BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Errors & Omissions Insurance Coverage - scam?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Errors & Omissions Insurance Coverage - scam?
on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:14:17 pm

I'd like to hear from all producers, writers, editors, or whomever about their experience with errors and omissions (malpractice) insurance. I'd also like to know where you got it.

I'm developing a project and it appears I will need to buy coverage if I want the local PBS station to carry it, a half-hour educational/historical documentary.

I'm not pleased with the one insurance company I've talked to. When I say "documentary" they envision something "edgy" that might inspire a lawsuit. Cost for insurance on a "documentary" is at least $2,500.00 - or roughly speaking - 13% of the entire budget!

Do you have such coverage - if so, why? Do your clients require it? Can you recommend an insurance company with reasonable rates? Another issue with the above mentioned insurance company, their application was incoherent. I couldn't read or understand many of the questions, which makes me wonder if they're giving themselves a back door to coverage denial.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Errors & Omissions Insurance Coverage - scam?
on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:48:41 pm

Not sure I understand your questions. E/O itself, in principle, is not a scam, but a particular agency offering E/O could be.

True Story: Contracted designer made a logo for my brand. A well-known motorcycle brand sued. Huge money paid out. Now all designers for my brand are required to carry $3 Mil E/O policy.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:22:43 pm

Malpractice??
mal requires no practice.
or premiums.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:03:46 am

IIRC, my E&O coverage was just a rider to my general business and comprehensive liability policy.

I think adding it upped my premium by $50 a year or something. Nothing substantial.

Look, ALL insurance is a RISK game. From the insurance company point of view, they're goal is to take in the largest premiums possible and pay out the least claims possible. That's how insurance companies work. Pure and simple. So if you come to them with any whiff of a potential claim issue, of course they're going to quote you the moon.

But if you're just shopping for general insurance with out the whiff of a specific exposure, the rules then to change. In other words, if it's just part of your run of the mill insurance profile, it's a small incremental bump.

If you don't have general business insurance, shop around. You can probably get a GREAT policy that covers E&O for far less than what they're quoting for a rider for just that.

That's how it works in my experience, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Just a guy who pays premiums every month so I can pull a certificate when someone asks - and hopes I'll never need the insurance I keep buying. (sigh)

YMMV.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:04:36 pm

I've never thought of using insurance for anything other than catastrophic loss, knocking on wood here in tornado country.

Thanks so much for all of the responses. Great information, which I expected when I submitted the original post.

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:45:43 am

Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:10:23 am

Most all networks and broadcasters will require this, especially any show that deals with "facts" or factual situations. If someone says you're wrong, they can file suit against the station and you, this insurance protects you in the case of an error or ommission in the show, just like the name says.

A Producer I work with uses the Hays Agency in Washington, DC.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:56:28 am

Something just doesn't jive with all of this. I know all of you who have responded are correct and I know I'll have to buy it. But it seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again for the posts - this is a fantastic forum. I'm very grateful.

Rich

Rich

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 3:01:06 am

[Richard Kuenneke] "Something just doesn't jive with all of this. I know all of you who have responded are correct and I know I'll have to buy it. But it seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do. "

Well, going back to your first question:
I'm developing a project and it appears I will need to buy coverage if I want the local PBS station to carry it, a half-hour educational/historical documentary.

Educational / historical means you're dealing with facts. It's not a work of fiction. Therefore, E & O is required by pretty much anyone who will run it. Price depends on the station, how many airings, where it will air, etc....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:21:17 pm

Yes, I'm dealing with facts, but no one can make a damage claim if I reported World War Two started in 1943 instead of 1941. The point is that if I somehow misrepresent someone in my work then, in theory, they could sue. However, they'd have to prove I intended to misrepresent that person. Absent malice, there's no case. But, as we know, people may engage a lawsuit and hope to settle out of court.

Rich

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:24:26 am

Uh, WW-II began on September 3, 1939.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Philip Howells
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:10:18 am

I don't wish to add undue levity to a serious subject but am I the only one here who finds it paradoxical that an historical documentary producer who thinks WW2 started in 1941 should be arguing whether he needs insurance against errors of fact in his work?

