BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Cow Tipping

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Cow Tipping
on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:59:11 pm

I just had an idea that I thought I'd share. Wouldn't it be great if guys like me that always have stupid little problems could 'thank' forum leaders that help solve my problems with a $5 paypal donation? You could add a little link in the resolution post (or in any post by a forum leader) that says 'If this solved your problem, feel free to thank your forum leader via paypal'. Maybe click a green cow that has 'thanks' written on it's side under the forum leader's picture in each post they make.

I see the benefit of this being that forum leaders would see some direct cash for their time and effort. Additionally, side effects would be a likely positive increase in tone on the boards, quicker responses to solutions, and less frustration with repeat questions that pop up on forums. Sure, most people won't thank anyone and will continue milking the cow for free. Some folks like me WILL thank the herd for their time. If I give $5 as a tip to a waitress for bringing me grits and eggs at Huddle House when I go to GA to visit my folks, you can bet I'll be more than happy to do the same for guys that help keep my business running smoothly.

An automatic post could be generated to the bottom of a resolved thread saying 'user x thanked Bob for his help, to learn how you can thank forum leaders for their help, add paypal information to your information by clicking here'. That would likely initiate a little peer pressure on others to 'thank' those who help. You could have the default 'thank' be set to $5, but maybe some could only afford $1. Paypal information could be entered each time you want to 'thank', or saved in user profiles.

Am I crazy? This could be useful, right?

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Cow Tipping
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:39:31 pm

Hmmm. Interesting idea, John. But I'm not sure that implementing "tipping" wouldn't go against the spirit and intent of the COW. That is unless the money is coming into MY PayPal account. But seriously, maybe it would be better if the donation were to some charity that we could agree upon. Fact of the matter is we're all playing on Ron & Kathlyn's playground and they invented the game and they set the rules.

Unrelated, but parallel, I've always thought that it would be amusing to add a "Gratuity" line item (left blank) along with a blank "Total" line beneath it to client invoices sent out in December. It would be interesting to see if anyone would actually put something in it. Then again, it might cause a S-storm of criticism, likely from the people we work hardest for and get paid the least.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:47:12 pm

[Nick Griffin] "But seriously, maybe it would be better if the donation were to some charity that we could agree upon. Fact of the matter is we're all playing on Ron & Kathlyn's playground and they invented the game and they set the rules.
"

I appreciate John's thoughts and I really like Nick's idea of donations going to charity. That would be very cool. As this is Ron and Kathlyn's playground, maybe they can come up with an idea.

Again, much appreciated on your thoughts John and glad we've been able to help you through the years.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:49:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words, John. I appreciate your well-intentioned thoughts. Having said that - I disagree with your idea.

I'll stake my public reputation on any advice I give here, but I certainly don't want to get paid for it. Then it would seem like a job. ;-)

I also don't think it would be fair to reward the leaders unless there were an equal way to reward *anyone* who responds to a thread or asks a great question the same way. CreativeCOW is, after all, about the users and it's those users make it what it is.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:13:13 pm

I have a very good solution for this. My poor little dog, Augie Doggie, needs new shoes, and because of the recession he hasn't had a bone in months. So, any money that's taken in should please be sent to David Roth Weiss, Trustee for Augie Doggie Weiss. I'll be sure to put it to very good use and my poor little doggie will be happy once again with a nice big bone.

Here's a picture of poor little Augie:

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:13:47 pm

You're very cool, John.
I could see a communal tip jar that goes to charity as being very productive. Off the top of my head, I lean towards leukemia as the end target for this. Perhaps it could be a different great cause each month, quarter or year.
I do appriciate yer thinkin', man.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:38:13 pm

Hmmm...interesting points. I honestly don't know much about paypal - I just use it as an example.
Perhaps even a 'gift' of amazon credits or something like that would work. You could call them 'cowflops'. When your pile of steaming cowflops gets big enough, you can go online and buy a big screen tv or something.

There are alot of hilarious posts Bob Z has made where I would have given at least a quarter for lightening up my mood a bit.

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:38:41 pm

I saw this thread and thought it was about knocking over bovines. Sad to say it's only about giving leaders money.

Damn:)

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:46:56 pm

I think John's original post is the best thanks of all. Suggesting a way to compensate others for their generous help is very gracious.

I'm in the red as far as my giving help to getting help ratio. If I had made $5 tips for all the help I have received on the COW over the years I'd be broke.

But luckily, the COW offers such great help to everyone that it helps keep us all solvent.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:42:38 am

[Mike Cohen] "I think John's original post is the best thanks of all. Suggesting a way to compensate others for their generous help is very gracious. "

Absolutely. I give thanks everyday for the opportunity to do what I do and actually get paid for it. I'm especially thankful to my wife for all her support and I'm even thankful for the stress that our workload has placed on us forcing us to get serious about buying a new building a year before I planned to.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:40:27 am

Not to be contrariarn... but BAD IDEA!

