BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew WrightDG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:58:19 pm

We are a small agency who up until recently delivered most spots on BetaSP. More clients are requesting delivery via DG Fastchannel, which is great, but we're still debating over what to charge. Anyone out there have any advice, or experience in this matter?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:10:26 pm

I just stick to my hourly rate. It makes things simple on my end and less reckless/carefree on their end. Some still wanna pay me my regular hourly rate to make dubs or burn DVDs. I'm now fine with that.
In the end, what I sell is my time. None of it is worth less based on how they elect to spend it.

Return to posts index

Mark GrossardtRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:00:20 pm

We just compute the DG invoice to us, tack on the standard agency percentage that we use for all other vendor services, and pass the cost on to the client.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:07:29 am

I've gone to a straight hourly fee (standard editing rate in fact) for prepping deliverables...

Whether it's getting it out to a deck or transcoding it and uploading it, it takes time to do, and there are hard costs as well.

Soon, clients won't want to pay for upload time and we'll have to give them 10GB sticks with their spot on it so they can upload it themselves on their cable modem.

Even in our little market, pre-compressed HD spot master files get sent directly to the station.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:36:24 pm

Hourly rate plus cost of DG delivery charge.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:52:30 pm

Why not treat this like you would the bills for fed-exing a tape to them? You can have the client direct billed, or handle it yourself and roll it into their overall bill. Time and materials fee for the encoding job, as per usual. The computer is tied up encoding, it can;t do anything else, so bill it like you would in similar jobs like digitizing footage.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:08:53 am

We would bill $40 to output each Beta tape for Station dubs. 4 stations $160. DG charges us $25 for each station we upload to, so since we don't have tape stock and it actually takes less time because we encode only once and upload once it is almost cheaper and certainly greener.

Same exact rate for station dubs. $40 each station. No beta tape, no dropouts, 48k audio no shipping.

Win win.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: DG Fastchannel --> What to Charge Client for Digital 'Dubs'?
by on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:16:16 am

duuude
Having to meet fed ex means you get to go home at 7.
;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]