design work because many can't afford video rates for it and I sure can't afford to cut my rate in half for something that requires no less expertise. I'd much rather be available for full rate billing than tie myself down into a half-paying gig. This is how many folks today get into trouble... working more hours at less pay.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:00:05 pm

If you poke around the Web site of Association of Independent Commercial Producers, you can find all kinds of interesting spreadsheets.
http://www.aicp.com/

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 9:34:35 pm

can you be specific where? Its a big website.

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:32:45 am

We bill almost exactly like Todd does...although we will charge more if it's a shoot using higher-end equipment...say HD versus SD, or with specilized support equipment like jib arm, large grip package etc. But we do have a category for concepting, writing, location scouting, storyboarding etc. that's less than both shooting and editing.

We also have different rates for compressing/encoding video since it's a little less time intensive than editing or graphics or compositing etc., but it's still tying up a workstation for a couple hours or even a day at a time on a big job.

We also break down all our estimates and bills and show clients exactly what they're getting. We've actually done some informal survey's via email on this and the number one complaint from clients was flat-rate estimates and bills that don't itemize or break down what they're getting. The people who responded said they want to know exactly what they're getting on a job (hours shooting, editing, graphics, equipment charges etc.) so there's no quibbling about it down the road. They also said they'd been burned by flat-rate quotes where vendors would charge more than the flat rate and claim, "well that wasn't included in the flat-fee I quoted."

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:40:12 am

Hi Milton,

Good responses to your post. My 2-cents… Billing your clients is just one side of the coin (pun intended).

My suggestion is… Either way, if you charge the same or differently for each service, set up different/specific “items/services” for each one. When I want to know which services/items are making the most money (video, graphics, Web design, etc.) having a detailed Items List and Chart of Accounts gives me the answers when I run the numbers.

Good Luck,
Bruce

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Creative Inspiration
Documentaries for those who love to create … and to be inspired.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]