You want to tip someone... do it privately. I don't care if it goes to charity or not. This forum is a FREE exchange of ideas and advice. Putting a "price" on it, even if it's only voluntary is the first step down a slippery slope. There's plenty of "advice" that comes from "non heads". Come to think of it, there's plenty of "heads" up there that I've never, ever heard from. What are they doing up there anyway?

Putting this kind of "implied social pressure" on a free forum is just plain distracting! Doesn't belong there. You wanna thank someone, find 'em on Facebook and send 'em a heart!

Mark

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:51:05 am

[Mark Raudonis] "...there's plenty of "heads" up there that I've never, ever heard from. What are they doing up there anyway?"

Plenty? Does one now count as plenty?

;)

We are getting ready to make another shuffle of the deck, to answer your question.

And like you, Mark, I really would prefer that people tip people privately. If the people who help want to add a PayPal link on their site, that would be great, but I would really be uncomfortable with that kind of thing here at the COW.

Even back in the beginning when we were genuinely struggling and broke as a stick in the hands of King Kong, we didn't feel comfortable with this kind of thing.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:49:30 pm

(Garth Algar) "We fear change".
I'd be afraid to implement the idea here.

It alters the social dynamic in a chaotic way. Even with the most benign motives, I fear it might mess up what has been a very, very good thing.

There are sites where you pay for advice, I used one recently when my car had trouble, it worked well for what I needed, and there are places on those sites where I could set myself up and get paid to do what I do here for free. But I don't. And I don't vist that car advice site regularly.

It is hard to define, but doing it for free here has been more rewarding to me than getting micro-paypal payments at the for-profit site could ever be. For one thing, it is a great equalizer. For another, people would be much more circumspect in answering if there was a dollar value attached to the answers. That implies some kind of warranty on the information. I've always thoguht that anything I tell someone here is worth exactly what they paid for it. To put even a modest cash value on it, well, I'd freeze up. Same reason I don't want to be a mod.

I'm just a guy with an opinion, nothing more, no strings attached. Take it for wehat it's worth to you, or don't. If I help someone, I'm happy, that's my reward. Hopefully, when I need help, someone will do the same for me. It is delightfully zen and simple this way, and obviously Ron is doing somethign right since the site is such a huge success. Why complicate it with commerce?

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:11:55 pm

I have to say that, as usual, Mark has succinctly put in words what many of us have been thinking. The Cow is not about money, it's about community and the power of collective knowledge. Anything that could or would alter any aspect of that would be a tragedy. Let's keep it just as it is.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:43:59 pm

Well, to be fair, it is also about making enough money to sustain itself and to make it worth Ron's effort to build it up and run it. Hopefully, the advertising and sales of DVD's does that now.

I would not be personally opposed to a site where people who wish to, can send paypal donations to designated charities in the COW's name. However, Ron would lose some control over that, so I'd be nervous of doing that if I were him.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:12:49 pm

How about a pot jar and a poker tournament at the end of the year?

At Ron's house maybe?

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:20:27 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "How about a pot jar and a poker tournament at the end of the year? "

Let's make that either a golf tournament or a golf and poker tournament...

If so little Augie might just get his new shoes and bone after all.

BTW, let me suggest that we dispense with handicaps on the golf course. Handicaps are for wimps and we certainly wouldn't want anyone to suggest that Cows are wimpy, would we?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:34:29 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "At Ron's house maybe?"

Only if Nick Griffin flies out and handles the wine flight built around local wines from our area.

This, as Kathlyn and I function as the Self Appointed Volunteer Ambassadors of the Paso Robles Winery Association -- a duty that we take with great seriousness and sobriety. Wait, scratch that last part.

I know that Cowdog prefers his beer, but David Roth Weiss says that Augie is a "wine mutt" so I am sure he'll want to bring him along for the flight.

Maybe we can change this whole PayPal thing to the "Bribe Nick" fund to get him out here again.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46:41 pm

What do you mean the "pot jar" is for money??

BTW, I'll gladly play sommelier for a Paso Robles wine tasting ANYTIME. (How about I bring a camera so we can say I played one 'on TV?')

And maybe THIS will kill the thread: Did you hear about the Rabbi would wouldn't receive payment for performing a Bris? He only took tips.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:11:09 pm

Who doesn't enjoy a good circumcision joke, Nick?

I once made a video on the subject, but I used too short a VHS tape and the author kept complaining that the end was cut off.

I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to give babies a piece of gauze soaked in Manischewitz wine to suck on before the ceremony.

Having filmed a bris or two, it is the only type of video where you say "Cut" before you roll tape.

Sorry, my mom's family spent a lot of time in the Catskills.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:17:31 pm

Bah-dum-dump. Thanks folks. Mike will be here all week. Remember to tip your waiters and waitresses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]