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:28:58 pm

Thanks for the laugh at my expense.

My reference - off the cuff - was made in reference to United States involvement - but you probably knew that or maybe not?

Remember Pearl Harbor!

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:46:20 pm

Uh - you're wrong. September 1, 1939 in Europe when Germany invaded Poland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_two

The United States entered the war in 1941 after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. That was my reference, sir.

Rich

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:49:42 am

[Richard Kuenneke] "I know I'll have to buy it. But it seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do."

No, you may not have to buy it. You can speak with the general manager or the programming director and ask them to cover you under their E&O policy. If they like you they'll do it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:46:34 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "No, you may not have to buy it. You can speak with the general manager or the programming director and ask them to cover you under their E&O policy. If they like you they'll do it. "

Do you actually know of stations doing this? I've never experienced that in our work. It's always the production company that has to provide their own E&O since the station / network had nothing to do with the production itself.

I could see your scenario playing out if the station / network was somehow involved with the actual production asking them to put us under their blanket.. I'd love to know some of your examples of a station providing the E&O to a project they have not participated in. Would certainly save us a lot of money on our end if we could point to some examples.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:32:51 pm

Note re: insurance in general. This is a great time to look for new policies for EVERYTHING. If you can show that you're even vaguely solvent, and have kept up payments on your old policy with no or only minor claims, you can save big.

We wound up at companies with much higher satisfaction ratings who are also pleasanter to deal with....and saved well over $1000 on home and auto. Took care of it in a little time online and 2 phone calls.

I bet you'll find the same for bidness.

And to underscore: look for new insurance that includes what you're looking for. Adding individual pieces can cost more than the base policy.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:55:03 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Note re: insurance in general. This is a great time to look for new policies for EVERYTHING. If you can show that you're even vaguely solvent, and have kept up payments on your old policy with no or only minor claims, you can save big.
"

I'll add to that to make sure you deal with a local representative who comes to your office personally to see your operation. We have had insurance through The Hartford since we opened in 2001. Through 2005 we were just dealing with a blanket insurance policy through their national offices.

In 2005 I had a local independent agent come out to the office and he ended up saving us almost $1,000/ year while doubling our coverage. He saw what we were doing and re-wrote the entire policy to better suit our specific needs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:35:09 pm

You have to plead your case. Obviously, if they're paying top dollar they're not going to do cover you, but if they are giving you pittance, as many PBS outlets are want to do, they will help you out if they want your show(s). Like any negotiation, you must make it clear that you're willing to walk away if they don't capitulate.

Without naming specific call letters etc., over the years I've gotten several PBS outlets to capitulate, and some of the big cable broadcasters as well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:52:10 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "You have to plead your case. Obviously, if they're paying top dollar they're not going to do cover you, but if they are giving you pittance, as many PBS outlets are want to do, they will help you out if they want your show(s). Like any negotiation, you must make it clear that you're willing to walk away if they don't capitulate.
"

This confuses me. PBS stations do not pay for programming. It's the other way around. You have to pay to put your programming on PBS. In the case of one series we Post, it's $2,500 per episode to have the presenting station run each episode.

That's the rub with PBS, you have to raise your own funding and you have to pay the presenting station a fee to run each episode. They, in turn, use those funds in part to market the series to other PBS stations to make the coverage as large as possible. Unlike other networks, each individual PBS station is free to set their own schedule. So the presenting station is relied upon to market the series to as many stations as possible so you can get the widest coverage available.

The only way around this fee to have the PBS station participate in the actual production.

The positive side of this arrangement is that the production company retains ownership and all rights to the show so it can be re-sold in syndication or via direct to home sales later earning more income for the production company.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:12:44 pm

[walter biscardi] "This confuses me. PBS stations do not pay for programming. It's the other way around. You have to pay to put your programming on PBS."

Yes, that is true in many, if not most cases, but certainly not in all.

