BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Tips for leaving phone messages

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Herd
Tips for leaving phone messages
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:11:03 pm

Please leave your name first and phone number second. Then the message. Nothing is more annoying than waiting till the end of a message for the information I need.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Tips for leaving phone messages
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:18:33 pm

Repeat your name, company and phone number at the end of your message. Speak slowly and clearly enough I can figure out who you are.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:30:22 pm

And if you have a last name such as Kownacki or Weiss, be sure to enunciate clearly and spell it. There's nothing worse than listening to a message nine times and still not understanding who the frack was calling.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:49:07 pm

Say my name aloud (no one will think you're crazy): Richard Herd. It all rhymes together. I say on the phone "Herd" H.E.R.D. like a herd of cows!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:38:51 pm

[Steve Kownacki] "Repeat your name, company and phone number at the end of your message."

Wonderful advice, Steve. I hate it when people give you the name and number at the beginning of the message -- and by the time you get a pen and paper, the message is over -- but they do not say it again.

Ron

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:45:02 pm

No, no, no. You guys have it all wrong. These days you're supposed to say your name and number as fast and possible and MUMBLE. Or leave messages like "Hey, it's me." God forbid anyone should do anything to make using technology easier.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:49:00 pm

I always leave my number and spell my last name first. The only problem is I never seem to get to leave a message.

Hi I am calling from 301-555-1212 My last name is spelled T-U-F-E-K-C-I-O-G-L-U...BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP.

:(

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:54:18 pm

Nick hit the best point - long lucid message followed by hyperspeed phone number.
When I am leaving messages, I try to know what I am going to say before calling.
Keep it brief. The last thing you want is to be in the middle of something important when you run out of recording time. Our system goes to maybe 2 minutes, but others are shorter.

Just as important is to leave a good outgoing message on your own line, such as:

"Hi this is Mike Cohen. Please leave your name, reason for your call and your number."

or

"Hi this is Mike Cohen. I will be out of the office from Jan 1 through Jan 8. Please leave a message and I will get back to you upon my return. If you require immediate assistance, press zero and speak with so and so."

Of course, any important clients with pressing deadlines should know you are going away.

I give out my cell phone number on my outgoing message as it is a much more efficient way to reach me than leaving a voice mail. As it turns out, I get very little voice mail on my land line anymore.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:13:14 pm

Still it isn't as egregious as leaving the number only at the end, because...just hit repeat, and the number is waiting for you at the very beginning. You get your pen and paper while the person is rambling on, then when you're ready to write, hit repeat.

On my cell it's "1"; on my office it's "O."

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:34:37 pm

Great tips! & also, be responsive (as much as you can).....I am, our company is & it's always appreciated. If someone calls, give them a call back.

Jon Schilling | Director of Business Development
CalDigit Inc
phone 714-572-9889 X234
fax 714-572-9881
web http://www.caldigit.com
email jons@caldigit.com
skype cgijon
office 1941 Miraloma Ave. #B Placentia, CA 92870

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:04:11 pm

If they don't lay it on me from the get-go, it's obviously not that important. "hi, blaaa bla bla, words words words, doodoo butter, waisting time, babble babble, words..."
delete.

end of messages.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:17:34 pm

If it's an important message, or even a not-so-important message for an oh-so-important person, practice first. Start by writing it out.

No kidding.

The good news is that you'll leave the impression that you're intelligent, prepared, capable and efficient.

The bad news is that it will come around to bite you in the ass when they find out how you REALLY are.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:45:09 pm

lol
My brother and I are exact opposites. He writes and reads his greeting recording. Sounds like a robot on a 9th grade stage.
I call it just to laugh.
and he calls mine to do the same.
"not here dude, leave a message."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]