BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

the friend-making business

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
the friend-making business
on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:56:21 am

I just got back from a week long shoot in FL with the Hillstrand Bros. from the Time Bandit. Freakin cool dudes. We had a hoot. Actually managed to crash a boat in the gulf of mexico yesterday. lol The good news? Looks like I'm gonna shoot the next season of Dealiest Catch. I'm pretty stoked about that. The better news? I pitched a new show to em and they are as excited about it as I am. The best news? Regardless of what future gigs come from this, we all made friends for a lifetime. That's what I love about doing what I do. It's about life, not a shot.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: the friend-making business
on Aug 17, 2009 at 1:39:38 am

congrats on Deadliest Catch! Be sure to wear a sweater!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Aug 17, 2009 at 2:28:43 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "congrats on Deadliest Catch"

Grinner didn't say "Deadliest Catch", he said "Dealiest Catch", a new reality show on A&E that pairs up eligible Vegas pit dealers with Donald Trump's ex wives. I'd still where a sweater though...or maybe a sweater vest.

Ummm...yeah.....

Anyway, big time congratulations on verifying that the meaning of life, the universe and everything is most certainly not....42. And double congrats on a successful pitch and possibly nailing a place on one of the most successful reality shows ever. And I thought I was sumpin working on "Psychic Investigators"...WooHoo!!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 17, 2009 at 11:37:45 am

[grinner hester] "I just got back from a week long shoot in FL with the Hillstrand Bros. from the Time Bandit. Freakin cool dudes."

That's awesome! Small world too--Andy Hillstrand has a horse farm about a half hour from where I live, and I edited a Deadliest Catch story on him and his brother a few years ago when I was in news. I never got to meet the guy, but judging by the footage and interviews he seemed super cool and down to earth. Congrats on the new friends Grinner, and the deadliest catch bit too!

How long would you be shooting? The show always makes it look like a few weeks, but they're out there for a few months at a time, aren't they?

Michael.

-------------------------------
I'll be working late.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:25:48 pm

It's always important to remember that "friends" are what gets you work - not owning "all the gear", or knowing everything. The job I am going to do today, is from a entry level employee, that I was nice to (hard to believe - right ?) - that got his new job, and asked if they could bring me in for technical assistance. So being nice, and getting as many friends as possible in the biz is what it's all about.

Great news for you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:25:59 pm

It's a 3 month commitment and I head out in October for King Crab season. They'll start airing that season next April.
While I told Captain Johnathan I intend to just shoot one season, he placed his money on my getting my own boat after that. lol
Something about seeing an adrenaline junky in me. I reckin that's acurate but dude, I do better on beaches than icebergs.

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:53:45 pm

Wow, Grinner. I think I remember King Crab Fisherman being top of the list for that show, Most Dangerous Jobs (or something like that). So be careful. Hopefully we'll get to hear about your adventure when you get back via a COW podcast.

Bruce

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Creative Inspiration
Documentaries for those who love to create … and to be inspired.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:50:57 pm

Well that was before camera dudes with tunnel vision on a little LCD screen hopped on the boat. It's by far more dangerous than the fishermen themselves. It'll be aight though. If I weren't indestructible, I'd already be dead. ;)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 17, 2009 at 4:07:01 pm

[grinner hester] "That's what I love about doing what I do. It's about life, not a shot. "

So, with that in mind, just remember, it's one hand for you, one hand for the camera, and one hand for the boat...

Oops, that requires three hands doesn't it???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 17, 2009 at 6:02:28 pm

Grinner

Having seen the Deadliest Catch behind the scenes episode, all I can say is learn to cook some good food. Take care of the crew, they'll make sure you don't fall in an open hatch on deck. Sounds exciting.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:56:15 pm

The Time Bandit crew has a lil game I have already been preavied to. It's called lead the camera dudes into the crab hole and win a case of beer.
lol

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 18, 2009 at 10:45:32 pm

Another voice added to the congrats!

If you're not already steeped in sailing skills - go buy a good book on basic sailors knots.

I'd also recommend buying an excellent floating waterproor hip knife, belt clip, then spend a few days in a pitch-black room practicing until you can reach and deploy that blade in less than a second from any position, including hanging upside down.

The first advice will keep anyone from laughing if you're ever tempted to wrap a line around a cleat fishing reel style - (I did that - ONCE - when I was about 12 and remember the teasing to this day)

The second piece of advice you'll never actually need. But only because the SeaGods will know they can't mess with you in that particular way.

Have a wonderful time - including a safe trip home.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]