Traditional acquisitions and licensing still take place at the local level, on a limited basis however. It's really matter of what you've got to sell and where and if it fits with the needs of the local station. The problem is, PBS stations have only a very small number of available slots they can fill locally, and they are cash poor as well. KCET has always had a slot in their schedule called INDEPENDENT EYE, for acquisitions. Other stations have similar slots.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 29, 2009 at 3:46:21 pm

My insurer is The Hartford and an annual E&O policy to cover all our productions, including things like the hard drive got erased after the shoot as well as not delivering what the client wanted came to about $2800 a year. The guy who said it was only $50 more than his business insurance probably is not covered for many things.

A Director friend of mine also has this insurance and produces many high end TV spots in a decent market and his is also around $3000 annually.

Would be overkill for a single project but if you do productions of more than $1,000,000 each year, protecting yourself is surely worth $2500.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 30, 2009 at 3:42:12 am

[Rich Rubasch] "My insurer is The Hartford and an annual E&O policy to cover all our productions, including things like the hard drive got erased after the shoot as well as not delivering what the client wanted came to about $2800 a year. The guy who said it was only $50 more than his business insurance probably is not covered for many things. "

That's really good. That covers any and all productions you do for a one year cycle? that's great!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:39:08 am

I'm the guy who said $50 and yes, that's my reality. For reasons.

My E&O policy is good coverage. It's also based on the fact that my business insurance package has been in force for more than 20 years. In that time, I've had very close to ZERO claims.

So yes, I'm probably paying a lot less than current competitive rates in some areas of my policy.

In point of fact, I never asked for E&O coverage. My agent offered it during a review back in the 1990s as my practice was growing.

If I ever find myself ASKING for additional coverage in that area or any other, I fully expect the insurance company to see this as a red flag and do their best to sell me coverage at SUBSTANTIALLY higher rates. THIS IS HOW INSURANCE WORKS.

40 years ago, I had brain surgery. The $40,000 in medical bills were paid for (after a HUGE hassle) by a $125 a YEAR policy I was added onto by my wife when she was a College student. Why so low? Because most college students are at VERY low risk for major surgery.

Similar with business insurance. If you don't really need it, you can get it cheap. Once ANYTHING establishes that you're at risk for a claim, your costs will SKYROCKET for the same protection that someone else can secure for pennies. It's just how the industry works.

And something we all have to deal with.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 30, 2009 at 3:41:52 am

[David Roth Weiss] " The problem is, PBS stations have only a very small number of available slots they can fill locally, and they are cash poor as well. "

That's not my understanding at all of how PBS stations work based on my meetings with the Georgia Public Broadcasting and through the various series we're delivering.

Each PBS station works as an independent entity. As such, they completely set their own schedule and are free to choose any programming to fill their day. Whether that's something from a national feed or their own original programming, they can fill their day with anything. There is no "small number of available slots" to fill locally.

There's a great example of that right here in Atlanta with GPB broadcasting a completely different schedule than WPBA 30. They're both broadcasting right here in Atlanta, but have completely different broadcast schedules. There is no "national mandate" from a national PBS network or anything that governs what these stations "must" show like there is with networks such as ABC, CBS, etc...

KCET may tell you they have limited slots, but in reality, the entire 24 hour programming cycle is available for them to fill as they see fit.

And getting back to the original question of this thread, KCET is the only one I've ever heard of that will offer E&O for something they did not produce or co-produce. That's definitely a rarity. We should probably all start calling them and pitching shows as that is a major budget savings.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:46:45 am

Our local PBS station has never required this insurance before. They've welcomed my work because I enjoy producing historical content and it helps them stay ahead on their own production schedule if they have 15 fewer minutes to produce or program - plus it's local and it's free to them. I'm grateful for the exposure and the credibility a local broadcast of my work lends to my business. It also doesn't hurt that I worked for them for 9 years before launching my own production company.

I intend to plead my case when the time comes - but I'm also evolving in my opinion about the need for this insurance - gradually. I guess it's worth the peace of mind - but it alters the landscape for the super local, like me.

Rich

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 30, 2009 at 11:52:45 am

[Richard Kuenneke] "I guess it's worth the peace of mind - but it alters the landscape for the super local, like me."

No, it keeps your landscape from being altered.

Anybody working in any kind of media that deals with facts, especially if self-employed, NEEDS E&O insurance for the work you create. That means a small amount of money to INSURE that you're not spending the rest of your life paying for one small mistake.

Even if all you're doing is commercials for furniture stores and used car dealers, you still need general liability insurance to protect you from anything like, say, a customer in the store tripping over your tripod and breaking their arm when they fall. The store won't pay that claim. Their insurance company will make sure that it all falls on you.

You better pray that customer has health insurance, because you can bet that they'll find a lawyer to make sure you pay. (In most states, lawyers can ONLY get paid for liability cases when they win, which gives them a lot of incentive.) You could even find yourself on the hook for their lost income.

That's a physical thing - but the work you do is far more than physical. Even local commercials carry images, ideas and facts -- not just yours and your clients, but anything related to any company you deal with. E&O is what INSURES that any mistakes - even those made in good faith, with the client's support and direction - don't fall on you.

This kind of thing is the same reason electricians, carpenters, masons, mechanics, doctors, lawyers, landscapers and other craftspeople carry INSURANCE - to protect THEM from any mistakes they make when they're working for you. To INSURE their landscape from being altered, perhaps to the point of never being able to practice their trade again.

It's the same reason you INSURE your house, apartment, car - to INSURE that your landscape never becomes altered beyond your ability to recover.

Without insurance, you can never INSURE that you have a financial future for yourself and your family. You insure your life so that you INSURE that your family has at least a year or two to stay afloat.

(Not married yet? Perfect time to start a life insurance policy. The premiums for the rest of your life will be much lower too.)

You may not want to play in the big leagues. Doesn't matter. If you want to be an adult in this business, you need the appropriate insurance. Adding E&O to a general liability policy costs a few dollars. It's your responsibility to take care of yourself, your business and your family.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:27:21 am

I have general liability insurance. I don't have E & O, which you say I need just as much as I need general coverage. Where do you buy yours?

Why aren't the insurance companies advertising in the trades? And if this topic is so important, why aren't we seeing more articles about it? Shouldn't the Cow or some other trade report on this topic?

Given the critical need for this insurance - according to you and a few others in this string - It appears the insurers are missing the boat by not making themselves known.

Rich

Return to posts index

Jeff Bollow
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:06:52 am

[Anybody working in any kind of media that deals with facts, especially if self-employed, NEEDS E&O insurance for the work you create.]

Just wanted to add that E&O insurance is generally required by distributors on feature films projects, as well. While you definitely want to get E&O for documentary, it's equally necessary for film and TV.
- If you create a fictional character that ends up with similarities to an actual person, place or event, that's where E&O insurance covers you.
- If you accidentally film a car's license plate and neglect to fuzz it out, that person can say you've invaded their privacy.
- If you include a piece of artwork in the background that you didn't get permission to photograph, its owner has a claim against you.
- If your title violates someone else's trademark, the cost of a suit could be staggering.

There are a TON of reasons to get E&O coverage and anyone working on professional scale projects simply must get it. If you're doing straight-to-the-web stuff or very small scale stuff that's unlikely to make any money, it may not be a big deal. But as soon as you start selling your work, I would consider it mandatory.

What I think this thread has overlooked is that within the film industry E&O covers everything you SHOULD have obtained permission to use but accidentally DIDN'T.

So to answer the Subject of this thread -- No, it's not a scam. It's absolutely essential for film and TV professionals.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:02:28 pm

Thank you for this note and your laser focused response as to why this insurance is necessary - very helpful.

I know all the cable shows fuzz out faces and license plates - but to me that's done to avoid a frivolous hassle from someone with a lawyer who is looking for a quick buck. I'll bet those cable show attorneys tell the producers to fuzz everyone and everything with an identifiable feature even though that video is legal because it's shot in a public right of way. If gaining permission of every person on the street was mandatory, then each and every television news operation would fold over night - or all of its video would have to have a blur filter applied before being used.

Interesting.

Rich

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:20:07 pm

[Richard Kuenneke] "I know all the cable shows fuzz out faces and license plates - but to me that's done to avoid a frivolous hassle from someone with a lawyer who is looking for a quick buck"

Take a look at the Best Practices guide linked above. There are ways that you can use crowd shots, background art, license plates, etc. -- and ways that you absolutely can NOT.

Copyrights, personal stuff - that's bad. Maybe very bad. Trademark violation? Fall afoul of somebody big, and they'll own you. The courts can hold you responsible for the value of the trademark to the trademark holder TIMES THREE.

That sounds dire, but as mentioned above, it's the same reason that every trade practitioner takes out insurance, and why many venues require it of you -- any mistake is going to fall down on YOUR head. Your client pays their lawyers good money to make sure of it.

Pro or not, small-time or big-time, as soon as your work steps out into public, the size of the error is all that matters. So the question to ask yourself isn't, "Is a few dollars a day more than I feel like paying for insurance?" The question is, "How much can I afford to lose?"

I guarantee that your first loss will be bigger than what you've spent on insurance.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:39:07 pm

Thanks Tim. Where's the link you mentioned?

Rich

Return to posts index

Rich Sims
on Sep 5, 2009 at 12:43:51 pm

Hi Tim,

You mentioned to take a look at the above best practices guide,

"Take a look at the Best Practices guide linked above."

Cant' seem to find the link, am I missing something? Could be, I've been traveling and need some sleep.

Thanks,
Rich Sims

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:06:45 pm

Here's the link to the Fair Use & Copyright resources at the Center for Social Media from American University School of Communication. The Best Practices guide is a little way down the page.

There are a bunch of other great resources there for documentaries, indie film, stuff you post on your personal website, educators -- all very interesting and useful. Poke around the rest of the site to see what you might find. :-)

Tim

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
"scam" - it's hard to tell
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:36:19 pm

Most purchases provide immediate feedback. You buy the apple, you eat the apple. It tastes good - or not. If it's lousy, you've at least learned something, and you haven't lost your ability to eat another apple. Insurance might be the only thing we buy which lacks feedback until it's too late, sometimes disastrously so.

So I don't fault you, as some others seem to have, for using the word "scam," because it can certainly seem that way. (The health care debate has uncovered many stories of people whose policies didn't cover what they had expected them to.)

This thread has been interesting, but has not touched on how E&O policies have performed in action. It would be good to hear some factual cases. I suspect, however, that many people involved in settling a dispute have had to sign an agreement restricting his/her freedom to discuss it.

The biggest problem is getting insurance that actually covers what you need. A good agent who really knows the territory would be a valuable asset in your search for appropriate insurance. Walter made a good point about the agent who took the trouble to visit his place of business. You might also want to consult an attorney who specializes in intellectual property for a recommendation.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
Re: "scam" - it's hard to tell
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:55:30 pm

I contacted an intellectual property attorney and he won't return my call.

Scam refers to the insurance guy I talked to who offered no information other than prices that seemed way beyond the need - AND he sent me a form to fill out that was unreadable. When I contacted him again for help with the form, he ignored me.

I've got my general business liability agent working on this. I hope to hear from her today or tomorrow. I think she'll be able to give me a general E & O policy for my business - I am not sure she can cover a specific production that airs on local television.

The scam-insurance-guy mentioned above told me I would have to get a policy for a specific production and the minimum cost was $2,500.00. Once it was complete, I would submit it to them with all the documentation and they would send me an invoice.

Given their trusting, helpful nature, I am not sure they will add a considerable amount to the base price of $2,500.00.

Rich

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: "scam" - it's hard to tell
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:04:34 pm

It's time-consuming, but you might try contacting more agents and more i.p. attorneys. There are many lawyers with great experience in how insurance policies actually work, and it's tricky. There are outstanding people in the insurance business, but there are also, as you have discovered, lazy and ignorant agents as well. I know a couple great agents, and they are worth the search.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Adam Deierling
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:32:22 pm

http://filmemporium.com/errors_omissions.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]